• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Community railway plan for Bridport and West Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancasterRed

It's been almost half a century since trains ran from Bridport, and the branch line from West Bay to Maiden Newton is now only a memory.

But a group is now trying to resurrect the line with a new idea for a sustainable railway link.

It's a monumental task – the costs would be astronomical and much of the former branch line route, especially through Bridport, has been built on.
The line was pulled up in 1975 and little trace of it remains in some places.
But the group strongly believes its 'zero carbon' public transport scheme involving a 'tram-like' train on a narrow gauge line should be considered in discussions about future transport solutions, and they want to involve the community and see what support there is for the plan.
It's very early days in the Bridport Branch Renewal Corridor project and the group is currently seeking £50,000 so they can undertake a full feasibility study.
Their vision involves a narrow gauge passenger railway from West Bay to Maiden Newton, with train units powered by battery and hydrogen.

As much as possible their railway would follow the old route from West Bay via Bridport, Bradpole, Loders, Powerstock, Toller Porcorum and to the junction at Maiden Newton, which is on the Weymouth to Bristol line. Plans also include building walkways and cycle paths.
Early estimates indicate it could somewhere in the region of £75 million to £100 million, the group says.
They are hoping to raise the funds through a number of methods including a community share offer, along with innovation and heritage funding from the government. They also hope the development of housing in the area will unlock more funding.
The plans aim to fulfill long-held ambitions to create an accessible community railway along the route.
Michael Hancock, one of the founding members of the group behind the project, said: "This is something which will be innovative and exemplar for other areas of the country in terms of looking at old closed railway lines and looking at how you can bring those back in a different way, to benefit both the community and the environment.
"We're hearing a lot of people agreeing with us already that there’s a real need here and maybe it's time to re-examine this. There's a lot of nostalgia and positive sentiment about the old railway.
"What we’re trying to do is to spread the word. We want to engage with the community and get ideas – the ideas will always come from the community and we want to engage to build a plan.
"This isn’t just a fantasy dreamt up by a bunch of train enthusiasts, it’s something a little bit different and special."
Mr Hancock added: "One of the things we want to make clear is this isn’t a great big railway. Narrow gauge trains are more tram-like then train-like, light in the landscape and much quieter than the trains people are used to."
The group's current priorities are to engage in conversation with the local community and landowners, along with getting local councillors and MPs on side.
The group has made contact with Dorset Council, the Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), sharing plans with them via email. They have not yet had any formal discussions with local councils.
In the 1990s, a similar project was mooted, the 'Brit Valley Railway'.
One of those involved in these plans was Nigel Ewens, who has continued to campaign for this cause for more than 20 years.
Mr Ewens said: “The renewal corridor project is really beginning to gather momentum. I believe the railway will be a catalyst that unlocks the prosperity of the area in terms of connectivity, social inclusion, and in the fight against climate crisis."
For more information about the project, search Bridport Renewal Corridor on Facebook or go to www.bridportrenewal.org.uk
This is an interesting proposal. For a community rail link that directly links the Jurassic Coast to the mainline network without going through Weymouth or Axminster, there would be economic benefits in terms of tourism. Being a narrow-gauge railway too would help with costs and ease of building the line. I would assume some form of tram-train, possibly linking at Yeovil, would also be on the proposer's minds, to ensure easier links to London.

I'm interested to see the thoughts of RUK on this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
It would be a case of where will it be routed, the mountjoy school site is due to have OAP flats built on it and you would have to go through both Bradfords and Morrisons, it almost sounds like they have looked at maps online but not used the satellite view. Plus how would you handle crossing the A35?, I don't think a level crossing would be advised or allowed, and I doubt closing it to do works would be entertained for even a second.

Gloster

Established Member
I have seen some daft proposals, but this one seems to be well along the completely crackers scale. You are going to spend an enormous sum of money rebuilding a line that doesn’t go to where anybody wants to go, so that a few people have to change trains to go somewhere they might want to go to. The claims of ‘zero-carbon’ are ridiculous due to the work involved in reopening the line and the amount of air that would be carted about. I don’t think it is a scam, just a completely impractical dream from one or two dreamers.

This may all sound harsh, but projects like this divert effort away from realistic projects and damage them. (“Oh, it’s just another dreamer’s silly idea, like that...’)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Comical.

Even a ‘light’ railway needs planning consent. This would need a big one. It wouldn’t be less than £200m. Probably £300m. For that amount of cash you could buy every house in Maiden Newton.

What planet are these people on? If you want a low carbon route from Bridport to the railway, three electric buses running a half hourly service to Bridport would cover it. 1% of the cost, much lower carbon, better service.

What am I missing?

Mikey C

Established Member
Comical.

Even a ‘light’ railway needs planning consent. This would need a big one. It wouldn’t be less than £200m. Probably £300m. For that amount of cash you could buy every house in Maiden Newton.

What planet are these people on? If you want a low carbon route from Bridport to the railway, three electric buses running a half hourly service to Bridport would cover it. 1% of the cost, much lower carbon, better service.

What am I missing?
And surely most people in Bridport would want to go to Dorchester anyway, not Maiden Newton! The main town in the area AND direct trains to London

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
And surely most people in Bridport would want to go to Dorchester anyway, not Maiden Newton! The main town in the area AND direct trains to London

Maiden Newton was where they went when Bridport had a railway and changed there for Dorchester West

Mikey C

Established Member
Maiden Newton was where they went when Bridport had a railway and changed there for Dorchester West
Which is exactly the problem with a lot of these proposed reopenings, trying to cater for 21st C needs using lines laid out in the 19th C, which don't go where people want to go now.

BayPaul

Established Member
It is difficult to understand how something so daft could ever be put together.
  • Why narrow gauge - If it was standard gauge at least you could pretend that there was a chance of running through services to Dorchester or Yeovil (even so, since neither of these stations have direct services to London, I don't think that it would help).
  • Why battery AND hydrogen. One or the other fine, but I see no sense in both.
  • Why do they need 6 undercover plus 3 outside roads in their depot.
  • Why do they have a ticket office.
  • Why do they feel that a level crossing over two tracks is the best way to access an island platform.
  • Why does a minor intermediate station on a tiny branch line need three tracks (two with platform, one express),
  • How is a level crossing with barriers across about 5 roads in a town centre, and about an acre of space inside it remotely a good idea (two of the roads being a 'traditional gated crossing' with swinging gates
  • Why are 10 stops needed on a minor branch line that appears to be little more than 10 miles long
  • Why is such a huge building needed for Bridport station
  • Why is there a need for a very short siding between the up platform and level crossing at Bridport station
  • Even if £100M was a practical cost for this, how is it worth that much money. As a community interest company it presumably needs to come close to breaking even - I don't see how running a service from a small town via a dozen hamlets to a village that noone wants to go to would come close to paying running costs, let alone paying back a hundred million pound investment.
As others have said, ridiculous schemes like this only serve to damage those that have a little more credibility, and to distract attention from what could be much more practical schemes - a cycle path to Maiden Newton and a 15 min electric bus frequency to Dorchester - entirely reasonable!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"This isn’t just a fantasy dreamt up by a bunch of train enthusiasts, it’s something a little bit different and special."
Erm, yes it is. :lol:

Alfonso

Which is exactly the problem with a lot of these proposed reopenings, trying to cater for 21st C needs using lines laid out in the 19th C, which don't go where people want to go now.
It didn't go where people wanted to go in most of the 20th century either, which is why it closed.

Mikey C

Established Member
It didn't go where people wanted to go in most of the 20th century either, which is why it closed.
Indeed, but then a lot of the closed branch lines were opened for freight rather than passenger use!

stuu

Established Member
Is this the same nutters people who had a website up in the past wanting to build a narrow gauge railway from Bridport to Crewkerne?

randyrippley

Established Member
This could work if you emulated - or moved - the Seaton Tramway.
But would they be allowed to run a real passenger service using those toy trams?

Veteran Member
The significant length of new build at Bridport (Bradpole to Bothenhampton via the West side of town) really rules it out, and I can't see that Bridport needs what appears to be a Park and Ride station near the bypass.
Admittedly, it is 25 years since I was last there (and 45 since I first visited), but I don't recall the town centre being desperately congested (while even then Chideock wanted a bypass...).
I will confine my crayoning to my model railway which runs west from Dorchester :)

topydre

I'm normally a fan of reopening/new lines but this seems a strange proposal.

Apart from anything else, narrow gauge is way too slow for the 21st century. A bicycle wins the race against many surviving (albeit preserved) narrow gauge lines; a railway far slower than the buses (which also doesn't go directly to Dorchester) isn't going to bring about modal shift. If money is to be spent on a Bridport line (not the highest priority in England...), then it would be better to build a new standard gauge line that takes a more coastal route!

A0wen

On Moderation
Comical.

What am I missing?
Once again, this forum needs a "like" button.....

I don't think you're missing anything. I think those touting this scheme have, like some on these boards, have a "train = good, therefore bus or any road vehicle = bad" prejudice and fail to see reality, even when it's staring them in the face. They're about as sensible as the current anti-vax mob.

I traveled on the line in the summer of 1975 when the closure notice had already been issued. Some old ladies on the train were chatting amongst themselves wondering what on earth they would do when the line closed. I and a friend of mine, both from Lancashire, were off to Bridport in search of our first pints of Palmers Ales.

Grecian 1998

Having grown up in Charmouth, there is a demand for travel from Bridport to Dorchester and Weymouth - although given the consistent cuts to the bus service since First assured Dorset County Council they could run the service commercially in 2013, it's questionable how much. Although in fairness there is a lot of local unhappiness about the cuts. There does not appear to be anything more than trivial demand to Maiden Newton - a village of 1000 people which isn't near anything other than arguably the Cerne Abbas giant - not in itself a major tourist attraction.

If Bridport did need to be connected to the rail network, it would make far more sense to use 21st century technology to cope with the hills and connect it directly to Dorchester. But until a more frequent bus service is viable, that wouldn't make any sense either.

As the original article mentions, this isn't new anyway - it sounds like the Brit Valley project which was talked about 20 years ago. This idea won't have any more success than that did.

Mikey C

Established Member
Having grown up in Charmouth, there is a demand for travel from Bridport to Dorchester and Weymouth - although given the consistent cuts to the bus service since First assured Dorset County Council they could run the service commercially in 2013, it's questionable how much. Although in fairness there is a lot of local unhappiness about the cuts. There does not appear to be anything more than trivial demand to Maiden Newton - a village of 1000 people which isn't near anything other than arguably the Cerne Abbas giant - not in itself a major tourist attraction.

If Bridport did need to be connected to the rail network, it would make far more sense to use 21st century technology to cope with the hills and connect it directly to Dorchester. But until a more frequent bus service is viable, that wouldn't make any sense either.

As the original article mentions, this isn't new anyway - it sounds like the Brit Valley project which was talked about 20 years ago. This idea won't have any more success than that did.
The argument given is always "we need to reopen a branch line as the commercial bus service is terrible" when the answer is for central government to pay for better rural bus services at a fraction of the cost

dgl

Established Member
Agreed on the bus front, in the hayday of the Dorset/Devon services you had a frequent bus service from Weymouth along the coast every two hours and a service via Dorchester to Axminister every hour and new buses operating the route (the X53 that is) that got replaced with brand new (as part of the contract) after 4 years making a very good bus service.
Admitedly the route was probably way too long with buses going all the way from Poole to Exeter having many opportunities to get delayed en route, now if it had followed the Jurassic coast properly for the whole route then it would have made some sense but the Poole section missed out Lulworth and Swanage and as such that stretch of the service didn't really follow the coast in the same way the Weymouth to Exeter section did.

We all know what the real solution is, I know a way of getting a "train" service running from Bridport to Maiden Newton for far less than 100mil and could deliver it with no disruption or large building works,

baza585

Agreed on the bus front, in the hayday of the Dorset/Devon services you had a frequent bus service from Weymouth along the coast every two hours and a service via Dorchester to Axminister every hour and new buses operating the route (the X53 that is) that got replaced with brand new (as part of the contract) after 4 years making a very good bus service.
Admitedly the route was probably way too long with buses going all the way from Poole to Exeter having many opportunities to get delayed en route, now if it had followed the Jurassic coast properly for the whole route then it would have made some sense but the Poole section missed out Lulworth and Swanage and as such that stretch of the service didn't really follow the coast in the same way the Weymouth to Exeter section did.

We all know what the real solution is, I know a way of getting a "train" service running from Bridport to Maiden Newton for far less than 100mil and could deliver it with no disruption or large building works,
Spot on. When Dorset decided to slash bus subsidies, the JC routes went commercial, with the inevitable result that they only run at commercial times. Self inflicted wound by Dorset CC, who are utterly useless at public transport support.

As for a rail link, utter fantasy. All that is needed is for the X51/53 to get enough subsidy to provide a sensible evening and Sunday service. Such thinking is way beyond DCC 's ability..........

dgl

Established Member
Spot on. When Dorset decided to slash bus subsidies, the JC routes went commercial, with the inevitable result that they only run at commercial times. Self inflicted wound by Dorset CC, who are utterly useless at public transport support.

As for a rail link, utter fantasy. All that is needed is for the X51/53 to get enough subsidy to provide a sensible evening and Sunday service. Such thinking is way beyond DCC 's ability..........
I suppose the big issue with the original X53 was that as it crossed county borders (about 1/3rd of it was in Devon) so there probably would have been arguments over subsidy.
Naturally is there much point in having a service to Maiden Newton if there are services already to Dorchester, not only is Dorchester a bigger place but unlike Maiden Newton has trains on two separate lines, plus if you were running a bus service (for all of 0 passengers) the route a bus would need to take to Maiden Newton from West Bay would hardly involve roads most suitable for buses, even if it had to go all the way to teh outskirts of Misterton and join the A356 there at it's junction with the A3066.

As for the subsidy, do DCC have the funds? With very few buses now being supported it would appear that subsidising anything is an ask, even places where the bus services are relatively well patronised a lot of that travel is ENCTS passengers, given that Dorset is a place where people come to stay maybe if the passes went back to being just for your resident county only then that might bring in a lot of much needed income.

Mikey C

Established Member
I suppose the big issue with the original X53 was that as it crossed county borders (about 1/3rd of it was in Devon) so there probably would have been arguments over subsidy.
Naturally is there much point in having a service to Maiden Newton if there are services already to Dorchester, not only is Dorchester a bigger place but unlike Maiden Newton has trains on two separate lines, plus if you were running a bus service (for all of 0 passengers) the route a bus would need to take to Maiden Newton from West Bay would hardly involve roads most suitable for buses, even if it had to go all the way to teh outskirts of Misterton and join the A356 there at it's junction with the A3066.

As for the subsidy, do DCC have the funds? With very few buses now being supported it would appear that subsidising anything is an ask, even places where the bus services are relatively well patronised a lot of that travel is ENCTS passengers, given that Dorset is a place where people come to stay maybe if the passes went back to being just for your resident county only then that might bring in a lot of much needed income.
Which is why funding shouldn't be left entirely to local councils, as (if they can afford anything at all) inevitably they will just finance routes within their boundaries. It's the same problem with road improvements, where roads running across council boundaries struggle to get funding for improvements

A0wen

On Moderation

But what is a "sensible" Sunday or evening service in your view?

To give an example, 20 years ago I lived on a main route between Welwyn GC and Hemel Hempstead in Herts which served Hatfield and St Albans en route - alll far bigger places than Bridport, Dorchester or Weymouth - that ran hourly on a Sunday and the buses on Sunday had a minimal number of passengers on and in the evenings it was not uncommon to see an empty bus rattling past.

The reason why so many evening / Sunday routes have disappeared is because their use was minimal - and running empty buses whether commercially or through subsidy, is madness.

DB

The reason why so many evening / Sunday routes have disappeared is because their use was minimal - and running empty buses whether commercially or through subsidy, is madness.

That rather depends on the purpose. If it's to get cars off the road, it's actually better to run a bus at a loss than force people to use cars (and buy cars if they don't have them, which will then lead to the cars getting used at other times in preference to buses).

Yes, it would be pointless if the bus was always empty, but I rather doubt if that would be the case.

You could equally make the point about trains - many late weekday ones won't be paying the costs of running them, but usable public transport is generally seen as a societal good.

BayPaul

Established Member
That rather depends on the purpose. If it's to get cars off the road, it's actually better to run a bus at a loss than force people to use cars (and buy cars if they don't have them, which will then lead to the cars getting used at other times in preference to buses).

Yes, it would be pointless if the bus was always empty, but I rather doubt if that would be the case.

You could equally make the point about trains - many late weekday ones won't be paying the costs of running them, but usable public transport is generally seen as a societal good.
You can also argue that a decent evening service makes the daytime service more usable, as you no longer need to worry about missing the last bus.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Is this the same nutters people who had a website up in the past wanting to build a narrow gauge railway from Bridport to Crewkerne?
More or less, yes. The cycle path element from Bradpole (north Bridport) to MN is not totally ridiculous, but one does worry about droves of people arriving in cars with bikes on the back, like they do for the Monsail Trail. The area is entirely within the Dorset AONB.

As others pointed out, the X53 /X51 bus needs a DC (was DCC) subsidy for late evening and Sunday extras in Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.