• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
thatreminds me.

Costa Coffee.
Five banks in my town yet only one coffee shop open after 4 p.m. Yes, it's Costa, and they don't close up or generally p**s off the locals like the rest. Their coffee is acceptable, even the tea these days, and they don't attempt to sell stale food unlike some of their 'rivals.' It's a local franchise now too and their staff do get some basic training too. I'd sooner see the local 'Spoons close than Costa.

Dr Day

Dog poo bags (and other bin bags) that come on a roll - I always struggle to find the serration to separate them then struggle again to open them. Despite various techniques rubbing fingers to find a weak spot it always takes longer than the dog takes to do his business.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
thatreminds me.

Costa Coffee.

I would agree, but a Costa Express machine at a fuelling station last Thursday morning was incredibly welcome on my 72 mile ride to Llandeilo! That said, I'd have been very happy with Rijo (I think that's the brand, if I can find the photo I'll attach it) instead. There's a fuelling station near Kilpeck on the A465 that does that brand and it's really good stuff!

It had been my first Costa in many months, £2.70 for a regular black americano but it was worth the money last week. Better value than the £2.35 small (and I mean small!) coffee I got in Llandovery!

I dunno, the 'Bucks is worse, with their burnt roast and tax evasion.

Last year I had fallen in love with the Bucks, until their app stopped working properly whenever I used it, and had my first one in ages some months back. £3.25 for a small black americano, or was it medium I can't remember, but the cup was nowhere near full. I've gone back to avoiding them since then!

We could solve this by simply banning coffee! Everyone's a winner then, including people like me who don't drink it...

You can 100% jog on. No, actually, run for the hills! I say this while enjoying a cup of coffee (Asda Extra Special Italian Style instant, and yes it's pretty nice. Not Lavazza level of nice, but it will do) and as someone whose output is hugely destroyed by a lack of coffee. Tea does not cut it for me, a week on tea and no coffee a while back near enough destroyed me!

I'd actually prefer to lose chocolate forever than coffee! I do wonder which industry closing forever would affect the most people. I'd be tempted to say the (dairy) chocolate industry, given it gets consumed by all ages and not just adults.

Seriously, take away coffee forever and the world will become a lot less pleasant. That's just for those around me, never mind the world :lol:

Attachments

• 20201028_114036.jpg
    20201028_114036.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201028_114057.jpg
    20201028_114057.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201028_114102.jpg
    20201028_114102.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would agree, but a Costa Express machine at a fuelling station last Thursday morning was incredibly welcome on my 72 mile ride to Llandeilo!

I really like those machines, they prove that, done right, a vending machine can deliver decent coffee. I find it slightly nicer than the shops to be honest.

They started out as a small business called "Coffee Nation"* which I used a lot when I was a student, there was one in the Spar downstairs in the Manchester Uni Precinct Centre**, but then Costa bought them a year or two later.

As a curiosity - when the Costa (rather then Coffee Nation) machines first appeared they didn't have a white Americano button. I Tweeted them about it asking if we could have one, and a few weeks later it appeared!

* More about them including pics here: https://motorwayservices.uk/Coffee_Nation
** "Precinct Centre" was an odd name, almost a tautology - you got shopping precincts and shopping centres, but did it need to be both? :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I seem to remember Coffee Nation, not yet looked at your link to check but they sound like somewhere I'd have looked at years ago. I agree with you that those Costa Express machines do a decent coffee, better than what comes out of the machines in Wetherspoons for example.

Gloster

Established Member
Organisations, companies or individuals who hail some law or regulation change as ‘long overdue’, when it was they that had been fighting tooth and nail to prevent or delay the change. They are almost as bad as those that try to hold up something, but when they see that the battle is lost switch sides and pretend that that was always their position.

Purple Train

Established Member
Railway stations without any benches.
(One for the alternative thread about comedic things you like, which unfortunately seems to have been locked: railway stations with multiple little entrances and exits. I don't know why, but I love them!)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Railway stations without any benches.
At busy stations, people who deliberately sit in the middle of benches so that they get a whole one to themselves (as nobody can sit next to them without getting uncomfortably close)

At quieter stations, people who sit on the same bench as me when there's an empty one a few metres away!

duncanp

Established Member
I would ban journalists from using sloppy English, and make them write out the correct phrase 100 times.

I'm looking at you Sky News.

King Charles III is going to be crowned next year, not coronated

Really annoying.<(<(<(

Ediswan

Established Member

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I would ban journalists from using sloppy English, and make them write out the correct phrase 100 times.

Really annoying.<(<(<(
Another example I saw recently was "applicate" instead of "apply"; apparently it's also in the dictionary.

Purple Train

Established Member

Really annoying.<(<(<(
I completely agree. While I will freely admit I get easily annoyed, not much makes my blood boil. However, that decidedly does.

duncanp

Established Member
Can we also ban supermarkets from having self service checkout tills without a sign indicating which side you should put your basket full of shopping, and which is the "bagging area".

Yes, Morrisons, I am looking at you.

D821

Can we also ban supermarkets from having self service checkout tills without a sign indicating which side you should put your basket full of shopping, and which is the "bagging area".

Yes! Or, at least, make it a standard as to which side the bag packing is done from.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Its common sense as one side is designed for a basket and one for a load of shopping….