• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 87s into St Pancras - wouldn't happen now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Back in 1991, when the WCML was closed, rather than use buses, InterCity put a Class 47 on to the electric trains between Nuneaton and Bedford. The 47 then came off and the electric locos worked forward.

Take a look at the video

[youtube]rT3Lo2n3SD4[/youtube]

Did anyone here do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Never got an 87 in but had a 90 in on a Liverpool to Euston in May 1992 during similar drags.

And no it wouldn't happen now!!

ukrob

Established Member
Note the height of the juice at St Pancras - who will be the first to ask 'why'? this time round ;):)

Helvellyn

Established Member
It wouldn't happen now as there isn't really a London Terminus with the spare capacity that St Pancras had back then - 7 platforms for essentially an hourly service to Sheffield and an hourly service to Nottingham.

great sights and sounds never had one into St Pancras, hoping Royal Sovereign is back out on another tour this year anyone any news?

gutted just been looking on railtour info and its duffs galore with a lot of the main operators.....no electric traction whatsoever:(

mindfeeder

So how often did electric traction go into St Pancras before it was refurbished then? Or was it just used as a diversionary terminal when electric traction couldn't get into Euston/King's Cross?

tbtc

Veteran Member
It wouldn't happen now as there isn't really a London Terminus with the spare capacity that St Pancras had back then - 7 platforms for essentially an hourly service to Sheffield and an hourly service to Nottingham.

Very true.

Now the Midland Mainline has twice the amount of trains and half the amount of platforms :-/

Old Timer

Established Member
Originally the electrics were taken off the train at Nuneaton or Bletchley.

Until recent years it was a requirement that the pans on electric locos were padlocked down before they were allowed to go off electrified lines. In any case the fleet was needed under the wires because there was a shortage of electric locomotives. In the 70s I recall tales of F/liner and similar trains standing for hours and sometimes days waiting forward power.

The first electric to operate out of St Pancras was the 86229 in 1983 after it had been named "Sir John Betjeman".

St Pancras to Bedford was apt, as Betjeman had worked tirelessly in the 1960s to save St Pancras from Closure.

By the time DVTs were introduced, the locos used to stay with the set, so it made sense to leave it on and haul the whole lot across to Bedford, and let them run electric from there. The locos of course had been modified so that they could run dead at the rear of the train by then of course.

Prior to that the loco would have had to have been shunted out at St Pancras and put DIT leading out.

mumrar

Established Member
The thread title amuses me 'Class 87s into St Pancras - wouldn't happen now!'. Really going out on a limb there. It would take a very serious and huge undertaking of engineering work for a Bulgarian passenger train to be diverted in to St Pancras as the best alternative!

I love the video and pics though, all good, but being as we don't have Class 87s in front line passenger use, it was always going to be a safe bet that the thread title was correct.

theblackwatch

Established Member
gutted just been looking on railtour info and its duffs galore with a lot of the main operators.....no electric traction whatsoever:(

There's a tour featuring several Class 87s on it coming up at the beginning of May!

mumrar

Established Member
We do have a main line Class 87 in operation.

That's why I was very careful in saying we don't have any in front line passenger use OT. As lord of the pedants, it wouldn't do for me to be wrong (although it doesn't stop me, on many occassions).

theblackwatch

Established Member
To be fair, its not exactly something you can just have a day out for!

I don't recall anyone saying it was! With the early start and late finish of some UK trips, I think that also applies to some tours over here which can be a bit of an endurance test!

If id have known about the tour earlier possibly would of gone but not quite what i had in mind looks a great holiday though...be happy with some West Coast UK Haulage just to get my fix...im hoping Spitfire do another 87002 tour similar to last year but minus the Duff this time

Status
Not open for further replies.