• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commute time to depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Evening all

Does anyone know what system the hiring companies use to determine this? I’ve recently applied (yet to hear back) for a role which states a maximum of 60 mins commute time to depot. However, depending on the time of day, if you type the two postcodes into Google, my commute can be anything from 50 mins to just creeping over the hour mark.

Am I doomed or is there grace for such fine margins?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGoldfish

at my DMI they mentioned they'd used google maps for the journey times ?? It was borderline 1hr but I said that it was obviously dependant on time of day which they seemed to accept ??

Anon87

at my DMI they mentioned they'd used google maps for the journey times ?? It was borderline 1hr but I said that it was obviously dependant on time of day which they seemed to accept ??
Oh really - so it’s not something they consider at the initial sifting stage - more likely it will be discussed at DMI?

TheGoldfish

Oh really - so it’s not something they consider at the initial sifting stage - more likely it will be discussed at DMI?

It was just mentioned by one of the interviewers ... they seemed quite pragmatic and reasonable about it. ... I don’t think they’d be tracking you with a stop watch or anything lol! ....

Jlob2804

My DMI interviewers were cool with me relocating. If they say it's an issue, that's another option. If you're able to of course.

driver9000

Established Member
They use an online journey planner such as Google maps. My commute by road is 35-45 minutes on Google maps and it tends to be pretty accurate.

tlionhart

sometimes they don’t bother. They’ll use general knowledge. Either being a place on the network or somewhere they know or heard of. It’s usually discussed at DMI.
My journey is 35-45mins. With heavy traffic it can be 1 to one and a half hours. They simply don’t want someone commuting from timbuktu to their depot. You’ll be surprised, people do it. (Portsmouth to London is far in a car!)

Anon87

sometimes they don’t bother. They’ll use general knowledge. Either being a place on the network or somewhere they know or heard of. It’s usually discussed at DMI.
My journey is 35-45mins. With heavy traffic it can be 1 to one and a half hours. They simply don’t want someone commuting from timbuktu to their depot. You’ll be surprised, people do it. (Portsmouth to London is far in a car!)

I’d effectively be commuting 30 miles which seems pretty normal to me (from what I’m used to anyway!)

tlionhart

I’d effectively be commuting 30 miles which seems pretty normal to me (from what I’m used to anyway!)

As long as you can prove you can get to work in 60mins, they they’re not bothered. It’s ideal if you can get to work with a mix of public transport or driving in. 30-40miles is the typical distance at my depot. If it’s not that, you live in the town.

Anon87

As long as you can prove you can get to work in 60mins, they they’re not bothered. It’s ideal if you can get to work with a mix of public transport or driving in. 30-40miles is the typical distance at my depot. If it’s not that, you live in the town.
Thanks for that, much appreciated!

craigybagel

Established Member
To be honest, you'll probably find as many different answers as there are different TOCs! All you can do is apply anyway and see what happens.

Av80r

I'm a 6 hour commute from the one I applied for most recently that had a 60 minute commute rule, their HR team asked me if I was willing to relocate if offered the job following successful selection. I was offered an initial interview but didn't take it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.