• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collision b/t Freight and Passenger train near Hannover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

A translated report I read said that the 'freight' train was carrying 'gravel' (my quotes) and that the passenger train was travelling slowly due to works on the line.

Putting two and two together it sounds like it was track renewal work, and that the train that was derailed into the path of the RE train was possibly carrying ballast for that.

Quite dramatic aerial picture of the double-deck regional stock slid down the embankment, though thankfully no serious casualties.

A60K

Yes, it's a bit worse than the earlier report I saw unfortunately, with the driver seriously injured and seven passengers needing hospital treatment. On www.haz.de they have a gallery of pictures and the loco cab looks quite badly damaged.

The carriages seem to be pretty much intact, so I imagine the passenger injuries were mainly from being thrown around in the carriage that went down the embankment.

The DB regional stock has got some surprisingly hard edges in it - just standing up straight on the top deck window seats you can give your head a nasty whack on the metal edge of the luggage rack because it's so low. I'm 5'11' and I think I've learnt my lesson now, but even someone 6 inches shorter would probably hit their head as well.

http://www.haz.de/Mediathek/Fotostrecken/16-Verletzte-bei-Zugunglueck-in-Peine/(at)/90/(mode)/full/(offset)/2

Established Member
The stuff in the wagons looks a bit too fine for ballast to me, a few yards further on and it could have been a lot worse as there is a road bridge there which would have caused a lot more damage than landing in somebody's back garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.