• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cobbs historical rail atlas

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Revaulx

Anyone know what the differences are between the second and third editions, other than the covers changing from green to red?

Justin Smith

Anyone know what the differences are between the second and third editions, other than the covers changing from green to red?
I think the 3rd edition "had stronger bindings", which I can confirm from my own experience would be worth having... I had the bindings on my own 1st edition copy strengthened, for the larger (and more used) volume 1 at any rate. Basically they were re-sewn with strong thread by the bookbinder I use for my Railway Magazines. The down side was the edges of the pages are no longer as neat as I did not want the pages trimmed after rebinding.
In addition I believe the list of amendments is longer ? I was able to help Col Cobb with some of them for initial list of amendments for which he was charmingly grateful, receiving individual hand written answers to my short list of potential errors.

Revaulx

I think the 3rd edition "had stronger bindings", which I can confirm from my own experience would be worth having... I had the bindings on my own 1st edition copy strengthened, for the larger (and more used) volume 1 at any rate. Basically they were re-sewn with strong thread by the bookbinder I use for my Railway Magazines. The down side was the edges of the pages are no longer as neat as I did not want the pages trimmed after rebinding.
In addition I believe the list of amendments is longer ? I was able to help Col Cobb with some of them for initial list of amendments for which he was charmingly grateful, receiving individual hand written answers to my short list of potential errors.
Thanks! The spine of the fatter volume of my 2nd edition suffered a mishap at my hand but I’ve made what has so far proved to be an effective repair with invisible Sellotape.

Justin Smith

Thanks! The spine of the fatter volume of my 2nd edition suffered a mishap at my hand but I’ve made what has so far proved to be an effective repair with invisible Sellotape.
My pages, the most used ones (and my Cobbs does get used, a lot), started pulling out. My bookbinder reinforced the gutters of all the pages that are stitched with that matt page repair tape, then restitched them all with extra strong thread.

* you can't see it and you can still write on it, in pencil obviously !

Added 1 Apr 24

Blimey, the aforementioned Cobbs went for £580.....
Still worth it in my opinion.

Last edited: