• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Today I noted no spare 730/0s (for test/training ?) at Camden. There were the usual 730210, 730211, 730212 & 730217 there. Meanwhile I spotted 730023 at Willesden depot (sidings near mainline but behind 720142).

I have noticed recently that 730s have the unit number in white on black just above the right hand cab window close to the gangway. I do not think all 730s have this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJDesiro

Today I noted no spare 730/0s (for test/training ?) at Camden. There were the usual 730210, 730211, 730212 & 730217 there. Meanwhile I spotted 730023 at Willesden depot (sidings near mainline but behind 720142).

I have noticed recently that 730s have the unit number in white on black just above the right hand cab window close to the gangway. I do not think all 730s have this.
All 730s accepted have this AFAIK, there are a few undergoing test without them, notably some of the earlier 730/2s.

Liam L

Any ideas if there be any 730s on the cross city next week. As it's only the south side which will be operating.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I haven't seen the diagrams but I would imagine at least 1 will be out for training and competency reasons.

JW4

Does anyone know which sets are out on Cross City today? I know 008/020 are on one of the Bromsgrove diagrams
730009 and the Hurst Street pride one are also on Bromsgrove. I think there’s a third pair on a Redditch diagram as well

ABB125

Established Member
730009 and the Hurst Street pride one are also on Bromsgrove. I think there’s a third pair on a Redditch diagram as well
Thanks. I think I'm planning to get the Redditch diagram later. I suspect it's 012/032 (based on what's been running earlier this week) but would be good to know for certain if possible!

JW4

There has to be a Redditch diagram, as one of the Bromsgrove ones spends the night in the bay at Four Oaks before becoming the Redditch diagram
Yeah that’s what I thought, one of the two pairs I saw I’m almost certain was on Four Oaks/Redditch. The Lichfield/Bromsgrove being 009&018.

Geeves

Established Member
There was definitely a Redditch one yesterday so you'd guess that same today! On the four Oaks Redditch was only 2 six cars, one was a 730. The rest were all 3 car 323s. LTV was all 6 cars with two 6 car 730s

AJDesiro

WMT have released a press release detailing the naming of 730018, alongside its pride livery. It also announces that the 730/0s have been dubbed the “landmark class”, with all units receiving a name after a West Midlands landmark.

West Midlands Railway: New train named "Hurst Street" ahead of Birmingham Pride
Ahead of this weekend’s Birmingham Pride festival, West Midlands Railway (WMR) has today named one of its newest trains “Hurst Street” in honour of the city’s famous Gay Village.

The train, which also features a stylish rainbow diamond motif and the word PRIDE, is one of the new Class 730 fleet being rolled out on the Cross City Line through Birmingham.

"Hurst Street" - also known as 730018 - is the first train in the fleet to be officially named. The fleet has been dubbed the ‘Landmark Class’, with further trains due to be named after other landmark locations across the West Midlands in coming months.

Jonny Wiseman, WMR customer experience director, said:

“We are proud to play an active part in our communities and celebrate the diversity of our people, our passengers and our region.

“The Gay Village is a huge part of Birmingham’s culture and identity and we are proud that the Hurst Street name is the first to adorn our newest train fleet.”

Lawrence Barton DL, festival director of Birmingham Pride, said:

"Birmingham Pride is delighted to have partnered with West Midlands Railway for our 2024 celebrations.

"This inspirational Pride Train will act as a powerful symbol of hope and commitment in our ongoing mission to realise full equality for our LGBTQ+ community in the West Midlands and beyond."

Colleagues from across WMR joined the official photocall at Lichfield Trent Valley on the Cross City Line to launch the new name, including members of the company’s Aspect group, supporting the LGBTQA+ community.

Staff from WMR, including workers from on-train and head office, will be among those taking part in the iconic Birmingham Pride parade on Saturday.

The Class 730 fleet is part of a £1billion investment in new trains and infrastructure by West Midlands Trains, parent company of WMR. The fleet entered service on the Cross City Line in April, with more and more trains being rolled out onto the route through the summer. For more information visit the WMR web site.

Geeves

Established Member
Looks to be the same as the last few days JW4 on the Cross-city

008+020
009+018
012+032

046 is (was) on the Wolves work

Otis

Can anyone identify the pair of 730s leaving Lichfield at about 1010 today please? I think the service was 2O22 (seen crossing the M6 Troll Road)

crosscity

warwickshire

On Moderation
Sunday 26th May 2024, for a first time on a Sunday, apologies don't know numbers or diagrams, but at Birmingham New Street around 1510 approximately on the 2G27 ex 1442 from Bromsgrove was a pair of 730s, which also passed me at Longbridge, whilst riding 323s today,
Meanwhile also observed on 2P28, ex 1727 Redditch to Lichfield Trent Valley was another pair of 730s, which also passed me Sutton Coldfield area,
So 730s, are now diagrammed at least on a Bromsgrove and Redditch on Sunday as well.
One each of those services as well.
The days of solid 323 only work on Cross City, appears to have been, Sunday 19th May 2024,
So Sunday 26th May 2024, heralds all week diagrams now for 730s, a new era is nearly here.

With once again most likely, Sunday 19th May 2024, going into another piece of history of being final day for complete full solid 323 cross city work. However wondering how many 730 diagrams are planned for Sunday 02th June 2024, especially during the week on Cross City, for the new Timetable, anyone know, any information much appreciated.

Last edited: