• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clayton CBD90 - Battery+diesel shunter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

Low speed means maximising your tractive effort for your given power output. It's like being in first gear in a car not 5th!

Speed43125

Can they be towed on the mainline at a higher speed?
08s and 09s could be with the coupling rods removed. I would assume the clayton would also allow for faster transport behind another loco (and without needing to dismantle the drivetrain!)

Irascible

Established Member
08s and 09s could be with the coupling rods removed. I would assume the clayton would also allow for faster transport behind another loco (and without needing to dismantle the drivetrain!)

Depends on the final drive gearing, you don't want to overspeed the traction motors mechanically.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Presumably the low speed means you can downskill the drivers - or replace them with radio control.
Also the crashes will be less damaging
I like your positive spin !.
I had not thought of that. Fingers crossed that is possible without overstressing any part of the transmission.

Defiance149

I've only got 18001 delivered so far - to Whitemoor Yard - so I wonder whether 18002 to 18006 have also been delivered, and if so, where they're lurking?
18003-006 are all at Wolverton, 18002 may also be there as well but not confirmed.

philwall

Just called into Wolverton today and 18005 and 18007 are visible from the Aldi car park whilst two other 18s can be seen further up the yard, unfortunately near impossible to read off.

Attachments

• 20221015_115010.jpg
    20221015_115010.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 200

Bob Price

Has any actual contracts been signed for these yet? There are a lot of 08's around getting very long in the tooth. There must be some rail companies looking at these for them to have been built in the first place.

Roger B

Just called into Wolverton today and 18005 and 18007 are visible from the Aldi car park whilst two other 18s can be seen further up the yard, unfortunately near impossible to read off.
Thank-you so much phliwall. I'm heading down there a week tomorrow, and will try to find them.

The_Train

Established Member
Clayton Equipment have recently tweeted about a 6th Class 18 making its way into the hands of Tata Steel!

Anybody got any ideas which of them have moved to Tata and whether they are all at Port Talbot or at different locations?

The_Train

Established Member
Have the class 18s been a success and are any at work on Network Rail land?
Clayton are certainly claiming a success with the Tata operations.

The only one I know to have operated on the main network was the one that GB had on test at Whitemoor Yard

D7666

My money is some of them appearing on HS2 works trains - after the track has been laid they'll be in demand for works trains fitting out the tunnels. Ir would surprise me not if some of those in store are already contracted out for this.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Clayton Equipment have recently tweeted about a 6th Class 18 making its way into the hands of Tata Steel!

Anybody got any ideas which of them have moved to Tata and whether they are all at Port Talbot or at different locations?
Are any of these class 18s that have gone to Tata Steel numbered as class 18s ?.

How many have been built and where are they kept - I think Wolverton was the place ages ago ?.

D7666

Did that question mean to say "6th 18" to Tata or "6th CDB90" ? I don't think Clayton talk in terms of 18s but of CDB90s.

I thought the five Tata locos to date while generically CDB90s = 18s, actual class 18s they are not .

My notes say the order book was :

15 for Beacon (which are 18s)
7 for Tata (not 18s)
2 for Sellafield (not 18s)

Those totals might be orders + options with the latter to be taken up as and when needed.

Of course, they may be swapping around precisely which loco goes where.

The_Train

Established Member
Did that question mean to say "6th 18" to Tata or "6th CDB90" ? I don't think Clayton talk in terms of 18s but of CDB90s.

I thought the five Tata locos to date while generically CDB90s = 18s, actual class 18s they are not .

My notes say the order book was :

15 for Beacon (which are 18s)
7 for Tata (not 18s)
2 for Sellafield (not 18s)

Those totals might be orders + options with the latter to be taken up as and when needed.

Of course, they may be swapping around precisely which loco goes where.
Actually, having read through their twitter feed, I think you are right.
They do refer to some CBD90's as Class 18's but these are the 15 that were built for Beacon as you say. The Tata ones seem to be being kept separate and they are just referring to these as CBD90's (without a Class, which makes sense as I guess they will spend their entire life within the confines of Tata - providing the UK Government continue to bail them out every couple of years) so apologies for any confusion. Looking at their feed, whilst the 6th CBD90 has just arrived at Tata, another is due to follow very soon for those interested in industrial shunters!

Well, it was still worth re-opening this as I feel I am behind with the actual 15 locos designated as Class 18s. Are all 15 now built and do they all still reside at Wolverton?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Actually, having read through their twitter feed, I think you are right.
They do refer to some CBD90's as Class 18's but these are the 15 that were built for Beacon as you say. The Tata ones seem to be being kept separate and they are just referring to these as CBD90's (without a Class, which makes sense as I guess they will spend their entire life within the confines of Tata - providing the UK Government continue to bail them out every couple of years) so apologies for any confusion. Looking at their feed, whilst the 6th CBD90 has just arrived at Tata, another is due to follow very soon for those interested in industrial shunters!

Well, it was still worth re-opening this as I feel I am behind with the actual 15 locos designated as Class 18s. Are all 15 now built and do they all still reside at Wolverton?
One (BR/Beacon) Class 18 went to Whitemoor many moons ago. No idea if it left there - I guess still there. I know subsequent deliveries went to Wolverton and I have a feeling one was going to another yard but that might have been referring to the Tata non 18s !.

D7666

Indeed.

The subject lapsed because there was no new gen so new new wibble. It might be gappy but the subject does need continuation.

After all, a fleet of 15+7+2 = 24 locos is not insignificant, be they "main line" or "industrial". If th gs on the continent are anything to go by, I'd predict swaps between "18s" and "industrials" as the fleet ages and locos change owners.

For some reason I think only 10 of the 15 Beacon loxos have been completed. I may be wrong. If someone can correct that,well, it just reproves the need for this thread.

I am unsure if the "15s" are exactly the same as the industrials. They almost certainly vary with safety equipment, possibly vary with train braking equipment (even if they have any) and so on. The industrials may be ballasted too. But I'd be sure all that stuff is modular and any one loco set up could be simply modded to another set up.

Defiance149

For some reason I think only 10 of the 15 Beacon loxos have been completed. I may be wrong. If someone can correct that,well, it just reproves the need for this thread.

18001-15 are all built and at Wolverton.