• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yep that tweet. I really do hope the units are not delayed - Maybe emergency stock could be loaned to the Lea Valley Lines if so, as stock is now over life expiry?
Not really such a problem as ‘life expiry’ of the existing stock. Yes it’s old, but isnt about to suddenly fail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlanFry1

Not really such a problem as ‘life expiry’ of the existing stock. Yes it’s old, but isnt about to suddenly fail.

Reliability of 317s which LO have inherited are dodgy not to say the least... 315s also have plenty of units with doors out of use, leakages etc

AlanFry1

Just an update: Plenty of the 315s and 317s out of operation today - causing short formed services and cancellation, apparently down to lack of avaliable stock. LO must find a replacement, and fast if the 710 is having problems.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It has happened plenty of times before in winter, so I'm not especially concerned. If there was that much of a crisis they could probably borrow some TfL Rail 315s to cover if they covered the branding up.

plcd1

Just an update: Plenty of the 315s and 317s out of operation today - causing short formed services and cancellation, apparently down to lack of avaliable stock. LO must find a replacement, and fast if the 710 is having problems.

There is no other "show in town" is there? New trains have been ordered and they will be made to work regardless. In the meantime the existing stock to soldier on. Heck even the 378s and 172s were evidently having trouble too so "different" is no great solution. On a slightly wider point I am beginning to wonder if Arriva have altered their train maintenance regimes as there seem to be far more train failures (even ignoring the weather) than under LOROL control. This seems a tad odd given the performance regime should be incentivising better maintenance but perhaps Arriva have traded cost reduction against the risk of performance penalties. They'd not be the first TOC to do that.

K.o.R

Edit: Agreed, theking, I like it! Wonder if there will be the yellow front end argument with this one too or whether orange will be seen as acceptable?

upload_2018-3-5_16-24-29.png

Much better ;)

please excuse my terrible paint.net skills...

Edit: Are they missing their bottom orange stripe? Presumably that's just a vinyl that's not been put on yet.

AlanFry1

Anyone know of any updates with the 710s on the lea valley lines? Hopefully something happens soon, or a replacement stock order at the very least, as again today suffered from severe 315s and 317s in reduction due to faulty ageing trains.

Harbon 1

View attachment 43568

Much better ;)

please excuse my terrible paint.net skills...

Edit: Are they missing their bottom orange stripe? Presumably that's just a vinyl that's not been put on yet.

Ooh no no no, these actually look quite good with orange fronts IMO!

I believe that is the case that the vinyl goes on at some point, presumably immediately prior to delivery.

K.o.R

If the front was fully fully orange then I might agree with you. As it is it just seems "unfinished".

samuelmorris

Established Member
Anyone know of any updates with the 710s on the lea valley lines? Hopefully something happens soon, or a replacement stock order at the very least, as again today suffered from severe 315s and 317s in reduction due to faulty ageing trains.

Judging by the severity of closures on the ELL/NLL it looks like the 378 fleet came off worst with the snow...
Short-forms and cancellations also abound with the GEML today from all the missing 321s. The LO 317s are pretty worn out but they're far from alone!

Chris172

Travelled through derby this morning and saw a 4 car class 710 not far outside derby station and a single 345 driver coach. Is that the bombardier works (I have never seen the place)

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Currently the Wikipedia article for the 710s only has an artist's impression rather than a proper photo. I would be most grateful if someone could upload their photo to Flickr as then I can put it on Wikipedia (which has very strict copyright rules).

Harbon 1

Here's another picture :)
5O2Ft7m.jpg

Do you work here too?!

D365

Veteran Member
Don't mind me...

I don’t know if it’s because there hasn’t been any rendering of the sort, but the Aventra doesn’t suit yellow in my eyes.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
I don’t know if it’s because there hasn’t been any rendering of the sort, but the Aventra doesn’t suit yellow in my eyes.

22538004352_8bc92b4c34_z.jpg

There was a render of it with a yellow front, albeit with the slightly older front end.

K.o.R

Replace all the orange other than the top stripe with Crossrail lilac and I think it would look very smart indeed. Even without yellow.

Domh245

Established Member
Oddly, to me, that looks like the back of a train rather than the front. Not sure why though.

The front and the back of most trains tend to change every time the train reverse. It's really only one-directional trams that I can think of that aren't! Unless you mean something else?

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The front and the back of most trains tend to change every time the train reverse. It's really only one-directional trams that I can think of that aren't! Unless you mean something else?
Yes, I know that 9999‱ of trains are bi-directional. It's just that for me, this render looks like this it will only be at the back of a train and not at the front.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/‱

goblinuser

Yes, I know that 9999‱ of trains are bi-directional. It's just that for me, this render looks like this it will only be at the back of a train and not at the front.
Like some type of DVT with a loco on the front?