• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 799 mainline trials

Northerngirl

It looks like the class 799 is back in service again, around Birmingham. Any ideas what they are testing as I though it had been scraped

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The man with the coat isn't the driver.

The man with the hi-vis isn't, but the other one (on the right) is faffing with his jacket after starting moving. Not the most dangerous thing in the world but really not a good look when he could have ensured he was ready and comfortable to drive before releasing the brake.

Established Member
The man with the hi-vis isn't, but the other one (on the right) is faffing with his jacket after starting moving.

So he was, I only noticed that after watching the video again. Note to self: watch the video again before replying.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
That's not clag, it's steam. A familiar sight at Kidderminster, but not usually on the Network Rail tracks!

It does look odd coming out of a 319 though!
I was joking - I’ve been involved with the fuel cell industry on and off for nearly 20 years in various capacities. I am very familiar with fuel cell chemistry, shall we say!

More visible exhaust than a 769 on diesel!

richa2002

Established Member
Doesn't look great for the driver there - faffing about with his coat while starting moving! No great danger but not a fantastic image to portray.
Truly in awe of this armchair-ity. Do people have no limit?

Suraggu

Doesn't look great for the driver there - faffing about with his coat while starting moving! No great danger but not a fantastic image to portray.
Genuinely baffled by this. A driver taking off his coat whilst departing isn't a great look for a business? Have we hit that level of madness now?

Fincra5

Established Member
Nice to see it working.

All they need to do is work at getting the kit under the train or in the roof!

66701GBRF

The man with the hi-vis isn't, but the other one (on the right) is faffing with his jacket after starting moving. Not the most dangerous thing in the world but really not a good look when he could have ensured he was ready and comfortable to drive before releasing the brake.
Seriously? The mind boggles with this place sometimes. There is no rule against taking your jacket off, or indeed putting one on, when in motion.

fgwrich

Established Member
Nice to see it working.

Indeed. Still one of the more unique experiences I’ve had though, travelling in swivel chairs in a mobile boardroom through the Worcestershire countryside.

Attachments

• IMG_9217.jpeg
    IMG_9217.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_9218.jpeg
    IMG_9218.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9222.jpeg
    IMG_9222.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_9219.jpeg
    IMG_9219.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 284

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed. Still one of the more unique experiences I’ve had though, travelling in swivel chairs in a mobile boardroom through the Worcestershire countryside.
Glad to see you’ve had the pleasure. I’ve only had the ’static’ experience.

Fincra5

Established Member
Could do with it as a Mobile Training Centre ;)

Northerngirl

Never thought I'd see a 319 looking so fresh and modern, I wish northern would use seat fabric like that

fgwrich

Established Member
Whats it like travelling on
Unusual to say the least but an enjoyable journey. As a unit it still makes all the sounds of a 319, in the passenger saloon it still feels like a 319 but refurbished to a high standard. In the boardroom, like no other boardroom I’ve been in before. Normally I’d advocate the removal of the opening windows for such a coach but given the heat we had last summer, they were a welcome feature!

Invincible

Nice to see it working.

From a press release 3 years ago they aim to do this
There are mixed reviews from Germany on Hydrogen trains for various reasons (see the speculation thread), but they are continuing with presumably German Government support and offering passengers vouchers for delays.

The 799 from the press release say Porterbrook and Birmingham University are putting over a million pounds into it.So presume some students are involved with the project, does not say if the UK Government are investing in it. The 2 other UK hydrogen/battery train projects seemed to have stopped.Alstom and Eversholts plan to make 10 new hydrogen/battery Aventras have not progressed.

DM352

The space taken by the hydrogen coach reminds me of the engine space needed by the 4 car 210.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses vs the battery approach with other classes.

Northerngirl

Was the tri mode iet supposed to be hydrogen or battery. Given its ridiculously high floors, they could definitely fit the equipment under there

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Truly in awe of this armchair-ity. Do people have no limit?

Genuinely baffled by this. A driver taking off his coat whilst departing isn't a great look for a business? Have we hit that level of madness now?

Seriously? The mind boggles with this place sometimes. There is no rule against taking your jacket off, or indeed putting one on, when in motion.

You are in a stationary vehicle you are about to drive.

Do you:

1. Ensure everything is in order before releasing the brake and moving off?

Or

2. Move off in a hurry before deciding to stand up and take your jacket off?

Which of those is the safer option seems obvious to me. It might not break a rule, but it's definitely not a good look. Comparable I suppose to car drivers who get halfway down the road before belting up - you should do it before releasing the handbrake.