• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DeRobeck

Heard on a stationery HST several years ago. "Ladies and gentlemen I've got bad news and good news. The bad news is that both of our engines have failed. The good news is that this isn't a Boeing 737."

JB_B

Established Member
They can work really well ( I still remember the incredible "Eggs and Bread! Eggs and Bread!" trolley guy on Wales and Borders) but you have to know your audience and context is everything.

That means automated 'comedic' announcements are a terrible idea. Recent example - I enter the stinking toilet of a failed-aircon Pendolino - its vomit-inducing enough already - then the toilet starts up with it's 'hilarious' ( "... I used to be a public toilet..." ) spiel.

Parallel

Established Member
Yeah, the Virgin Trains toilet speech is just damn right weird. Mildly amusing the first time you hear it but I can imagine it gets very annoying VERY quickly if you regularly use the route for long distance journeys. What were they thinking?

InterCity:125

Yeah, the Virgin Trains toilet speech is just damn right weird. Mildly amusing the first time you hear it but I can imagine it gets very annoying VERY quickly if you regularly use the route for long distance journeys. What were they thinking?
What is the virgin trains toilet speech?
I’ve never travelled on virgin trains!

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve etched the script out of my mind, in short it basically just goes on about how it used to be a public toilet and now it’s been promoted. Really odd. :lol:

It's just weird.
The toilet said:
Hello! It's me. The toilet! I just want to tell you not to flush sanitary towels and wipes down the toilet. I mean the usual stuff is fine. I should know when I applied. To be a toilet! I used to be a public toilet, and this is a step up! Anyway, do your thing.

woodmally

There is one guy on EMT from Nottingham to Sheffield who comes out with the phrase "tickets rail cards and excuses" when checking tickets.

He also refers to Sheffield as Capital of the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire. I sadly felt old enough to remember this phrase and had to explain this to younger passengers on a few occasions he has used it.

yoyothehobo

I had a good one on VTEC a month or so ago who gave little snippets of information arriving at stations.

At Grantham: Ladies and gentlemen we will shortly be arriving at Grantham, the home of the Queen of Darkness herself, Magaret Thatcher"

Also announcing Wakefield for all those Rhubarb fans out there.

People on the train seemed to enjoy it quite a bit

Ashley Lewis

Traveling on a Virgin Cross Country Service about 14 years ago and had a chap called Nigel, who always did great announcements, a favourite being, “thank you for traveling with Virgin Cross Country, where the wheels of friendship travel with you”

Parallel

Established Member
Traveling on a Virgin Cross Country Service about 14 years ago and had a chap called Nigel, who always did great announcements, a favourite being, “thank you for traveling with Virgin Cross Country, where the wheels of friendship travel with you”
He’s still on the trains now. Was on a Bristol bound service last year when I travelled between Birmingham and Bristol.

brad465

Established Member
Travelling from Aberdeen to Edinburgh this morning, I sat in the middle carriage where the electric was partly failed, then later completely went (the tunnels were quite interesting). About 3/4 of the way down to Edinburgh, the guard announced the following (in a Scottish accent with a mild pessimistic attitude):

"I apologise for the state of the train today...the electrics have failed in coach 2, it's been a problem for a while but they haven't done anything about it, maybe the generator will fix itself sometime. I'd also like to apologise for the disabled toilet not being available, as a result of it being flooded earlier on." :lol::lol:

For all the faults listed the no lights was rather interesting if anything, and the guard's approach made for a good journey in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.