• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Tonight there are the following paths

2032 Willesden TMD - Crewe 0014
0033 Crewe - Rugby 0208
0217 Rugby - Crewe 0401
0421 Crewe - Willesden TMD 0726

slick

With runs like that they could be signed off easily by the end of October. ( as long as it goes well)

G_A_C_C_C

RTT Actually shows these as CLASS 710 EMU....now that's rare for a new unit type....TFL trying to make a point? "Look! Look! they're here...and working!!" ?

hwl

Established Member
RTT Actually shows these as CLASS 710 EMU....now that's rare for a new unit type....TFL trying to make a point? "Look! Look! they're here...and working!!" ?
The test runs last night show as cl375 timed for 74mph max.

The in service 170s show as 710 on RTT

Tonights test runs are timed as 75mph Diesel Loco

Last edited:

BlyRF

Found this on my latest YT hunt.
Excuse the fellow trainspotters having a live Commentary and the delays to the unit actually moving till the near end of the clip:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Saw a couple of what I presume to be these units at Willesden today. I was travelling towards Kensal Rise on a LO 378 and the two units concerned were stabled at the very rear of the depot on the side furthest from the WCML. Any help with the ID would be massively appreciated, first ones I’ve seen.

Andrew1395

Saw a couple of what I presume to be these units at Willesden today. I was travelling towards Kensal Rise on a LO 378 and the two units concerned were stabled at the very rear of the depot on the side furthest from the WCML. Any help with the ID would be massively appreciated, first ones I’ve seen.
Not sure but if it helps they are four car not five car units.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Different frequency traction inverters than the 345s (and by the sound of it, noisier), that's unexpected. Wonder if that's anything to do with them being dual-voltage, or the 75mph running perhaps.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Anyone know which set was delivered from Old Dalby to Willesden on September 25/26 please?

TRAX

Established Member
Different frequency traction inverters than the 345s (and by the sound of it, noisier), that's unexpected. Wonder if that's anything to do with them being dual-voltage, or the 75mph running perhaps.

Nothing to do with the speed. Does the video show third rail running ?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well, not necessarily? If the units have a top speed of 75mph rather than 90 on the 345s they may well be geared differently. That wouldn't inherently change the control frequency but who knows they may have done it due to the different load required by that change in gearing? Or of course it could be an analysis of the potential interference avoidance requirements in those areas but given the range of areas the 710s are going to end up operating on, I'd be surprised if it were the latter.

Class 170101

Established Member
Tonight there are the following paths

2032 Willesden TMD - Crewe 0014
0033 Crewe - Rugby 0208
0217 Rugby - Crewe 0401
0421 Crewe - Willesden TMD 0726

Has this been a pair of 710s instead of a single unit to rack up the mileage quickly and as an insurance policy in the case of failure?

Skymonster

Established Member
If you notice any I have missed let me know
I don't think you've missed any deliveries, but several units are not on your blog... 710256-710259. For what it's worth I've seen 258 to 260 at Litchurch Lane but I don't think they have been released yet, and 710260 was being shunted around the yard today. Two 710s have also been returned from Old Dalby to Derby over the last few days, neither carrying numbers - one on Thursday and another today. 710269 went the other way - to Old Dalby - last Saturday. There are plenty more part-units outside at Bombardier but they don't carry obvious unit or carriage numbers.

03_179

Established Member
I don't think you've missed any deliveries, but several units are not on your blog... 710256-710259. For what it's worth I've seen 258 to 260 at Litchurch Lane but I don't think they have been released yet, and 710260 was being shunted around the yard today. Two 710s have also been returned from Old Dalby to Derby over the last few days, neither carrying numbers - one on Thursday and another today. 710269 went the other way - to Old Dalby - last Saturday. There are plenty more part-units outside at Bombardier but they don't carry obvious unit or carriage numbers.

Thanks SM ... I've now added these in to the list.

TRAX

Established Member
Well, not necessarily? If the units have a top speed of 75mph rather than 90 on the 345s they may well be geared differently. That wouldn't inherently change the control frequency but who knows they may have done it due to the different load required by that change in gearing? Or of course it could be an analysis of the potential interference avoidance requirements in those areas but given the range of areas the 710s are going to end up operating on, I'd be surprised if it were the latter.

There is a fair chance the trains are just technically limited to 75. Just remove the limiter and I’m sure it can do 90-100.
Just like the 378s are mechanically the same as Electrostars and can go at 90-100 as far as their traction package is concerned.

If they are indeed geared differently, it shouldn’t affect the way the converters sound, as their role doesn’t directly affect the actual motion of the train.

But the different current pickup (750 V vs. 25 kV OH) can change the sound of the converters (eg. Class 700). Hence why I asked if the video was shot on a 750 V zone or a 25 kV zone.

Both the known sounds of the Aventras (the 345 and this "new" 710 sound) are well known in Europe as these Bombardier traction packages have been in use on European Bombardier EMUs and BMUs for almost 20 years.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Of course, that'll be it. There's overheads visible in the only video I've seen so far with conclusive sound, but no visible pantograph and the other video (where the traction package isn't audible because the unit is at speed) is on third rail testing I believe. Yeah, thinking about it, it's bound to be that this is how the units sound on DC power versus AC. Curious that it isn't different on Electrostars but is on Aventras, but at least it's still far less obnoxious than Desiro Cities on DC power.

TRAX

Established Member
We’ll have confirmation soon enough anyway.

One could also wonder why the Desiro UK units weren’t affected by this either (350s on 25 k sounding the same as 450s on 750 V for example).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
We’ll have confirmation soon enough anyway.

One could also wonder why the Desiro UK units weren’t affected by this either (350s on 25 k sounding the same as 450s on 750 V for example).
Im sure people have previously reported 350 on AC & 450 on DC are slightly different, and this was also obvious when the 350/1s were used on the WLL service.

TRAX

Established Member
Yes there might be a slight difference as should be the case, but it’s not as radical as on the Desiro City units.

Class 466

Established Member
Or 376s sounding much louder and deeper than any other electrostar!