• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cologne to Dusseldorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrh136

Hello,
I'm travelling from Cologne to Dusseldorf Airport on Sunday 26th November and have noticed other threads talking about the potential for the German train drivers' Union (GDL) to strike whilst they are in negotiations (for which the first round apparently did not go well but they will reconvene next week). From what I understand they can call a strike with pretty much immediate effect unlike in the UK.
I believe that the regional train between these two places is operated by Mobico / National Express - would this be affected too?
Or would I be better off booking another method of transport in case of problems?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
During the last GDL strike, National Express did run in the region. That does not quarantee it though. From tomorrow evening there will be a 24 hour strike. Monitor what happens on thursday that gives you an idea on how big the impact is.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
How much does run during strikes? Suspect it will be worth having a plan B...

Noting I am travelling through Germany on 18/19 November and also 8th (although on Thalys/Eurostar) and 11th December.

duesselmartin

Established Member
That is difficult to predict. I suspect long distance services are hardest hit, the east more than the west.
The GDL has less signal men as members than others. That gives hope.
For longer distances I personally would book Flixbus now before they sell out.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That is difficult to predict. I suspect long distance services are hardest hit, the east more than the west.
The GDL has less signal men as members than others. That gives hope.
For longer distances I personally would book Flixbus now before they sell out.
The Belgian strikes have already cost me a good £150 on my current trip so I'm a bit apprehensive about spending more just in case. I'm hoping this strike isn't followed so quickly by another this weekend. I have spare leave so maybe I will just stay in Germany longer on my way home from Czech Republic, more beer and schnitzel. :D

It does seem only to be a driver's strike too?
Do they ever update the dB planner to reflect what is running or is it just turn up and chance your arm?

duesselmartin

Established Member
You can spend 150 on Beer and Schnitzel too. I will update you tomorrow evening in how it effected the Düsseldorf area as this is my commuter line.

nwales58

OP's last fallback is 3+ hours by bus and tram, plus allowance for driver shortages meaning half a bus service falls out. Same fare as by train of course, thanks to zonal systems.

Belgium is on strike 05/12 2200 until 07/12 200 according to bahn.de, in case it helps anyone else planning on travelling through this adventure park soon.

Last edited:

ctrh136

Thanks. If we knew of this possibility we would probably have flown back from Cologne instead.
It looks like the National Express services are listed as running but may be disrupted.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thanks. If we knew of this possibility we would probably have flown back from Cologne instead.
It looks like the National Express services are listed as running but may be disrupted.
Indeed having been caught out by the Belgian strikes and now worried about being caught by the German ones I am definitely thinking this is why people fly!!

I am thinking a strike master thread for European travel might be worthwhile? To assist those planning or undertaking trips.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No local knowledge, but remember the S11 local line goes directly from K-Hbf to the DUS terminals, while the faster RE services use the main line Flughaven station with a frequent Sky Train monorail connection to the terminals at DUS.

duesselmartin

Established Member
S11 is Run by DB and is likely to be affected. Better try RRX RE1 or RE5 which are National Express.

Looking at the departure board now an hour before the strike, DB services are sytematically cancelled while private operators are shown as running.
I will do the reality test tomorrow.

Current situation at Düsseldorf. About half of the regionals are running.
Major cancelations at S-Bahn level and Transdev trains.
National Express VIAS and Eurobahn runs with the usual daily hiccups.

ICE and IC few and far between
So it is possible to go to Cologne If you leave spare time .

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Köln to DUS used to be a bit of a racetrack, but I'd imagine it's harder now there's a larger plethora of services using the line, even if it is effectively quadruple track throughout.

duesselmartin

Established Member
ICE still run it at 200 kph / 125 mph

Regional services ran normally today. Some S6 cancelled, many S11 cancelled, so if your visit is hit by a strike it is best to take an RE to Düsseldorf Airport and then the Skytrain. Usually there are three services per hour from Cologne.

nwales58

Current situation at Düsseldorf. About half of the regionals are running.
Major cancelations at S-Bahn level and Transdev trains.
National Express VIAS and Eurobahn runs with the usual daily hiccups.
Article in the Frankfurter Allgemeine today confirms that the GDL dispute is with DB, Transdev (presumably all their rail subsidiaries) and City-Bahn Chemnitz
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtsch...t-bei-der-bahn-urabstimmung-ein-19322992.html
... GDL is calling a vote for longer and more frequent strikes.
Oh dear. Fortunately not affecting the National Express RRX services.

Question for any German: what are the 8 Personaldienstleistern? Are those agencies providing staff to train operators or something else?

U-Bahnfreund

GDL dispute is with DB, Transdev (presumably all their rail subsidiaries) and City-Bahn Chemnitz
All Transdev subsidiaries except Bayerische Regiobahn

Question for any German: what are the 8 Personaldienstleistern? Are those agencies providing staff to train operators or something else?
Yes exactly, mainly for train drivers. To be precise it's assoft GmbH, Unternehmensbereich railmen, delphi personal GmbH, dispo-Tf Rail GmbH, First Passenger Rail Service Germany GmbH (PRS), MEV Eisenbahn-Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH, OLB Oderland Bahn GmbH, Rheinische Bahnpersonal- und Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH and RT&S Lokführer-Akademie GmbH (from this GDL press release).

nwales58

Thanks, drivers employed by agencies is an alien concept on this island, we only do it to cleaners and the like.

Any idea which rail operators are affected? Or does every operator use these employment agencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.