• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colchester overhead line damage 13/2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjohn

Any insider information on this? ITV Anglia news showed a picture of wires hanging down over a mark 3 set but that may have been a library image.

According to RTT the 1400 Norwich to Liverpool Street has made it through, albeit ten minutes late at Manningtree, but nothing else has. Is it possible two services either side of the blockage have been ‘joined’ by the system and it didn’t actually run?

I’m due to travel from Saxmundham to Harwich for the boat tonight so I’m watching journey check intently. Something tells me I’ll end up driving for this one though. I don’t mind an extended train journey if I can get through somehow but I don’t fancy ending up on a bus around Ippo at that time of the evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Any insider information on this? ITV Anglia news showed a picture of wires hanging down over a mark 3 set but that may have been a library image.

According to RTT the 1400 Norwich to Liverpool Street has made it through, albeit ten minutes late at Manningtree, but nothing else has. Is it possible two services either side of the blockage have been ‘joined’ by the system and it didn’t actually run?

I’m due to travel from Saxmundham to Harwich for the boat tonight so I’m watching journey check intently. Something tells me I’ll end up driving for this one though. I don’t mind an extended train journey if I can get through somehow but I don’t fancy ending up on a bus around Ippo at that time of the evening.
The problem appears to be approaching Colchester so you should be okay. The Cambridge-Harwich doesn't need to operate on electric anyway even if the juice is still off.

superjohn

I was planning to go a little earlier than that, via Manningtree. The Cambridge to Harwich gets there quite late and has been very prone to cancellation recently. It would be a gamble too far, even on a normal day!

Looking at the data, I suspect the 1400 didn’t really get through. The timings are showing as “TD” either side of the blockage and “TRUST” for Ipswich to Colchester. I think two separate services ran in the path of one train.

dk1

Veteran Member
I was planning to go a little earlier than that, via Manningtree. The Cambridge to Harwich gets there quite late and has been very prone to cancellation recently. It would be a gamble too far, even on a normal day!
Harwich branch looks like reduced to an hourly peak service this evening. Cant get the additional emu to Manningtree. The evening through service usually runs as it's the morning one that requires an extra unit.

GB

Established Member
The line is planned to be handed back at 1800. Last I heard that is still on schedule.

superjohn

Am on board with the 1758 from Saxmundham, with crossed fingers and a huge amount of contingency time!

Established Member
Good job you're going tonight. Don't know how the ships performed in last week's storm, but I've been on the Hollandica in a force 7 which was fun.

If everything fails Ipswich and Colchester station staff are well practiced in taxis to Harwich, but more difficult from Manningtree simply as there are fewer cabs there.

Established Member
Good job you're going tonight. Don't know how the ships performed in last week's storm, but I've been on the Hollandica in a force 7 which was fun.
Shipais (Bit like RTT for Ships) show the Harwich - Holland ferry ran throughout the weekend. The Hollandica took an interesting route on the Sunday daytime sailing (highlited).
upload_2020-2-13_20-46-31.png

superjohn

All went well in the end. I got to Harwich with ages to spare so I decided to walk to Morrisons for supplies, rather than be rinsed on the ship. I foolishly trusted the Google Maps suggested walking route and wandered into a secure freight screening area. Security promptly arrived and directed me back to the terminal.

I am now making a leisurely journey across the Netherlands towards Bonn.

Status
Not open for further replies.