• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

AJDesiro

12 car 350 is due for its 2nd test run on Trent Valley services, with the plan to introduce it as a way to improve capacity on weekends. Staff are very reluctant to accept 12 car north of Rugby but it has been proven that UDS from 12-4 does work so it will become an option for planners.

This hasn't been tested on RUG-BHM yet as far as I'm aware.
Does that mean that the idea of running 730s on the Trent Valley is dead, or is this an interim measure? Either way, the capacity improvements will be welcome!

Just curious, presumably these will have to use a different platform at Crewe, since platform 7 is too short?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
UDS from 12 to 4 has always worked. I'm your witness, having boarded possibly the only peak time 12 car to ever call at Bletchley platform 6 a few years back!

(Due to a points failure it ran via the Up Bletchley and into 6 - may no longer be possible, I forget exactly what was changed about the layout).

Does it look like it will be 2025 until we see the LNR 730s enter service? I think only 2 have been built so far.

The 90 mph maximum speed for the 730/0s could be a problem when they take over local services out of Euston. I am not sure that is fast enough, espeically if running late. It won't be an issue when they transfer to WMR services (in the distant future, the way things are going).

AJDesiro

Does it look like it will be 2025 until we see the LNR 730s enter service? I think only 2 have been built so far.

The 90 mph maximum speed for the 730/0s could be a problem when they take over local services out of Euston. I am not sure that is fast enough, espeically if running late. It won't be an issue when they transfer to WMR services (in the distant future, the way things are going).
There’s only around 9 or 10 more 730/0s to go, and they’re firing them out at a speed of around one per week, it shouldn’t be much longer until we start seeing the first LNR examples, I wouldn’t imagine.

Considering they have far better acceleration than 319s, and will initially be running the services patched with 319 (officially 321) timings, it shouldn’t be an issue.

There’s only around 9 or 10 more 730/0s to go, and they’re firing them out at a speed of around one per week, it shouldn’t be much longer until we start seeing the first LNR examples, I wouldn’t imagine.

Considering they have far better acceleration than 319s, and will initially be running the services patched with 319 (officially 321) timings, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Do you think the LNR units could be in service by next summer?

AJDesiro

Do you think the LNR units could be in service by next summer?
I know nothing about the build/testing process, just that there’s not many WMR units left to be built now. But based off of a rough estimate, I’d imagine we’d see the first unit in service at some point next year.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The slows on the south WCML south of MKC are 100mph at best and quite a fair bit is below that. Doubt it will be an issue, the acceleration will probably offset it, a bit like Chiltern's 165s can mostly keep 100mph 168 timings.

Are they going to replace 350/2s on these? I thought there were just going to be a small number coming in so the 319s could be scrapped, and 319s are really sluggish so they'll easily keep those timings.

AJDesiro

The slows on the south WCML south of MKC are 100mph at best and quite a fair bit is below that. Doubt it will be an issue, the acceleration will probably offset it, a bit like Chiltern's 165s can mostly keep 100mph 168 timings.

Are they going to replace 350/2s on these? I thought there were just going to be a small number coming in so the 319s could be scrapped, and 319s are really sluggish so they'll easily keep those timings.
A driver that I spoke to (I realise they're not the best source all the time) said that there were plans to see off the first few 350/2s with the 730/0s running out of Euston.

Energy

Established Member
A driver that I spoke to (I realise they're not the best source all the time) said that there were plans to see off the first few 350/2s with the 730/0s running out of Euston.
Historically LNWR kept 350/2 usage low as Porterbrook did charges depending on how used they were, I'm not sure what the lease is like now but I'd expect Porterbrook to want the 323s first given their future customer.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
UDS from 12 to 4 has always worked. I'm your witness, having boarded possibly the only peak time 12 car to ever call at Bletchley platform 6 a few years back!

(Due to a points failure it ran via the Up Bletchley and into 6 - may no longer be possible, I forget exactly what was changed about the layout).
Seimens have always said there's no reason why it wouldn't work, just LNR never signed it off. It's slightly awkward in its announcing for UDS but not issue with working it. Just needs UDS checks for all platforms and then it will be fine.
Does that mean that the idea of running 730s on the Trent Valley is dead, or is this an interim measure? Either way, the capacity improvements will be welcome!

Just curious, presumably these will have to use a different platform at Crewe, since platform 7 is too short?
730s will still run as 10car units. The 12 car 350 is a temporary idea to boost capacity at weekends due to overcrowded services. Depots would rather have 2tph on the Trent instead but not going to happen.

I believe the first 730s will be entering into service at the end of the month on the Tring stoppers.

AJDesiro

730s will still run as 10car units. The 12 car 350 is a temporary idea to boost capacity at weekends due to overcrowded services. Depots would rather have 2tph on the Trent instead but not going to happen.

I believe the first 730s will be entering into service at the end of the month on the Tring stoppers.
That's certainly good to hear, the Trent Valley service needs any form of capacity enhancement it can get.

It'll be interesting how smoothly the 730 introduction goes when compared to the questionable 196 introduction.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
That's certainly good to hear, the Trent Valley service needs any form of capacity enhancement it can get.

It'll be interesting how smoothly the 730 introduction goes when compared to the questionable 196 introduction.
Not heard any grumbles from drivers who did initial testing at Melton Mowbray, quite the opposite. Haven't heard much about issues during fault free running either so it sounds far more promising than the 196s!

Have you heard anything more about the interiors of the LNR 730s? Would you still expect them to have 2+2 seating?

12guard4

From what I have been told by my ex WMT colleague they have significant issues to resolve. I believe SCDR_WMR knows the plans not reality unfortunately.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
From what I have been told by my ex WMT colleague they have significant issues to resolve. I believe SCDR_WMR knows the plans not reality unfortunately.
There's no need for insults. I'm passing on the internal information that was issued last week, and I'm a CURRENT WMT employee.

I haven't said there is a guarantee that they will be in service at the end of the month, just that this is a date given by the exec team.

Drivers training has already begun, conductors not yet from my understanding though that won't necessarily take too long. Haven't heard any technical reasons for any hold ups and there are plenty of units that have done fault free running so should only need signing off for public use.

boxerdog

I would agree there's work to be done.....

There's no need for insults. I'm passing on the internal information that was issued last week, and I'm a CURRENT WMT employee.

I haven't said there is a guarantee that they will be in service at the end of the month, just that this is a date given by the exec team.

Drivers training has already begun, conductors not yet from my understanding though that won't necessarily take too long. Haven't heard any technical reasons for any hold ups and there are plenty of units that have done fault free running so should only need signing off for public use.
I think the exec team has an aspiration but there are outstanding issues

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I for one would just like to say that I'm very grateful for the internal information you share, and apologise for the (unintentionally I'm sure) careless way in which that post about you was worded.

Let's hope no one at Euston/Wembley/Harrow/Bushey/Watford mistakes these bright orange Aventras for London Overground trains! True, they've got bits of purple and a gangway, but they still look a lot more like a 710 than a LNR-liveried 350! :E

Class15

On Moderation
I for one would just like to say that I'm very grateful for the internal information you share, and apologise for the (unintentionally I'm sure) careless way in which that post about you was worded.

Let's hope no one at Euston/Wembley/Harrow/Bushey/Watford mistakes these bright orange Aventras for London Overground trains! True, they've got bits of purple and a gangway, but they still look a lot more like a 710 than a LNR-liveried 350! :E
Wembley? LNWR doesn’t call there (at least not regularly)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Wembley? LNWR doesn’t call there (at least not regularly)
Okay, I've certainly taken a 350 to Wembley Central several times but if they've stopped serving it, it's hardly here nor there to what I was saying; they still serve Euston, Harrow, Bushey and Watford, and knowing some of the public, I wouldn't expect the fact the orange train is turning up on a different platform from usual to deter some from thinking "Ooh, there's the next Overground service!"

Not that I'd have any sympathy, if one can't look at the boards and listen to the announcements.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll echo that about the welcome information from @SCDR_WMR which is always appreciated :) It'll be great if the 730s do enter service this month, but it feels like a 'good things come to those who wait' situation. I suspect the 730s will be most welcome when they arrive, based on my experience with the 196s!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'll echo that about the welcome information from @SCDR_WMR which is always appreciated :) It'll be great if the 730s do enter service this month, but it feels like a 'good things come to those who wait' situation. I suspect the 730s will be most welcome when they arrive, based on my experience with the 196s!

They (the WMR ones) aren't as nice as the 196, having harder seats and no spacers between them. However I suspect anyone who's ever frozen to death on one of the several of the LNR 319s that have no working heating (apparently the floor would have to come out to fix it so it's in the "too hard" bucket) will be very glad of one. And 319 seats (bar the Chapmans in the /2s) don't have spacers either.

AJDesiro

Dunno if anybody’s seen, but there’s an actual interior photo of the /0s online now: https://www.mattypsrailwaypics.com/class-730-emu.html

Seats look to be the slightly wider priority seats on the GA 720s, so not the 2+3 width variant, though we can’t be sure until they’re actually in service. Of course, it is well known these will be using the Kiel seats.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Seats look to be the wider priority seats on the GA 720s, so not the 2+3 width variant. Of course, it is well known these will be using the Kiel seats.

All the seats on the GA 720s are the same width. The ones at the ends in 2+2 formation just have spacers against the sidewall. The 730/0 doesn't (this to me is a very bad decision).

The ones that look offset aren't wider either, it's just because of the body-end taper.

AJDesiro

All the seats on the GA 720s are the same width. The ones at the ends in 2+2 formation just have spacers against the sidewall. The 730/0 doesn't (this to me is a very bad decision).

The ones that look offset aren't wider either, it's just because of the body-end taper.
I’ll have to get the tape measure out next time I’m on a 720!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Like night and day with what they have now. Worlds apart from the rank 323s, with their clinical bright interior, muffled TrainFX PIS, 3+2 upright seating and lack of tables. Well done WMT and Alstom.

Certainly an upgrade on a 323. Less convinced it'd beat a 350/2, so I hope the LNR versions do have armrests or at least spacers.