• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting tickets with no TVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynemorrell

OK so I have booked my New Brighton to Brighton single via Scotrail (the ticket not the journey!).

No TVM at New Brighton So how do I collect it?

Journey is not until Friday so I could nip over to Liverpool tomorrow but wondered if there is a nearer TVM?

Or can I collect at the Booking Office at NBN?

Scotrail didn't stipulate a specific station but perhaps unhelpfully said collection needed to be from a "kiosk" ?! Can I get a paper at the same time? ;).

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think Merseyrail support Ticket On Departure (TOD), so you'll need to go to your nearest non-Merseyrail station, which is likely to be Liverpool Lime Street.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
yorkie is, of course, correct that there are no TOD-compatible TVMs on the Wirral, only Chester or Liverpool Lime St. I will usually book my ticket from either Liverpool or Chester, and then buy an Anytime Single to that station from whatever Merseyrail station I start at, and then collect my ticket that way. Unless you are already going to be passing a train station with a TOD TVM it is always better to do it this way - as Merseyrail will not see "I cannot collect my ticket here" as a valid reason not to give you a penalty fare.

It is worth noting as well that if this fare is an advance fare then it was very likely able to be booked at any Merseyrail station to save you the inconvenience of having to buy two tickets (although the inconvenience of not having TOD TVMs on Merseyrail irritatingly remains...)

waynemorrell

Thanks Yorkie and AndrewNTH.

It is an advance fare and was circa £30 cheaper then others. Even splitting didn't beat it this time.

Not a problem as I have some free time tomorrow and a CDR New Brighton to Liverpool Stations is only £2.70 with my Disabled persons railcard discount, so will pop over to Lime Street and collect said tickets.

waynemorrell

Well I managed to collect my tickets from the booking office at Liverpool Lime Street today as planned.

According to the reservation coupon Its a London Midland service out of Liverpool, Which I guess will actually be a LNW 350.

On the second leg from Crewe 1356 (Virgin) I have been allocated a seat in coach K, but it doesn't mention what stock. I assume a Pendolino ?

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well I managed to collect my tickets from the booking office at Liverpool Lime Street today as planned.

According to the reservation coupon Its a London Midland service out of Liverpool....
Now West Midlands Trains.
On the second leg from Crewe 1356 (Virgin) I have been allocated a seat in coach K, but it doesn't mention what stock. I assume a Pendolino ?
Coach K is standard class on a service formed of 2xVoyagers, or 1st class on a Pendolino.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

According to the reservation coupon Its a London Midland service out of Liverpool, Which I guess will actually be a LNW 350.

K is the First Class Driving Car with Kitchen on the 390s. K is the buffet car on 10-car Voyagers. So will be a Pendolino but could be either 9 or 11-car.

waynemorrell

Coach K is standard class on a service formed of 2xVoyagers, or 1st class on a Pendolino.

K is the First Class Driving Car with Kitchen on the 390s. K is the buffet car on 10-car Voyagers. So will be a Pendolino but could be either 9 or 11-car.

Thanks but a bit confused here. It a standard class ticket so that would point to a Voyager 221/222?

causton

Established Member
Thanks but a bit confused here. It a standard class ticket so that would point to a Voyager 221/222?

The train comes from Chester. So if it was a Pendolino I don't think it would be getting far with the lack of electrification :lol: so yes it will be - barring anything going catastrophically wrong and a set swap at Crewe which I have only heard of once - a Voyager.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The xx56s are the ex-Chester/Holyhead, so will be a Voyager.

Yep never seen them drag an electric set to Chester!

Was one weekly return trip on a Saturday until about 2012. What would normally have been the 0910 ex-Euston became the 0850, Pendolino to Crewe, where a 57 was stuck on the front for the trip to Holyhead and back.

Was done specifically to retain crew familiarity with 57 coupling and dragging. Until it was decided it wasn't sufficiently regularly used to diagram it every single week.

waynemorrell

Thanks to all, it was of course a Voyager from Crewe. Coach K was the carriage with the shop in it.

I only noticed this time that the carriage letters are not fixed, sign said see electronic display or words to that effect.

Good journey overall except the ticket gates on the underground rejected my ticket, I didn't even try it at Victoria, just showed it to the GTR gateline staff, who waived me through ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I only noticed this time that the carriage letters are not fixed, sign said see electronic display or words to that effect.
It would be rather problematical if they were fixed, given services can be formed by either 5 or 10 car formations!

Status
Not open for further replies.