• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 769 for London Gateway freight trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I get that it isn't at the passenger platforms of a public station, but roll cages are used every day on and off of units that are effectively 319s with a different cab, no intra carriage corridors and roller doors. It's a proven system used by the Royal Mail trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SussexLad

I get that it isn't at the passenger platforms of a public station, but roll cages are used every day on and off of units that are effectively 319s with a different cab, no intra carriage corridors and roller doors. It's a proven system used by the Royal Mail trains.

So at a passenger station you'd need to close off the platform(s). Which is my point.

I'm not saying its impossible to do, far from it. I think its a great idea, just a bit harder than it looks to set it all up.

londonteacher

So at a passenger station you'd need to close off the platform(s). Which is my point.

I'm not saying its impossible to do, far from it. I think its a great idea, just a bit harder than it looks to set it all up.
Why would you? The train could just have an increased dwell time at stations with staff ready to take off or put on as soon as it arrives. Most of the stations it will be calling at have multiple platforms so shouldn't get in the way!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Why would you? The train could just have an increased dwell time at stations with staff ready to take off or put on as soon as it arrives. Most of the stations it will be calling at have multiple platforms so shouldn't get in the way!
There's a limited number of stations or platforms where these services will call, so if the initial trial is to be a success there needn't be a huge overhaul of the safety case for those locations. However any activity at those locations (initially just Liverpool Street as far as I can tell) will be the responsibility of the operators of those stations and the operator of the service. The safety issues shouldn't necessarily stop the job, but they do have to be taken into consideration. At Liverpool Street, those situations are easily managed but if the initial trial service is a success, expansion of the service (to places such as Manchester Piccadilly or Leeds) will need to be carefully orchestrated.

To be honest, anything that increases use of rail and reduces road transport should be encouraged but it needs to be done in the right way. Those organisations responsible for safety have a duty of care to all parties affected, so they aren't going to authorize anything that leaves them open to responsibility if things go wrong. Some of the health and safety things often get portrayed as "health and safety gone mad" but when things go awry questions will inevitably be asked. That's why I'm in favour of state control in situations like this, but it's a tough balancing act to manage something that hasn't been tried before.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Also, can we please rather assume that as they've got as far as converting the rolling stock and publicly announcing that services start soon that they might, maybe, have considered the issues and already have a plan agreed, or at least close to agreement, with Network Rail?

Darandio

Established Member
Also, can we please rather assume that as they've got as far as converting the rolling stock and publicly announcing that services start soon that they might, maybe, have considered the issues and already have a plan agreed, or at least close to agreement, with Network Rail?

You'd think so, wouldn't you. It seems strange that anonymous forum members feel that they know better.

SussexLad

You'd think so, wouldn't you. It seems strange that anonymous forum members feel that they know better.

Think about it, you'd have to change the platform allocations, deal with any conflicts (service x can only use certain platforms, but theyll all be occupied), find a specific platform that is best suited and try to find a use for the staff that are sat around their waiting for the trains or subcontract it out.

Its not a simple thing which is probably why their trialing it. They've made great progress with the stock and service planning. A great innovation and I think the concept is great. Not an easy thing to do, their efforts should be commended!

I'm just being realistic that you shouldn't paint it as an easy thing to do, it seems quite complicated.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Think about it, you'd have to change the platform allocations, deal with any conflicts (service x can only use certain platforms, but theyll all be occupied), find a specific platform that is best suited and try to find a use for the staff that are sat around their waiting for the trains or subcontract it out.

Its not a simple thing which is probably why their trialing it. They've made great progress with the stock and service planning. A great innovation and I think the concept is great. Not an easy thing to do, their efforts should be commended!

I'm just being realistic that you shouldn't paint it as an easy thing to do, it seems quite complicated.

As operations go, it is far, far more simple than, say, a sleeper train. It’s no more difficult than the postal trains now, or newspaper and parcel trains of not so long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.