• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Andy1673

If a 701 works at all on Monday, it will be the first Bank Holiday that one has done so.

It looks like the same unit will operate all those services, but that doesn't mean it will be a 701.
Ok, Tuesday 28th May? It could be a pair of 450s not a 701. Agree. But I would like to hope it will be and it can be a 701 8-)8-)

I`ve just looked at RTT on Tue 28th and forgot about Bank Holiday )))
The new timetable since 3 June shows the same 2C36 -> 2C39 and 2U36 -> 2U39

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I can't quite make out from your photo what the circular device is near the top of the left side leaf of the 701 doors?
It's a light which displays an image when the door is not in use. For example at short platforms. I believe it also flashes when the doors are in motion

Likely next Monday we`ll see the first full day 701 diagram (2U09-2U16-2U19-2U26-2U29-2U36-2U39-2U46-2U49-2U56-2U59-2U66) Waterloo to Windsor
If so this is likely the "good news" waterlemon was referring to, and hopefully the other portion being "Things should start to speed up after that" happens afterwards.

andrew749

Talking of door buttons I have noticed both on a 701 and 710s when they are heavily loaded and someone is leaning on the button the doors do not open and the out of use light is displayed. However once the passenger stops leaning on the button they are able to be released. I've seen it happen a few times. Has anyone else noticed this?
The same thing happens on the 345s.

Joel_1902

701002 moved today as mentioned above, however I have it noted as moving on the 29th April 2024 to Long Marston, was this cancelled or was it a different unit please?

cheers

3973EXL

Established Member
701002 moved today as mentioned above, however I have it noted as moving on the 29th April 2024 to Long Marston, was this cancelled or was it a different unit please?

cheers
5Q86 29/04 was Caped

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can see the latest excuse from SWR for further delay:

"Labour are probably going to get in, meaning that we won't be running SWR from March so we won't bother doing anything more with the 701s now. Not that we were planning to have any in service by then anyway."

Andy1673

I wonder if there are any legal measures to force SWR introduce 701e into normal operation? Perhaps a very naive question...

Andy1673

Customers have the right to the normal level of service and should not suffer in overcrowded short trains (there is a threat there will be more short trains very soon).

You lot all overreact. The training course is being trialled 3rd of June. It's going to happen. New drivers are no longer being trained on 455s as well

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
You lot all overreact. The training course is being trialled 3rd of June. It's going to happen. New drivers are no longer being trained on 455s as well
You can hardly blame us given the ongoing debacle.

So the training is only being "trialled". That gives plenty of scope and excuses for further delay.

You can hardly blame us given the ongoing debacle.

So the training is only being "trialled". That gives plenty of scope and excuses for further delay.
Of course but I find comments regarding swr on purposely delaying the introduction for no particular reason quite silly. It's a train which has had a lot of money spent on it, a train which many people's job titles are based around so extra headcount, over 70% of them in sidings all across the country (some private) etc so it's in their best interest. I know people will always compare this argument to the 442s but in comparison that was a lot, lot smaller project.

I think we should at least see some positivity with this news, it means that the union problems are over

On Moderation
Of course but I find comments regarding swr on purposely delaying the introduction for no particular reason quite silly. It's a train which has had a lot of money spent on it, a train which many people's job titles are based around so extra headcount, over 70% of them in sidings all across the country (some private) etc so it's in their best interest. I know people will always compare this argument to the 442s but in comparison that was a lot, lot smaller project.

I think we should at least see some positivity with this news, it means that the union problems are over
Frankly the only evidence I will believe it is happening is when there is a regular beat rate of diagrams cutting over to 701s.

There has been claim and counter-claim about training starting or not on this thread from various people claiming to have definitive information. Given where we are, I don’t believe any of it until it happens.

Nogoohwell

This is a positive development. I suspect the lack of official communication about training and introduction is down to the many legal disputes that surround these units. I dont have any insider knowledge but when something turns up late, not as described, faulty and you then incur additional costs, lawyers are surely involved.
Just look at whos out of pocket: SWR paying higher leasing fees and maintenance on old stock.
DfT having to pay for storage.
Rockrail not getting leasing fees for the fleet.
Investors in Rockrail not getting dividends.
Then you have the works at Derby sitting on a cliff edge and needing work, Alstom could be dangling carrots to the DfT of future work for Derby if no action is taken. Plus an election now and this becomes a very complex situation that no one will want to talk about.

As a funny sidenote, the new Epsom Conservative candidate has said she will petition SWR to double services kn the Epsom line.
I did politely point out to her that the trains to do this were scrapped by her government, but shes not got back to me……

SWT_USER

Five years after they were supposed to be introduced it's difficult to be positive about anything SWR do.

RE your bold - once they are introduced presumably some of those jobs will no longer be required, in which case those people probably don't have much incentive to get them in to service quickly!

DMckduck97

Spot on with that! Why would SWR want to make life more difficult for themselves and not introduce a core traction which massively improves customer experience.

For those who wonder what the simulator actually looks like...
1716489064919.pngF1716489250586.jpeg
Quite a big upgrade in terms of graphics from those old 450 and 444 sims which have been there for the best part of 20 years now

Last edited:

DMckduck97

So currently we've got five stations that are classed as degraded dispatch right? Was this not the same stations that were degraded when this soft launch started? If not why is it regressing...

It doesn't inspire confidence when you've got these new trains supposedly ready for a new method of operation and still operating just over a third of it degraded.

If it's not the train, why approaching six months on are these infrastructure issues not fixed?

So currently we've got five stations that are classed as degraded dispatch right? Was this not the same stations that were degraded when this soft launch started? If not why is it regressing...

It doesn't inspire confidence when you've got these new trains supposedly ready for a new method of operation and still operating just over a third of it degraded.

If it's not the train, why approaching six months on are these infrastructure issues not fixed?
There's lighting upgrades at a few stations which need to occur I believe

DCtrains

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but CD/RA Dispatch is being called for at certain stations to help work around this camera/lighting issue

DMckduck97

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but CD/RA Dispatch is being called for at certain stations to help work around this camera/lighting issue
May aswell hand the doors over to the guard at that point, 3 potential methods of operation on a less than hour journey to Windsor is madness!

Gonna need a lot of more dispatchers at Vauxhall and clapham then because they can barely staff the main and southern platforms at Clapham as it is, nevermind permanent dispatchers on all platforms.

Towers

Established Member
Did actually get clarification for this, still getting trained but no longer goes on their licence as they don't sign them. Same case with the 458s apparently
That’s even more bonkers! Trained but don’t sign them, means retraining needed if they did ever need to sign them!