• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closure of East Croydon bus station

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
It's a huge shame this had to happen and they could not provide a temporary stop close-by. the nearest 466 stop is a 10-15 min walk. I wrote a complaint into TFL.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ooo

It's a huge shame this had to happen and they could not provide a temorary stop close-by. the neartest 46 stop is a 10-15 min walk. I wrote a complaint into TFL.
Why has it been closed?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
:lol:
It's a huge shame this had to happen and they could not provide a temorary stop close-by. the neartest 46 stop is a 10-15 min walk. I wrote a complaint into TFL.

If you mean the 64 (the 46 would take even Mo Farah a couple of hours:lol:) I understand there is a stop 'round the corner' in Dingwall Road. On the other hand for 119, etc passengers there is a huge gap between stops and you are advised to use a tram in the first instance (bit tough if you're going for a 3 a.m. departure on the 119!)

GodAtum

On Moderation
:lol:

If you mean the 64 (the 46 would take even Mo Farah a couple of hours:lol:) I understand there is a stop 'round the corner' in Dingwall Road. On the other hand for 119, etc passengers there is a huge gap between stops and you are advised to use a tram in the first instance (bit tough if you're going for a 3 a.m. departure on the 119!)

Sorry I meant the 466, but also a few others such as the 199 you mentioned. Not great for people with disabilities.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sorry I meant the 466, but also a few others such as the 199 you mentioned. Not great for people with disabilities.

I agree with you absolutely. I don't understand why TfL no longer feel able to use temporary stops: if it's because of on-bus stop announcements being incorrect, then it's a case of the tail being allowed to wag the dog.

PeterC

Established Member
I agree with you absolutely. I don't understand why TfL no longer feel able to use temporary stops: if it's because of on-bus stop announcements being incorrect, then it's a case of the tail being allowed to wag the dog.
I had wondered about that too. I would guess that it is more to do with the beaurocracy of stopping parking on a sufficient length of road to allow the bus to stop in such a way that the wheelchair ramp can be deployed if necessary.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I had wondered about that too. I would guess that it is more to do with the beaurocracy of stopping parking on a sufficient length of road to allow the bus to stop in such a way that the wheelchair ramp can be deployed if necessary.

You're probably right, but you'd think something better could be done when work is going to take several months.

Antman

Established Member

Just to be clear it's the 119 and 466 and there is nowhere suitable to put a temporary stop.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

On-bus announcements are usually updated every fortnight so shouldn't be a problem. When iBus was first introduced there were some problems with long-term temporary stops but nowadays it only has problems with unplanned/short-term ones.

The announcements will have had to be changed for the closure of the bus station anyway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just to be clear it's the 119 and 466 and there is nowhere suitable to put a temporary stop.

Maybe there isn't in this particular case, but the fact remains that TfL are markedly reluctant to provide 'temporary' stops. For instance a few years ago the outward trajectory of the 3 from Oxford Circus was altered so that it no longer traversed Oxford Street before turning right into Regent Street and picking up at the stop outside what was then Dickins and Jones department store, a stop it shared with the 159, so useful for a lot of people who could catch either bus. After the change the 3 picked up in Regent Street north of Oxford Circus and no longer served the D&J stop. OK, but then the 'new' stop was taken out of action for months for no apparent discernible reason. Logic would suggest that the 3 should then have reused the D&j stop for the duration, but, no, you had to go half way down that part of Regent Street to a request stop, so the 3 in effect no longer served Oxford Circus in one direction. I can quote other cases known to me personally where such inconvenience was caused for weeks, even months.

GodAtum

On Moderation
it's been a mad rush so far. been about 30 minuates late because by the time I walk down, I've missed a 466.

Antman

Established Member
Maybe there isn't in this particular case, but the fact remains that TfL are markedly reluctant to provide 'temporary' stops. For instance a few years ago the outward trajectory of the 3 from Oxford Circus was altered so that it no longer traversed Oxford Street before turning right into Regent Street and picking up at the stop outside what was then Dickins and Jones department store, a stop it shared with the 159, so useful for a lot of people who could catch either bus. After the change the 3 picked up in Regent Street north of Oxford Circus and no longer served the D&J stop. OK, but then the 'new' stop was taken out of action for months for no apparent discernible reason. Logic would suggest that the 3 should then have reused the D&j stop for the duration, but, no, you had to go half way down that part of Regent Street to a request stop, so the 3 in effect no longer served Oxford Circus in one direction. I can quote other cases known to me personally where such inconvenience was caused for weeks, even months.

I don't doubt that at all and much of this is down to DDA legislation, years ago a temporary stop was placed at the nearest suitable location without any great problem but nowadays various assessments have to done regarding wheelchair access etc and its generally easier just to not provide a temporary stop.

On the subject of East Croydon the only option would be for the 119 and 466 to do a double run to the roundabout in Dingwall Road so they can serve the stop close to the station but obviously that would delay through passengers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't doubt that at all and much of this is down to DDA legislation, years ago a temporary stop was placed at the nearest suitable location without any great problem but nowadays various assessments have to done regarding wheelchair access etc and its generally easier just to not provide a temporary stop.

On the subject of East Croydon the only option would be for the 119 and 466 to do a double run to the roundabout in Dingwall Road so they can serve the stop close to the station but obviously that would delay through passengers.

Thank you for supplying the info concerning the East Croydon situation, and I accept what you say about suitable sites for temporary stops, but in the case I cited (and many others too) all that had to happen was another existing stop be adapted to accept another route or two. It's all the next bus info gubbins etc that wouldn't work that seems to preclude it, to the disadvantage I would suggest of the majority of potential passengers.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thank you for supplying the info concerning the East Croydon situation, and I accept what you say about suitable sites for temporary stops, but in the case I cited (and many others too) all that had to happen was another existing stop be adapted to accept another route or two. It's all the next bus info gubbins etc that wouldn't work that seems to preclude it, to the disadvantage I would suggest of the majority of potential passengers.

As I've already said, the iBus system should not stop temporary stops being used - especially if they're existing stops which are already in the system.

Antman

Established Member

I'm not normally one to jump to the defence of TfL but in this case there really is no other option other than the 119 and 466 doing a time consuming deviation via Dingwall Road.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As I've already said, the iBus system should not stop temporary stops being used - especially if they're existing stops which are already in the system.

In that case, I shall look forward to this happening in suitable cases, and if anyone on here can post when it occurs I'd be grateful.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In that case, I shall look forward to this happening in suitable cases, and if anyone on here can post when it occurs I'd be grateful.

There may be other reasons for TfL not putting in temporary stops - I'm merely pointing out that there is no technical reason in iBus to stop it happening.

GodAtum

On Moderation
is stop E6 closed. According to this it is open, but on TFL's planner, buses dont seem to stop there.

Farningham

Stop E6 remains open. Unfortunately the feed used by the various 'bus times' apps for smartphones believes otherwise.

GodAtum

On Moderation
According to twitter:

Apologies, this is a technical issue. I've tried to remove E6 whilst highlighting the closed stops but it returns to default

Last edited:

BingBong50

How are they actually going to improve East Croydon bus station? There is very little space to expand it and looking at it yesterday nothing much seems to be going on. Are they somehow going to try and incorporate buses in both directions stopping in the same area rather than having the Central Croydon bound buses stopping on the bridge?

GodAtum

On Moderation
How are they actually going to improve East Croydon bus station? There is very little space to expand it and looking at it yesterday nothing much seems to be going on. Are they somehow going to try and incorporate buses in both directions stopping in the same area rather than having the Central Croydon bound buses stopping on the bridge?

I hope they put some proper shelters and heating.

GodAtum

On Moderation
It opened on Friday. Unfortunately it has not improved much. No indoor waiting faculties, not much more shelter from the elements, and no info screens at each island (only 1 at the entrance). It is also less safe as there are now no pedestrian barriers at each end of the islands. Very poor show by TFL.

Abpj17

There is a temporary stop on cannon street east bound. Possibly reluctantly - if not, two stops in a row would have been closed with no stop between New Change and just north of London Bridge. (Mansion House stop has been closed for what seems like years)

BingBong50

It opened on Friday. Unfortunately it has not improved much. No indoor waiting faculties, not much more shelter from the elements, and no info screens at each island (only 1 at the entrance). It is also less safe as there are now no pedestrian barriers at each end of the islands. Very poor show by TFL.

I had a very brief look yesterday and I can't understand how it has taken so long to do so little. I thought the whole idea was to somehow combine bus stops in both directions within the same area but that seems not too have happened. They might as well have left it as it was and saved a lot of money and disruption to passengers.

Antman

Established Member
I had a very brief look yesterday and I can't understand how it has taken so long to do so little. I thought the whole idea was to somehow combine bus stops in both directions within the same area but that seems not too have happened. They might as well have left it as it was and saved a lot of money and disruption to passengers.

All that has been done is resurfacing work, that needed doing, and a few cosmetic improvements, in fairness space is very limited so not much more could have been done, but how it's taken nearly six months and reportedly cost in excess of £5m I really don't know.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
All that has been done is resurfacing work, that needed doing, and a few cosmetic improvements, in fairness space is very limited so not much more could have been done, but how it's taken nearly six months and reportedly cost in excess of £5m I really don't know.

incompetence pays, regrettably.

Status
Not open for further replies.