• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What are "21st century confidence tricks in general"?

Ooh, there's a whole thread in that one I feel.

But certainly the last couple (social media influencing, advertising) mentioned. Infact, couldn't social media itself be described as a large scale confidence trick

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Radio adverts that end with speeded up babbling of terms and conditions.
They should be made to do the whole thing at the same speed.

I ban people on food TV shows from talking with their mouths full. It's disgusting to witness, bad manners, and unprofessional yet nearly everyone does it. Sorry, but I can't get light hearted on this one :{

#Misophone

simonw

Ooh, there's a whole thread in that one I feel.

But certainly the last couple (social media influencing, advertising) mentioned. Infact, couldn't social media itself be described as a large scale confidence trick
Says a man posting on social media......

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, at least this site is based in a good, physical 19th/20th/21st century industry and transport mode, rather than people photographing their dinner.

Chinese tonight since you asked. :)

06557636-6BA3-44D3-A19E-10F1D5F08E16.jpeg

py_megapixel

Established Member
If ban work computers taking fifteen minutes to turn off/on. My old four speed record player used to go from 0 - 78 rpm in about two seconds, so these computers are letting the side down.
If your workplace is still using computers that take that long, they really should look into upgrading them. I can't remember any recent time I've had a computer that took more than a minute or two to boot up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If your workplace is still using computers that take that long, they really should look into upgrading them. I can't remember the last time I had a computer that took more than a minute or two to boot up.

That's part of the problem. They're always upgrading them !!!

ABB125

Established Member
If your workplace is still using computers that take that long, they really should look into upgrading them. I can't remember any recent time I've had a computer that took more than a minute or two to boot up.
I think the problem is likely more to do with network issues rather than computer issues - that's certainly been the case when I was at school.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think the problem is likely more to do with network issues rather than computer issues - that's certainly been the case when I was at school.
That was certainly the case when I was at school. The entire network consisted of a single segment of co-axial cable, with network access points in every classroom that required a short loop of co-ax to be disconnected in order to plug a computer in. Needless to say, there were a few teachers who failed to realise that not replacing said bit of cable would result in the whole network grinding to a halt. It was a fairly regular occurrence to be sitting in a class and have a member of the computing class knock on the door and ask to check that it had been replaced properly.

When I was actually in the computing class, it was often a welcome relief to be asked to go round all the classrooms! :)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
When in (say) a coffee shop there are only a few tables with plug sockets, and people sit at the tables not using them when others are free...

alex397

Established Member
When in (say) a coffee shop there are only a few tables with plug sockets, and people sit at the tables not using them when others are free...
Similarly, me when there are people sat at the front of a double decker bus, but are just reading a newspaper or scrolling through their phone.

duncanp

Established Member

On a similar note, people who go into a coffee shop just to use the Wi-Fi, and sit there tapping away at their device long after the coffee has been finished, or don't touch their coffee at all.

The main purpose of going into a coffee shop (unless you are in Amsterdam <D ) is to drink coffee, with the Wi-Fi and plug sockets being a bonus.

Too many people act as if it were the other way round - using the coffee shop for the Wi-fi, with the coffee being something they would rather do without but have to purchase just to use the facilities.

The clogs up the tables, meaning that some people can't get a seat. <(

Some French cafes have a rule whereby you must purchase a new drink every 45 minutes, or where you cannot consume a small espresso on its own at really busy times.

If I go into Costa Coffee (just for a coffee), I pick the free table that has the most comfortable seats. If that means I am occupying a table with plug sockets, then tough.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
People who start a sentence with the word “so”.

Apologies if it’s already been mentioned, but I’m not willing to check through 59 pages of this thread.

I actually don’t think it has been mentioned in this thread but I do remember it coming up in another thread a while back.
Whilst it doesn’t really bother me if other people do I don’t do it myself too much.

ABB125

Established Member
People who start a sentence with the word “so”.
So, could you expand on this a bit more? :D
I'd ban the phrase "plug sockets". I know it's logical (a socket into which one inserts a plug), but it just sounds silly!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So, could you expand on this a bit more? :D

I'd ban the phrase "plug sockets". I know it's logical (a socket into which one inserts a plug), but it just sounds silly!
I'd ban the use of computers in coffee shops, other than smartphones obviously, and disable all power points in customer areas. I love it when my local Costa has a notice ''sorry, no WiFi'' because there's more room for the cognoscenti. :D

SteveM70

Established Member
Television cookery programmes, unless they can be realistic and every now and again the celebrity chef cooks something, tastes it, grimaces and says something like “ugh, that’s bloody awful”

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Television cookery programmes, unless they can be realistic and every now and again the celebrity chef cooks something, tastes it, grimaces and says something like “ugh, that’s bloody awful”
The nearest thing to that used to be Fanny Cradock's series on BBC, when they only had the one channel, so a year or two back. Fanny was aided by her long-suffering husband, Johnny, who added a few bon mots in-between swigs of the cooking sherry. His best remembered line, delivered deadpan, was ''and may your doughnuts taste like Fanny's.'' :D