• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collision and derailment near Salisbury (Fisherton Tunnel) 31/10/21

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichSwitch

My thoughts with all involved. I don’t know which depots the crews will be from on those diagrams.

SWR will be 158/9.
GWR very likely 165/6.

Will await the police/RAIB statement on what’s happened.

sportzbar

RAIB report will be interesting on this one when a following train has received a proceed aspect allowing an initial accident to be worsened. Delighted to here the injuries are minor as this is most important fact currently.

Pure speculation but is it possible that the 1st train (which is on its side I believe) has completely left both running rails and therefore the signalling thinks it has left the block and allowed the next train to proceed? Just a point from a layman's perspective. Glad everyone is able to walk away.
RAIB report will be interesting on this one when a following train has received a proceed aspect allowing an initial accident to be worsened. Delighted to here the injuries are minor as this is most important fact currently.

king_walnut

Isn't this precisely the reason why emergency protection is laid? Obviously if the driver and guard were trapped this wasn't possible.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
My thoughts with all involved. I don’t know which depots the crews will be from on those diagrams.

SWR will be 158/9.
GWR very likely 165/6.

Will await the police/RAIB statement on what’s happened.

GWR was 2 x 158s swapped to a 166 at Westbury.

Gloster

Established Member
Tunnel Junction was my first box over forty years ago, so much will have changed. However, although trains off the Romsey line would have gone round the curve at a reduced speed (the Sectional Appendix says 20 mph), those coming from the Andover direction used to come past at a fair old lick.

I won’t speculate on what went wrong, as signalling should Fail-Safe, but it will be interesting to see how two trains got on the same line. And it was in a tunnel...

moley

2nd train was less than a couple of mins behind at Salisbury Tunnel Junction so unlikely time for emergency protection to be laid.

bramling

Veteran Member

It would be quite a stretch for the second train to get a false proceed aspect. No aspect is more plausible, and what we see on the TD maps is not inconsistent with this. To be treated with caution of course.

A historic collision on the Southern Region between Hassocks and Preston Park springs to mind.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
2nd train was less than a couple of mins behind at Salisbury Tunnel Junction so unlikely time for emergency protection to be laid.
It would be quite a stretch for the second train to get a false proceed aspect. No aspect is more plausible, and what we see on the TD maps is not inconsistent with this.

This is getting into the realms of speculation. Anybody who knows for sure what happened with the signalling system will be very busy trying to sort out the incident.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It would be quite a stretch for the second train to get a false proceed aspect. No aspect is more plausible, and what we see on the TD maps is not inconsistent with this.
If power to this area is fed through the tunnel and the cable has been severed that would lead to dark signals so plausible but not sure what drivers responsibilities are in this situation.

On Moderation
No the swap happened prior to the collision.
Sorry, you're not making much sense. 1F30 hadn't got to Westbury as it was running from Portsmouth to Bristol. Or are you saying it was swapped on the outward to Portsmouth on 1F19?

Tio Terry

Pleased that from the reports I've read nobody is seriously injured. Sounds like the trapped Driver has been freed from his cab and is not seriously injured. My thoughts with all those involved.

I won't speculate on what has caused what, I'll wait for the RAIB report.

On Moderation
If power to this area is fed through the tunnel and the cable has been severed that would lead to dark signals so plausible but not sure what drivers responsibilities are in this situation.
Blank signals are to be treated as a red.

westcoaster

Established Member
thoughts go out to the train crews, passengers and responders.

not familiar with the area at all, hopefully not bad railhead conditions after todays weather with heavy leaf fall.

bluenoxid

Established Member
If these photos are from the scene and my eyesight isn’t deceiving me, 52803 is 159102

Nova1

These photos have clearly been photographed off a screen. Whoever is leaking these images and other information from internal sources should be ashamed.

jamieP

Can we have some sence instead of people posting the same pictures straight after someone else has.

king_walnut

If a signal is dead then it's emergency stop and contact signaller immediately.

6Gman

Established Member
We shall learn in due course what happened but knowing where signals are is a key part of route knowledge. I say this as a general point and not as an observation on this specific incident.

brad465

Established Member

alxndr

Established Member
If the signals were not lit then the driver should have treated them as being their most restrictive aspect.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Such a relief to hear that everyone on-board both trains were able to walk away from this incident relatively unscathed and that the trapped driver was able to be freed (which are by far the most important things to take away from this; my stomach involuntarily lurched when I saw the thread on the main page). As always, full marks to the emergency services for their swift response/professionalism and to the crew of both trains for their professionalism. A trying situation for all involved to say the least.