• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I would have like to see 745s run through to Cambridge via Stansted but possibly the single lead Stansted North Junction limits that?

It’s the Stansted tunnel (which can deal with 6tph each way max) and lining up the relevant paths London - Stansted - Cambridge. It would be doable, but st the expense of the Stansted - Norwich’s. Would also need more units of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member

Greater Anglia have today announced more services running from 13th September, including Norwich in 90 services: 08.00 from Norwich and 17.00 from Liverpool Street.

Full details at https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/abo.../more-greater-anglia-trains-due-run-september
The 17:00 is a long established first stop Ipswich path. The service reverts back to what it was prior to the Diss call being added some years ago.

I don’t have a copy of the pre Covid timetable but the 18:00 Ipswich - Norwich connection should only be a few minutes slower for the Diss passengers. It will also reduce the fifty minute gap between the 16:30 and the 17:02 arriving at Stowmarket.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 17:00 is a long established first stop Ipswich path. The service reverts back to what it was prior to the Diss call being added some years ago.

I don’t have a copy of the pre Covid timetable but the 18:00 Ipswich - Norwich connection should only be a few minutes slower for the Diss passengers. It will also reduce the fifty minute gap between the 16:30 and the 17:02 arriving at Stowmarket.
18:11 Stowmarket 18:23 Diss so less than 5 minutes. Still bet it won’t go down well. Easy to add stops but you try & take them away.

17:02 terminates Ipswich now.

Last edited:

Abbo

18:11 Stowmarket 18:23 Diss so less than 5 minutes. Still bet it won’t go down well. Easy to add stops but you try & take them away.

What class of train will run the 1800 Ipswich to Norwich. Previously described as a 'stopper' so does that included Needham Market ?

dk1

Veteran Member
What class of train will run the 1800 Ipswich to Norwich. Previously described as a 'stopper' so does that included Needham Market ?
Defo not Needham would be a bit of an overkill with Peterborough & Cambridge trains stopping either side.

trebor79

Established Member

So the 1700 ex LST won't have a 1702 stopper running behind it as there was pre-COVID? So Diss passengers have to change at Ipswich? Doesn't seem like a huge issue to me, if it really is only a few minutes, although it's always annoying when you have to pack the laptop etc away early. I guess as loadings recover further the 1702 can be reinstated.

dk1

Veteran Member
So the 1700 ex LST won't have a 1702 stopper running behind it as there was pre-COVID? So Diss passengers have to change at Ipswich? Doesn't seem like a huge issue to me, if it really is only a few minutes, although it's always annoying when you have to pack the laptop etc away early. I guess as loadings recover further the 1702 can be reinstated.
No plans to reinstate the 17:02 from what I can see as not really needed. Only ever ran beyond Stowmarket for operational convenience.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The 745 is capable of doing Norwich in 90 with Ipswich, Diss calls easily, unless slow 321s mean that it cannot be sped up south of Ipswich which means it can only make up time by omitting Diss. Otherwise this makes little sense.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 745 is capable of doing Norwich in 90 with Ipswich, Diss calls easily, unless slow 321s mean that it cannot be sped up south of Ipswich which means it can only make up time by omitting Diss. Otherwise this makes little sense.
It all makes for a quirky timetable.

Established Member

Currently you are still stuck with a total of [6] minutes recovery time on a Liverpool St to Norwich schedule as specified by the timetable planning rules. NR historically have never been keen on reducing recovery time as it ultimately can be used to disguise minor delays that could otherwise cost them money. Whether GBR will have any interest in reducing journey times is as yet unknown.

Class 170101

Established Member
No plans to reinstate the 17:02 from what I can see as not really needed. Only ever ran beyond Stowmarket for operational convenience.
Too many trains at the Norwich end if it runs through. The 18:00 Ipswich to Norwich comes off 16:32 ex LST and then forms 19:30 Norwich to Liv St vice 17:02 ex Liv St.

Adrian1980uk

Booked for a 720 too!! Interesting stuff.

Yes, it'll be interesting which class of trains are allocated where, particularly stansted express. After a month or so we'll get to see the normal operation now near normal timetables resume

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, it'll be interesting which class of trains are allocated where, particularly stansted express. After a month or so we'll get to see the normal operation now near normal timetables resume
Think it will still be a little all over the shop as the Stansted Express isn’t going back to normal so the 745/1s will need rotating in service to keep the mileage levels similar.

On Moderation
Think it will still be a little all over the shop as the Stansted Express isn’t going back to normal so the 745/1s will need rotating in service to keep the mileage levels similar.
Until there are sufficient Aventras available the 745s will have to stay in the Stansteds, otherwise there’s not enough stock for West Anglia.

Adrian1980uk

Until there are sufficient Aventras available the 745s will have to stay in the Stansteds, otherwise there’s not enough stock for West Anglia.
Thats assuming the 720 subfleet plan goes ahead. In 5 to 10 years if the traffic follows the pre‐pandemic predictions probably all the 745s will be taken up on the intercity services. Wouldn't hold my breath on that though

dk1

Veteran Member
Oh yes. I meant however that as the Stansted Express will continue at around 50% of normal frequency those 745/1s will need to operate on some Norwich services vice 745/0s to keep the mileage similar.

Alfie1014

The 06:50 SX Colchester to Norwich is an interesting one, empties from Norwich and timing load a 755, it didn’t exist pre pandemic running at this time did it? As it starts running from 2nd Sept, (like the Ingatestone school train) I assume it’s for students returning after the holidays?

dk1

Veteran Member
The 06:50 SX Colchester to Norwich is an interesting one, empties from Norwich and timing load a 755, it didn’t exist pre pandemic running at this time did it? As it starts running from 2nd Sept, (like the Ingatestone school train) I assume it’s for students returning after the holidays?
Yes it was the 06:00 ex-Liv St.

Established Member

Even in September there are still some InterCity trains missing, if RTT is fully up to date.

ashkeba

Established Member
Which conveniently ignores that the primary Cambridge-London service is to King’s Cross using 387s. It also ignores that 379s are also common in Cambridge.
Primary for whom? The 14 minute saving on a King's Cross express over a Liverpool Street express will be lost in walking and underground if your destination is the square mile.

And the 379s are passable but aren't they going off lease when all 7xx fleets are in service?

If Stansted traffic after covid and with climate change measures does not need 745s, put some on Cambridge-City of London expresses and get some good PR restoring Intercity service to Cambridge. It'll be a bigger PR win than restarting the Ninnies.

dk1

Veteran Member
If Stansted traffic after covid and with climate change measures does not need 745s, put some on Cambridge-City of London expresses and get some good PR restoring Intercity service to Cambridge. It'll be a bigger PR win than restarting the Ninnies.
I have to disagree. Makes no sense keeping them on the WAML. Cambridge to London travel for the greater part of a weekday & all weekend is very much in favour of Kings Cross. 745s would be wasted on this route compared to the far better loadings in first & standard seen on the time honoured IC route to Norwich.

samuelmorris

Established Member
720s are not like 317s or 321s. They are fairly comfortable, quiet and ride quite well. They are more than adequate for the journey times involved from Cambridge, especially on the fast services.

720s are not like 317s or 321s. They are fairly comfortable, quiet and ride quite well. They are more than adequate for the journey times involved from Cambridge, especially on the fast services.
I quite enjoyed my short trip on a 720. It was more comfortable than a 321 and no rattling doors.

I was going to comment that it was disappointing that the first off peak service at 8:30 from Norwich hasn’t returned but the 8:03 arrives at LST dead on 10 in the timetable. That will now be the first off peak service.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Cambridge to London travel for the greater part of a weekday & all weekend is very much in favour of Kings Cross. 745s would be wasted on this route compared to the far better loadings in first & standard seen on the time honoured IC route to Norwich.
Totally agree. The Cambridge trains are very lightly loaded north of Bishop's Stortford.

Status
Not open for further replies.