• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas 47 Wigan-Southport

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum112233

Walking home from Wigan Wallgate last night, I was walking down Frog Lane and noticed a Colas class 47 idling away in the carriage siding. So when I got home, I checked realtimetrains and found that pretty much all night, this loco was running to and from Southport.

Anyone know why?
It was just the loco too, no wagons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

Can't say for certain but that route is undergoing extensive renewal starting next week so it's probably moving sleepers, ballast and other machinery to the relevant areas. I'll be going to Southport friday morning so i'll report back.

Boothby97

Established Member
See, http://www.raildata.nl/english/rila.asp
With the patented RILA-system it is possible to measure, compute and present railgeometry-information. The RILA-system is a compact transportable measuring-device which can easily be coupled and uncoupled to standard passenger trains which are running in the regular timetable. So no separate (measuring) trains are necessary: (dis)mounting can be done by 2 persons in less than 2 minutes (video).

With this functionality it is possible to easily measure a large network area as often as necessary without loss of track availability for the passenger and cargo train operators.

For those subscribed to WNXX, there is a some photos of it on there. It is basically doing tests with some camera equipment on the line over the next few days.

Thanks, Sam

Boothby97

Established Member
Now that the camera recording tests are complete, 47749 has run light engine back to Washwood Heath.

Thanks, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.