• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coach firms accuse Lothian Buses of ‘unfair’ rival operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I could try and act surprised, but i saw this coming sooner or later!.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....ian-buses-of-unfair-rival-operation-1-4765011
TOUR coach firms based in the Capital have hit out at Lothian Buses’ decision to launch a rival operation running day trips to other parts of Scotland.

The council-owned bus company set up Lothian Motorcoaches last month, with five new executive coaches as well as new drivers and tour guides.

But well-established operators like Timberbush and Rabbie’s claim the new business represents unfair competition.

They say it is undercutting them on prices, may deter future investment and could cost jobs. Steve Spalding, CEO at Timberbush Tours, said: “Ordinarily we would be quite happy to see competition coming into the marketplace.

“Tourism is doing fairly well in Edinburgh just now. And on the surface you might think Lothian Buses has seen what they think is an easy cash cow to tap into.

“But with Lothian Buses being owned by local authorities, it makes it a whole different ball game.”

He suggested the new buses and hiring new staff could cost around £2 million.

“You need collateral behind that,” he said. “It’s not your average start-up scenario.”

Mr Spalding said a typical price for a day trip from Edinburgh to Roslin and the Borders might be around £40, but Lothian Motorcoaches were charging £28. “The council is underwriting the operation, but that comes back to undermining the employment security of our staff,” he said.

Mr Spalding said tour companies had grown in recent years, but there were uncertainties around.

“In the last year we have invested £1.5m in vehicles and training,” he said. “Would we invest another £1m if on top of Brexit and the value of the pound there is a new player in the market underwritten by council funds? Does that seem like a level playing field?”

Another operator, who did not want to be named, accused Lothian Buses of being “anti-entrepreneurial”.

He said: “I think it’s completely wrong that a state enterprise is competing in a healthy private sector market. “

They are using profits from their operations to set this up, but ultimately it is being underwritten by taxpayers, which is you and me, so we are underwriting a competitor.”

And he pointed out that under Lothian Buses’ articles of association, their remit could also include bars, restaurants and cafes. “So what is next?” he asked.

Edinburgh’s coach tour operators have protested to the Scottish Government in a letter sent to ministers by the Scottish Destination Management Association.

Lothian Buses managing director Richard Hall said: “We’re a commercially-run organisation that’s able to invest in new products and services. Scotland’s thriving tourist market offers plenty of opportunities and well-run companies have nothing to fear from fair competition. In fact, we’d say a healthy marketplace is essential for consumer choice, driving innovation and standards.”

On the possibility of opening bars or restaurants, he added: “We’re a transport operator and we will continue to focus on complementary services.”

It does beg the question of what is next though.... LothianRail? LothianAir? Interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
That unnamed operator is a muppet and silly

They are using profits from their operations to set this up, but ultimately it is being underwritten by taxpayers,
Thats lies because of the council will not bail them out, if TFE loses money it will need to cuts cost. The whole point of this was to generate even more money.

Cesarcollie

That unnamed operator is a muppet and silly

Thats lies because of the council will not bail them out, if TFE loses money it will need to cuts cost. The whole point of this was to generate even more money.

I think the point is that given the scale of LB, the coach unit could undercut local operators and lose money for some time before it even became noticeable in the wider business.

overthewater

Established Member
I think the point is that given the scale of LB, the coach unit could undercut local operators and lose money for some time before it even became noticeable in the wider business.

I find it rather odd there is at least 10 different companies are trying to get business yet somehow are all prices the pretty much the same. Maybe said local operators are greedy sods...

Established Member
I find it rather odd there is at least 10 different companies are trying to get business yet somehow are all prices the pretty much the same. Maybe said local operators are greedy sods...

Maybe they are. But if the have the same product anyone not charging the lowest price would have no custom. And if the market price is too low some of them will go under - and it certainly won't be Lothian, even if they start the price war which leads there.

Swanny200

Not been up there for a few years, but when I lived there and part owned a bar in the city centre, some of these tour companies were greedy, one of them to the point of trying to get companies like mine (my bar was doing OK financial wise but not mega bucks) to pay them to get more punters through my door, I told them no, to be honest at the time I didn't need to fill the bar more than it was, especially on a Friday and Saturday night.

A few weeks after saying no to them, one group came in and someone approached me saying before being pulled back by someone saying that my bar was on a banned list, this tour company had basically blacklisted my bar.

I could have and maybe should have taken them to the cleaners, but this tour company especially would try anything to get one step ahead of it's competition.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Originally i was in favour of the coach companies side here, but after hearing others "stories" regarding them i'm perhaps a bit more 50/50 now, hence why i've remained silent! Either way it's quite interesting. I do to some extent understand why the coach operators are a tad irritated as it is unfair competition, but one could perhaps argue they brought it on themselves.

Definitely something to keep our eyes on as/if it progresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.