• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Zeremony

Just seen 730210 and 730212 at Crewe on a test run from Oxley. Seemed to be testing the PIS.

Meanwhile I'm on a 350/2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just seen 730210 and 730212 at Crewe on a test run from Oxley. Seemed to be testing the PIS.

Meanwhile I'm on a 350/2

They appear to have then gone to None Eaten, then back to Crewe. Hope the Crewe didn't consume any food during turnaround :D

I'll grab my jacket

Tony2

Can anyone advise on the car types for the 730/2 5 car sets, linked to the car numbers?

I have the following for the 730/0s from the ORR authorisation letter, but obviously not for the 730/2s yet:

730/0

490001 DMS
492001 PMSL
494001 DMS

730/2

490201 DMS?
491201 ???
492201 PMSL?
493201 ???
494201 DMS?

I take it that 730/1s would have had the same designations as 730/2 before renumbering, as I couldn’t see any first class sections in the units from videos or photos?

Thanks for any advice.

Silverlinky

5 car configuration....

DMC (Driving Motor Composite) 4942xx
M2L (Motor Type 2 Lavatory) 4932xx
PMLW (Pantograph Motor Lavatory Wheelchair) 4922xx
M1L (Motor Type 1 Lavatory) 4912xx
DM (Driving Motor) 4902xx

Whether this changes again due to the fact that the 1st class is removed and therefore the DMC is no longer "composite"

Last edited:

Tony2

5 car configuration....

DMC (Driving Motor Composite) 4942xx
M2L (Motor Type 2 Lavatory) 4932xx
PMLW (Pantograph Motor Lavatory Wheelchair) 4922xx
M1L (Motor Type 1 Lavatory) 4912xx
DM (Driving Motor) 4902xx

Whether this changes again due to the fact that the 1st class is removed and therefore the DMC is no longer "composite"
Thanks for that.

I believe that you are correct and the 494201 cars will be DMS.

jhy44

First time using the train via Birmingham in a long time just now, and had a 15 min wait at New Street; I got very lucky and saw a sparkly new 730 waiting on a platform as the 16:00 to Walsall so hopped on to have a look whilst it was stationary in the platform.

My main takeaways:

1) There is so much free space on these things; a huge area by the door, very wide passages between the seats, and of course the open walk-through vestibules. I feel like the % floor space available for standing must be one of the largest of any train I've seen in the UK? It's a world away from the cramped 323s which have very little standing space indeed, as I was reminded of as my 6-coach 323 departure shortly after was filled to the brim with sardine-like wet passengers cramming in with passengers left standing on the platform unable to board (due to a 27 minute gap in departures in rush hour caused by the Covid-era timetable and then an extra 7 min delay on top). That 300%-odd increase in standing space will be greatly appreciated/needed by cross-city passengers.

2) However, are these trains shorter than others? It felt to me that the ceiling on these trains is lower than usual, and lower than the 323? Is that right or was I imagining it?
Either way it does somewhat detract from the 'bigger/more space' vibe.

3) The lighting really is very blue/cold. Probably 4500/5000K on the CCCT. It was unpleasant and I'd need sunglasses to ride on these headache-free. A big change from the 323s which have lighting no cooler than 3000K I'd guess.

I do worry how quickly these will get vandalized though, they're almost too-nice for Birmingham; which generally has some of pretty appalling levels of vandalism (not just of trains but everything of everything) compared to other cities.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
2) However, are these trains shorter than others?

In length no, the vehicles are about 1m longer. Or do you mean...

It felt to me that the ceiling on these trains is lower than usual, and lower than the 323? Is that right or was I imagining it?

No, you're right, aircon stock needs lower ceilings for the ducting, 323s don't have aircon so the ceiling goes up to the roofline.

3) The lighting really is very blue/cold. Probably 4500/5000K on the CCCT. It was unpleasant and I'd need sunglasses to ride on these headache-free. A big change from the 323s which have lighting no cooler than 3000K I'd guess.

I didn't think that - it is too bright but to me it seems like a neutral white, unlike the horrible LED tubes that are being fitted to the 350s which are decidedly blueish and way too bright. It's bluer than the 323s though which have a very warm white, almost tungsten type colour.

1D54

Three WM sets currently outside the traincare depot at Crewe. Any idea which ones they are anybody?

Amnesiac

That was my thinking, however it’s much quieter than the 196s, to the point where it’s probably not even noticeable.
196 alerts are on the louder side I find. Definitely louder then a 350 I find, so I wouldn't read too much into that. I have my 730 training soon so I will be able to find out for sure then.

JW4

This 323 I’m on now back from Aston copes less well, it’s packed even tho it’s a 6 car.
Just saw 2R49 going fast through Erdington, it’s skipping Chester Road, Erdington and Gravelly Hill on its way to Aston. Tho that could be also to do with the Cross-Country’s changing the timings.
It coped very well with the Villa fans on it today. Shame about the other passengers. Dread to think how it would’ve been if it was a 350!

It will be interesting to see how the 6 car 730s cope on match-days on the Cross-City. 323s aren’t fit for that purpose.

Last edited:

This 323 I’m on now back from Aston copes less well, it’s packed even tho it’s a 6 car.
Just saw 2R49 going fast through Erdington, it’s skipping Chester Road, Erdington and Gravelly Hill on its way to Aston. Tho that could be also to do with the Cross-Country’s changing the timings.

It will be interesting to see how the 6 car 730s cope on match-days on the Cross-City. 323s aren’t fit for that purpose.
I think the 730/0 interior would have been good for London Overground services. Forward facing seats and plenty of standing space. The best of both worlds, more suitable than all longitudinal seating.

Liam L

They should cope much better judging by the fact a 3 car has coped alright today. I wouldn't like to think how the 3 car 323s are coping on matchdays since units have gone North.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A 3 coach 730 should cope a lot better with crowds than a 3 coach 323 owing to the wider aisles and large areas near the doors.

JW4

730007 is out today working the diagram that involves the 12:48 Wolverhampton to Walsall.

730021 is at Soho

Last edited:

DMUfan

Does anybody know if there is more than one 730 diagram running in the West Midlands yet? If so, do we know which services are now 730 operated? I fancy a trip out tomorrow but the first diagram is a bit tricky to catch.

87electric

Does anybody know if there is more than one 730 diagram running in the West Midlands yet? If so, do we know which services are now 730 operated? I fancy a trip out tomorrow but the first diagram is a bit tricky to catch.
Baffles me how you can't catch the diagram (SO709) that works all day long.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Have a look at Part Time Spotter - the WMT 730 is reported there and others are expected to be added there when known.

Liverpool 507

The latest issue of Modern Railways has some in-depth information about the rollout of 730s over the next year or so, and I figured I'd share some summarised notes as to what is planned to happen:

Diagrams on Walsall-Wolves won't increase until Cross City introduction in "spring," and then after that they'll start ramping up diagrams alongside the Chase Line runs.
Another all-day diagram is expected to start on WCML South in June, with 730/0s also deployed down there at weekends, releasing 350s for Birmingham and Trent Valley Services, which are particularly busy on Saturdays and Sundays. No /2s accepted, but they're likely to accept the first one in spring, with hopes to introduce them into passenger service in late 2024. /2s currently planned to be used on Birmingham-Liverpool as 5-car units, Euston-Crewe, and WCML South. On weekdays operation in pairs will be predominantly on WCML south at peak times, but at weekends more pairs of units will be used on Trent Valley services to accommodate leisure demand. 350/2s off lease at the end of 2024, but extensions to the lease are possible (and, let's be real, highly probable).

DfT looking into opening a new depot at Bescot (as per earlier plans), and a new toilet emptying facility has been built at Coventry North Yard.
With the Liverpool services, will they all be solely 730s eventually, regardless of the day? Are 350s likely to retain any presence on the route?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
A bit of general information, for spotters, if I may.

A fly past of Camden CSD (Euston to Harrow and Wealdstone) can reveal seven out of an estimated 11 730/0s there. I have done that around 15:00 weekdays. If you do it at about 17:45 the four service pairs have left on service trains (Part Time Spotter lists these) so the remnants are easier to see. Then you are left seeing what I assume are the test units. Lighting can be a challenge then.

Around 14:00-15:00 there is also a chance of encountering an 805 on test.

Thursday I spied 730003 and 730046 at Camden CSD that way (not coupled together) presumably still on test. I suspect another one was 730047.

AJDesiro

Wonder how long the 730/0s will stay on Euston - Tring/Bletchley services before they move away?
Until the 730/2s come into play around December. There’s enough 730/0s to allow the Cross City, Walsall-Birmingham-Wolverhampton and the Chase Line to go over to 730/0 operation alongside the runs on Euston-Tring/MKC.