• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

py_megapixel

Established Member
Can I ban people in shops from dumping clothes they've decided not to buy in the fitting room cubicles rather than returning them? In some shops you don't even have to take them back where they came from, they provide a rail right outside the fitting room area for this specific purpose!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

Established Member
Following on from my post #5920 regarding my 'negotiating' a new Broadband/TV contract with Virgin Media, I could only get the new lower contract if I agreed to have a Sim Card for O2 Mobile.
I said I didn't want to switch to O2 as I was quite happy with my existing mobile provider.
'No problem' they said. Just don't use it........
Bloody bonkers........

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If price, as opposed to value is your aim it might not suit you. For me, it's normally Waitrose, - which in my experience is little different to Sainsbury or Tesco if you compare like for like in the product itself, rather than the store's line labelling.*

* by that I mean that Tesco's 'Value', or Sainsbury's 'Basic' products do not stand comparison with Waitrose 'Essential' range for value, and Waitrose main (middle) range compares well with Tesco's 'Finest and Sainsbury's 'Taste The Difference' offerings at similar prices.
I assumed it must be Waitrose. I would use it regularly if my nearest one was nearer than a fifty plus miles round trip. I'm not a cynic, despite what many think, so never place price above value!

Thirteen

This is a transport related gripe but kids playing on grab handles or hand rails on trains like they're in a playground and also adults as well when they've had too many beverages, there's a side of me that want the kids to get slightly hurt so they don't attempt it again.

AM9

Veteran Member
Only a matter of time I suppose. You can buy hot cross buns 365 days a year now.

When mince pies aren't available then buy Ecclefechan tarts instead. They're like crack.
And not forgetting Sainsbury's Frangipane pies, - regrettably they only appear in November.

xotGD

Established Member
The use of the term "bleeding out". The person is bleeding.

See also "changing up" when something is changing.

Silenos

Bleeding out means losing sufficient blood to be (potentially) fatal, i.e. major haemorrhage. This is rather different from bleeding, say from a paper cut. The distinction is useful.

AM9

Veteran Member

Same goes for 'checking out', and controversially:
'pi**ed' instead of 'pi**ed off' when the intended meaning is irritated/annoyed, (as opposed to drunk).​
'rammed' which means pushed, whereas 'rammed full' means very full.​
many seem to assume that the American usage of these words/phrases apply in English.

Gloster

Established Member
One that annoys me is using ‘appeal’ on its own, as in ‘appeal the decision’, rather than ‘appeal against the decision’. It is an annoying Americanisation and, more importantly, can sometimes introduce a lack of clarity.

AM9

Veteran Member
One that annoys me is using ‘appeal’ on its own, as in ‘appeal the decision’, rather than ‘appeal against the decision’. It is an annoying Americanisation and, more importantly, can sometimes introduce a lack of clarity.
Or completely alter the meaning, e.g. "I will appeal" Nadine Dorries. o_O

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Doesn't "changing up" have a different meaning to, say, "changing down"? The latter suggests changing to something inferior.

Another one that confuses me is...

Does to "luck in" now mean the same as to "luck out"? Thought the two were opposites?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm going to suggest Facebook, or more specifically, Facebook notifications. I don't object so much to being notified when someone had interacted with one of my posts or comments, but recently I've started seeing things like "so and so has commented on a post that you haven't seen".

What on earth is this all about, other than trying to force me to spend more time scrolling through it and having to view more adv... wait, I've just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

xotGD

Established Member
Bleeding out means losing sufficient blood to be (potentially) fatal, i.e. major haemorrhage.
So "bleeding heavily".
'rammed' which means pushed, whereas 'rammed full' means very full.
I would just say that a train is rammed. Wouldn't consider that as an Americanism.
Doesn't "changing up" have a different meaning to, say, "changing down"?
Not the way I have heard it used. For example, a tennis player "changing up" their serve, just means a different serve.

Calthrop

Established Member
The term ‘do the math’

Is it the general sentiment expressed / wording thereof, that you dislike -- or just the Americanism? Would you be happy with the quoted-as-above, if it were "maths", instead of "math"?

dangie

Established Member
Is it the general sentiment expressed / wording thereof, that you dislike -- or just the Americanism? Would you be happy with the quoted-as-above, if it were "maths", instead of "math"?
‘Do the math’ or ‘Do the maths’ ….. I dislike both of them…..
…. I’d prefer ‘arithmetic‘ :)

PeterY

Established Member
Shop loyalty cards. Sell the goods at the same price to everyone and stop harvesting the the shopping details of customers.

Stan
Its probably been covered before but I hate dual pricing. Everything should be the same price for everyone.

AM9

Veteran Member
Its probably been covered before but I hate dual pricing. Everything should be the same price for everyone.
Why, there's no restriction on who can be a member of a loyalty scheme, especially a supermarket one.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The 'loudspeaker / talking into the mic at a weird angle' thing feels like it's come straight from The Apprentice. On tv there was at least a reason for it.. in real life there's none.
I always imagine people having such conversations to be Captain Kirk fans, given how he used a communicator back in the 1960s.

Pinza-C55

Bleeding out means losing sufficient blood to be (potentially) fatal, i.e. major haemorrhage. This is rather different from bleeding, say from a paper cut. The distinction is useful.

It's commonly used in video games hence it has crossed over into the 3D world.