• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
The only closed station I know about before Rugby is Brandon & Wolston (between Coventry and Rugby). What's the other one you have ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oldbury (LNW) closed in 1915....it is not to be confused with the GWR station....neither is it to be confused with the existing open station known as Sandwell and Dudley.

No. The GWR one closed in 1915 - the LNWR was Oldbury & Bromford Lane, then Oldbury, then Sandwell & Dudley, as I hope this link makes clear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldbury_railway_station

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The only closed station I know about before Rugby is Brandon & Wolston (between Coventry and Rugby).

Actually, this station when it was first opened was just called Brandon....it changed its name to Brandon and Wolston in 1879.

The other station that I had in mind goes back to the construction stage of the railway in that area which was a temporary station at Hampton that appears to have been opened in 1841 and was not open for all that many years.....( not to be confused with the existing Hampton-in-Arden station which opened in 1884). Perhaps this will not really count because of its temporary nature.

We are now on the final leg of this long journey...the section from south of Rugby, onwards to London

Welton

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Castlethorpe

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you are acceptable, I can set the next leg up in the North-East running in a southerly direction from the open station at Berwick upon Tweed to the open station at Manors....The route is that of the Newcastle and Berwick Railway

I will start off with....

Tweedsmouth

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OK. I've got a "Tweedsdale" map at home, which should take me part of the way

I was surprised to find there were many closed stations on the Berwick upon Tweed nothern part in comparison to the number of "still open" stations on the southern part of the route towards Manors. The route is the line of the former Newcastle and Berwick Railway, if that is of help.

Welshman

Established Member
I think Smealfield came between Beal and Belford.

The next one should be Lucker

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
On rechecking my old map, you are indeed correct about Smealfield, which for some strange and inexplicable reason I had taken to be a signal box..:roll:

Newham.....it was from here that I started to come across both open and closed stations

Welshman

Established Member
Longhoughton

P.S. Following "flymo"'s post in the Trip Reports and Nostalgia section, perhaps we should change our line?

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
P.S. Following "flymo"'s post in the Trip Reports and Nostalgia section, perhaps we should change our line?

Indeed, this is a most unfortunate happening and will cause this current quiz to be terminated with immediate effect (the open station at Alnmouth will now be the end of the quiz, to replace Manors). The matter was not too unfortunate as the majority of the closed stations were on the parts of this leg already completed.

To make up for the disappointment, because it is the festive season, I shall relax the rule slightly and this leg will start at the currently open station at Blaenau Ffestiniog....but end at the closed station of Bala Junction.

I will start us off with...

Manod

flymo

Established Member
Errrrr..sorry, this is rather awkward. :oops:

I had no idea this quiz was going on as I rarely visit this part of the forum.

Certainly wasn't my intention to cause any difficulties.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Errrrr..sorry, this is rather awkward. :oops:

I had no idea this quiz was going on as I rarely visit this part of the forum.

Certainly wasn't my intention to cause any difficulties.

No problem whatsoever......a million to one change of this happening...:D:D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the quiz in hand, don't forget we are at....

Manod

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
It might have indeed been - it could have been one of those now submerged halts you mention, as the lake for the hydro-electric power station must be about there - I'm not too sure myself.

According to my knowledge, the next station should have been Maentwrog Rd, unless there are any more I do not know of.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Then Cwm Prysor?

There are the two halts that are in-between Trawsfynedd and Cwm Prysor:-

Llafar Halt

Bryn-celynog Halt

Then your entry of Cwm Prysor fits in....in route order

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The next station is Arenig

Hint for the rest of the quiz...The following two stations are "Halts" and the final two stations after that are "named settlements".

So there are only four more stops to name on this leg.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In response to a PM that has been received, the two halts still be named are:-

Capel Cefyn Halt

Tyddyn Bridge Halt

This will allow the next station to be named.....Your PM names this as Frongoch.

Last edited: