• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
East Pilton

Hmm - I am a bit bamboozled now. I got to Trinity via the loop past Granton gasworks. I was therefore on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven line heading towards Piershill via Trinity Junction and South Junction (which seems to be consistent with the itinerary) but East Pilton is back on the CR North Leith branch. More guidance please.

Calthrop

Established Member
Powderhall (assuming that the junction complex east of Granton Road, includes a link between Caledonian and North British trackage)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Hmm - I am a bit bamboozled now. I got to Trinity via the loop past Granton gasworks. I was therefore on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven line heading towards Piershill via Trinity Junction and South Junction (which seems to be consistent with the itinerary) but East Pilton is back on the CR North Leith branch. More guidance please.

We traversed the CR Leith North (Granton connection) branch line shown as the second line on the journey itinerary, before reaching the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway. Trinity would have taken you onwards to the terminal Granton station, whereas we needed to carry on with the journey using the already known junctions in that area.

DerekC

Established Member
We traversed the CR Leith North (Granton connection) branch line shown as the second line on the journey itinerary, before reaching the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway. Trinity would have taken you onwards to the terminal Granton station, whereas we needed to carry on with the journey using the already known junctions in that area.

I traced out my route via the Granton Branch, past the Granton gasworks at Pilton Junction West, turning east at Breakwater Junction and then onto the quayside lines at Granton Pier. That brings you to Trinity station from the west and so onto the E, L & N. The connection is visible on OS maps and confirmed in the "RAILSCOT" web page on the Granton Branch.

Powderhall (assuming that the junction complex east of Granton Road, includes a link between Caledonian and North British trackage)

I can't find any trace of such a link on any OS map between 1853 and 1968. However there is a vague indication of one in a badly drawn plan of railways in the Edinburgh area, part of C J Wignall's "British Railways Maps and Gazeteer". I think it's unsafe to assume that one existed.