• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colne valley railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

I was sad to hear on the news that they have not been able to get a new lease and will have to close at the end of the year.

Halstead Gazette said:
A popular heritage railway is being forced out of the village that has been its home for 40 years.

The Colne Valley Railway Preservation Society (CVRPS) has announced 2015 will be its last year on the current site as the landowner has decided the railway no longer fits into his plans for the land.

The railway, which employed one staff member full time and another part time, had been operating with a five-year lease.

The society had hoped to buy the site, in Castle Hedingham, before it ran out on December 31 and was fundraising so it could afford to buy the land.

Despite this, the owner - an Australian businessman - has decided not to sell the land to the society.

Paul Lemon, chairman of the CVRPS, said: “We are extremely disappointed at this turn of events.

“I don’t understand why he has decided to do this."

Source

Where could they go? I have read recently that the track bed on the Brightlingsea and the Maldon Branch is largely intact.

What is needed is a large heritage lottery fund grant. If they got new track perhaps they could increase speed to 40mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fsmr

Also detail article in rail

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2015/colne-valley-enters-last-year-of-operating/

What puzzles me is what on earth would be more valuable than a working heritage railway which planned to purchase the line. Without the society, what has the landowner got. Unless he is planning a linear housing estate!!

It is also not clear in the articles what belongs to the society and what is the landowners and the costs involved to put the site back.

I,e permanent structures such as station buildings and signal boxes. Are they the landowners? The cost of demolishing and removing or rebuilding would be substantial and what about the track. All seems to be very strange IMHO and sad given the thousands of hours put in by volunteers over the years and not forgetting the local tourism

AM9

Veteran Member
Also detail article in rail

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2015/colne-valley-enters-last-year-of-operating/

What puzzles me is what on earth would be more valuable than a working heritage railway which planned to purchase the line. Without the society, what has the landowner got. Unless he is planning a linear housing estate!!

It is also not clear in the articles what belongs to the society and what is the landowners and the costs involved to put the site back.

I,e permanent structures such as station buildings and signal boxes. Are they the landowners? The cost of demolishing and removing or rebuilding would be substantial and what about the track. All seems to be very strange IMHO and sad given the thousands of hours put in by volunteers over the years and not forgetting the local tourism

Also, are any of the buildings listed?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Very sad about this indeed. This little line is woven into the fabric of my childhood. :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Where could they go? I have read recently that the track bed on the Brightlingsea and the Maldon Branch is largely intact.

Brightlingsea trackbed is almost completely intact save a large bridge over Arlesford Creek...

alexl92

Established Member
There's a black 5 based there IIRC - the owning group have had no official word from the landowner about their future or that of the line, so they've no idea where they're at on this one. OBviously they've figured out that they'll have to leave but they only know about it through the railway telling them - the owner hasn't even had the courtesy to serve them notice.

fsmr

Very sad about this indeed. This little line is woven into the fabric of my childhood. :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Brightlingsea trackbed is almost completely intact save a large bridge over Arlesford Creek...

Looking at the satellite view. I would say to bridge that crossing over the substantial creek with a swing span to allow the pleasure marine traffic through would be in excess of 5 million alone IMH. However that would give a few miles of run with potential mainline connection.
The problem is its in the middle of nowhere tourist wise Brighlingsea and jaywick are not the most affluent areas and off the tourism radar

The Sudbury branch would be ideal if they could persuade NWR to let them lease it during the weekends for heritage operations a bit like the Mid Norfolk But I think they already have plans to electrify the line Shame but I think unless they can join up with another local line such as Epping and Ongar, there isn't much future now

Standard 4MT

There is a as yet unconfirmed report that the owner of land has got outline planning approval, but no one so far seems to know what for, surely not enough room for housing except at station and sheds? (Which haven't had their lease terminated, but can't operate surely with no track?)

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
But we don't know how much land the owner actually owns though.

Assuming he owns close to the river bank there seems plenty of room for housing even if the station area remained.

Bricktop

The track bed between Rayne and Felsted south of Dunmow would be a good idea, might encourage the line to Stansted to be re-thought through!

fsmr

Good news for the volunteers supporters and local tourism indeed Let us hope the NL are able to help them achieve stability so they can plan for another 30 years or more

Status
Not open for further replies.