• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closest level crossings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapAndNerdy

To the west of Barnes (BNS) there are two level crossings less than 60m apart on a single stretch of road: http://goo.gl/wUmGo

Is there a closer pair on a public highway? Or anywhere else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Not sure on the distances by road, but Queen Adelaide Drive in Ely crosses the Norwich, Kings Lynn and March lines in close succession.

Captain Chaos

Not on the same road but there are two level crossings within metres of each other on the Marlow branch between Bourne End and Marlow.

Bedpan

Established Member
There are two about 15 yards apart at Helpston, north of Peterborough, where the Leicester line diverges from the ECML, although not sure if it has two separate sets of barriers.

ollyrogers

There are two about 15 yards apart at Helpston, north of Peterborough, where the Leicester line diverges from the ECML, although not sure if it has two separate sets of barriers.

Google Maps says sorry you're not a winner:

mmm3c.jpg

Bedpan

Established Member
Aha, so only one set of gates, but they are two separate lines though so I should get half a point.

Jordy

Established Member
I'm sure I've read before that Helpston is indeed the widest crossing in the UK

clagmonster

Established Member
Of course, there are the two at Doncaster (Marshgate), over the York and Leeds lines. They can only be a matter of yards apart.

Wyvern

Established Member
I do know of a Y shaped one - would that count?

Ploughman

Established Member
Is Walton St in Hull a contender.
As it actually comprises 2 separate crossings side by side on a dual carriageway.
I also was led to understand that it is the biggest Bomac crossing in the UK with over 360 panels.

Nym

Established Member
Nice dangerous crossing there on Walton St, you know how many cyclists moan about that on Look North? (They should dismount like the sign tells them to!)

Status
Not open for further replies.