• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Around Uttoxeter -- one (decidedly fallible) source of info, shows two long-closed "lesser" " Uttoxeter ****** " stations on the journey's route; another source, makes no mention of them. With some foreboding that whatever I do, will turn out to be wrong -- I'll give as the next station: Grindley

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Around Uttoxeter -- one (decidedly fallible) source of info, shows two long-closed "lesser" " Uttoxeter ****** " stations on the journey's route; another source, makes no mention of them.

INFORMATION

My researches showed not two, but three long-closed "lesser" stations in the Uttoxeter area:-

Uttoxeter Bridge Street was the original station on the Stafford and Uttoxeter Railway, opened 7th August 1840 and this was closed on 10th October 1881, when the new and currently still open Uttoxeter was opened. However, as the two station sites were very near to each other, that station is not allowed as a posting submission on this quiz under Rule 4.

There were two further stations, Uttoxeter Junction and Uttoxeter Dove Bank, which lay on a somewhat convoluted line connection to the NSR Derby to Crewe line and the NSR Churnet Valley Line. Both were opened on 13th July 1849 and closed on 10th October 1881. As such, neither of these can be used on this journey, as the NSR Derby to Crewe line does not form part of this journey.

Calthrop

Established Member
INFORMATION

My researches showed not two, but three long-closed "lesser" stations in the Uttoxeter area:-

Uttoxeter Bridge Street was the original station on the Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway, opened 7th August 1840 and this was closed on 10th October 1881, when the new and currently still open Uttoxeter was opened. However, as the two station sites were very near to each other, that station is not allowed as a posting submission on this quiz under Rule 4.

There were two further stations, Uttoxeter Junction and Uttoxeter Dove Bank, which lay on a somewhat convoluted line connection to the NSR Derby to Crewe line and the NSR Churnet Valley Line. Both were opened on 13th July 1849 and closed on 10th October 1881. As such, neither of these can be used on this journey, as the NSR Derby to Crewe line does not form part of this journey.

As can probably be figured context-wise from my post: Dewick's atlas shows what I call Uttoxeter's " 'long-closed 'lesser' " stations; Wiki's diagrammatic maps, do not. Dewick actually shows Junction, as well as Bridge Street and Dove Bank; I made no mention in my post, of Junction -- because it does not lie on our journey's route, which the other two do.

My bolding above: do I infer correctly, that the Stafford -- Grindley -- Uttoxeter line was actually opened earlier, than that splitting off at the junction (name Bromshall Junction, if I have things rightly) a couple of miles west of Uttoxeter, heading north-west toward Stoke (and of course still in use today)? I'm just so used to thinking of Bromshall Junction -- Stafford, as being a freakishly strange byway and anomalous far-westerly "tentacle" of the Great Northern; that I had always assumed -- on no basis of actual knowledge -- that the NSR's Derby -- Stoke -- Crewe route came into being first; with Bromshall Jun. -- Stafford being a later, and slightly improbable, addition to the country's rail system.

Next station: Stafford Common

DerekC

Established Member
After a quick reversal at the open station of Stafford:

Haughton

I am afraid I can't add anything to the history and geography of Uttoxeter's stations. Interesting that according to Wikipedia the Stafford and Uttoxeter Railway was purchased by the Great Northern in 1881 as a potential route to Wales, but odd that this was intended to be via the Shropshire Union line and the "Potts". The former had been leased by the LNWR since 1846 (although not finally purchased until1922). The latter was closed for the first time in 1880. Altogether a bit of a long shot by the GNR. I don't suppose they ever got much return on their £100,000 purchase!

Last edited: