• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I think you're likely better off loading a prepaid debit card with money, as MasterCard or Visa will be perfectly safe. Far less likely to expire after a year or two when someone inevitably forgets their card. I forget the percentage of gift cards that never get used, but it's quite high.
A few years ago a manager in Argos told me over half their vouchers were never redeemed.

Personally I prefer the Vouchers with a picture of the Queens head on. They are accepted anywhere in the UK - that is unless the till is card only !.

I never understood the reason for turning cash into something as stealable as er cash. There you are mate/luv - here's some money but you can only spend it in a few places ha ha.

I feel sure the missus has a refund voucher from Debenhams - somewhere !.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Always used to be the odd elderly relative that would stick a cheque in a card, shove it in a drawer and find it several months later!

Not as much an issue these days considering you can actually just scan them in with a banking app I suppose!

dgl

Established Member
A few years ago a manager in Argos told me over half their vouchers were never redeemed.

Personally I prefer the Vouchers with a picture of the Queens head on. They are accepted anywhere in the UK - that is unless the till is card only !.

I never understood the reason for turning cash into something as stealable as er cash. There you are mate/luv - here's some money but you can only spend it in a few places ha ha.

I feel sure the missus has a refund voucher from Debenhams - somewhere !.
When I brought my first LCD TV there was an offer in Argos where if you spent over a certain amount you got a money off voucher, wanted a DVD player as well and as the TV had not been available in the nearest Argos though would be passing near it on the way back I ended up spending the voucher ~45mins later!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I brought my first LCD TV there was an offer in Argos where if you spent over a certain amount you got a money off voucher, wanted a DVD player as well and as the TV had not been available in the nearest Argos though would be passing near it on the way back I ended up spending the voucher ~45mins later!
I had an offer like this last year from them - think it was something like spend £50 get a £5 gift voucher, spend £100 get £10.

Typhoon

Established Member
Even if you do go in the correct retailer, you may find you can't spend it at your desired outlet because there is some form of franchise arrangement.

david1212

Established Member
Morrisons still had Arcadia gift cards on display earlier this week.

Back in the last week of November just before the announcement the only reason I did not buy an Arcadia group card for a Christmas gift was that I had sent the same person one for their birthday a few months ago and I recall last Christmas too so I got a One4all card from the Post Office.

I could not have given the Arcadia card with a clear conscience so would have bought another and as for the £20 spent on the Arcadia card might as well have set fire to it - do the new plastic notes burn ?

richw

Veteran Member
Through an app available via my employer we can buy vouchers at less than face value. My most used one is Asda. Scan as I shop, open up the app, buy a voucher for nearest pound under my shop. A digital voucher to scan at the checkout is available in seconds. The Asda option is 5% under face value, so £100 voucher is £95. There is 100s of such offers.

dgl

Established Member
Through an app available via my employer we can buy vouchers at less than face value. My most used one is Asda. Scan as I shop, open up the app, buy a voucher for nearest pound under my shop. A digital voucher to scan at the checkout is available in seconds. The Asda option is 5% under face value, so £100 voucher is £95. There is 100s of such offers.
Same here, we also get 20% off most purchases at all other sites and extra discounts locally, plus use of on site facilities at least on all sites within the brand I work for.

SS4

Established Member
I had an offer like this last year from them - think it was something like spend £50 get a £5 gift voucher, spend £100 get £10.

I had one like that over 10 years ago when I bought my first DAB radio - it's been around for a long time.

xotGD

Established Member
BBC: "Paperchase, which has 127 stationery stores and some 1,500 employees, is on the brink of administration. It's filed a notice to appoint administrators as it tries to rescue the business."

Jamesrob637

Established Member
BBC: "Paperchase, which has 127 stationery stores and some 1,500 employees, is on the brink of administration. It's filed a notice to appoint administrators as it tries to rescue the business."

Think many if not all of those have been incorporated into department stores nowadays.

Typhoon

Established Member
Think many if not all of those have been incorporated into department stores nowadays.
Certainly not all. The one in Canterbury seemed open when I last past, and the one in Sevenoaks still seemed to be OK (difficult to tell at this time). They are probably best in (up market) department stores - most of their stuff seems way too pricey.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Don't know when someone last mentioned Currys PC World, but I expect them to start struggling soon.

Every time I've shopped there I've always been very disapponted by their service. Everyone moves around so slowly and you aren't even acknowledged in anyway for an absolute age.

Even when someone does serve you they don't seem very willing or friendly to do anything and they also don't seem very professional either.

Also, the returns queue is always longer than than the one at the tills.

The people in the returns queue are all very unhappy.

I once had the uneviable task of waiting to be served in the returns queue, only had 3 people in front of me, however, becuase the staff were all on zombie mode it took almost 45 mins to be served.

I'm surprised they are still in business.

Jamiescott1

Don't know when someone last mentioned Currys PC World, but I expect them to start struggling soon.

Every time I've shopped there I've always been very disapponted by their service. Everyone moves around so slowly and you aren't even acknowledged in anyway for an absolute age.

Even when someone does serve you they don't seem very willing or friendly to do anything and they also don't seem very professional either.

I once had the uneviable task of waiting to be served in the returns queue, only had 3 people in front of me, however, becuase the staff were all on zombie mode it took almost 45 mins to be served.

We had an issue in pc World a few years ago and don't shop there again.
We wanted to buy a laptop, and basically the sales guy said the laptop we wanted wasn't in stock and he was trying to upsell as more expensive ones. As my partner was talking to him, I ordered the original one we wanted online on my phone for immediate in store collection. I then told the sales assistant who said the laptop wasn't in stock that I had an online order to collect. His face was priceless when I showed him what it was.

Their trust pilot reviews are shocking

nlogax

Established Member

I suggested Currys PC World over two years ago on this very thread, so while 'soon' is relative it's apparent that the current unpleasantness is rapidly accelerating some pretty inevitable demises. It is a surprise to me that it's managed to keep trading for so long.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

If anything their status as one of the few places where you can physically go to in order to either see or buy things like TV's, laptops and accessories etc will likely protect then - I think they will be safe.

Looking at many of the businesses that have gone under recently, it hasn't really been poor customer experience that has done them in, it has been either the overexpansion of specific places or businesses with large amounts of competition that haven't really had a unique selling point.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
We had an issue in pc World a few years ago and don't shop there again.
We wanted to buy a laptop, and basically the sales guy said the laptop we wanted wasn't in stock and he was trying to upsell as more expensive ones. As my partner was talking to him, I ordered the original one we wanted online on my phone for immediate in store collection. I then told the sales assistant who said the laptop wasn't in stock that I had an online order to collect. His face was priceless when I showed him what it was.

Their trust pilot reviews are shocking
Trust pilot reviews? I can imagine how bad they are as we've both experienced their lack of service first hand! :D

My situation with them -

I bought a CPU for so I could build a PC system for myself.

They had none in store, so had to order it online, when I picked it up in store, I inspected the box and it was severely damaged right where the processor is placed, I didn't open it and decided to get an exchange as it's a fragile part so didn't want to have to return it if it was faulty later on.

So they said right "we'll do an exchange for you sir." So I said thanks very much.

This is where the issues started, as there was no communication from them whatsoever, so after a week spoke to them again and they said it wasn't in stock yet. So I left it for 2 more weeks and still nothing from them. So I spoke to them in store again and they offered me a refund. They said it will be with you in 5-10 working days.

The deadline passed and still nothing so rung them up a few days after the deadline to enquire.

Their excuse was "the refund team are working through a backlog!" So I waited two more weeks and still nothing, not even any sort of communication or apology!

Rung them again and they said the same thing again and so I waited another week and called them again as it wasn't in my account still! They ran out of excuses and so I asked them why is this taking so long? Didn't get much of answer. So I had to threaten them with action by trading standards and then suddenly the sarcastic muppet on the phone stopped laughing and started to listen to me.

They said "right we promise this will be in your account in 5 working days."

It finally came into my accout and oh the relief! It was £210, so it wasn't exactly cheap so was very disappointed with their service from the get go.

While all this was going on, I went to a proper computer shop and had ordered, built and used my new system for 3 weeks before the Currys refund had come back to me!

I shall never shop there again and strongly advise against anyone going to Currys ever! o_O

Also waiting in the refund queue in store for the zombies to sort out 3 people in front of me took nearly 45 minutes too, got chatting to a few of them in the queue and they were all furious at how badly they had been treated, so it's not just me, it's just Currys sloppy standards! Avoid them at all cost!:rolleyes:

I suggested Currys PC World over two years ago on this very thread, so while 'soon' is relative it's apparent that the current unpleasantness is rapidly accelerating some pretty inevitable demises. It is a surprise to me that it's managed to keep trading for so long.
Me too!

If anything their status as one of the few places where you can physically go to in order to either see or buy things like TV's, laptops and accessories etc, I think they will be safe.
Yes, people probably look at stuff and then say, "right I'm off to John Lewis!";)

jon0844

Veteran Member
John Lewis is likely to change beyond all recognition in the future, becoming a shadow of its former self - and more about click and collect.

Our local one is strongly rumoured to be closing the upper levels (to become flats) and leave a vastly reduced shop floor that will likely be more akin to the mini one they have/had at St Pancras. They can then expand the warehouse part and encourage people to buy online.

Of course the problem then is losing your passing trade and those who like to browse department stores and view products hands-on. If you can order online, you'll be also looking at Argos, Amazon etc.

_toommm_

Established Member
John Lewis is likely to change beyond all recognition in the future, becoming a shadow of its former self - and more about click and collect.

Our local one is strongly rumoured to be closing the upper levels (to become flats) and leave a vastly reduced shop floor that will likely be more akin to the mini one they have/had at St Pancras. They can then expand the warehouse part and encourage people to buy online.

Of course the problem then is losing your passing trade and those who like to browse department stores and view products hands-on. If you can order online, you'll be also looking at Argos, Amazon etc.

Dont suppose you’re talking about Oxford Street or Cardiff are you?

(It’s okay if you don’t want to answer if it gives away your location).

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the hotel chains comes close to collapsing in the next few months and has to sell off/close at least a third of their properties to survive.

Typhoon

Established Member

I suppose a lack of a decent alternative.

Similar (but slightly better) experience. Went in to a store, could find no-one to help, asked a manager when it was less busy 'we are always busy, I'll let you know when there is someone free', I said I was leaving as I had waited too long - to which she took exception. I should have pointed out that she had spent the last 20 minutes wandering around, chatting to staff; I would have thought in such circumstances you muck in.

Went back a couple of days later, again busy, different manager found me an oldish chap from out the back, possibly warehouse. He was an absolute star. I had a list so didn't try to sell me stuff I didn't want, or extended warranty; even though items were listed as bought together, he couldn't place them on the same order (other staff said that the system didn't allow it) but persisted, made sure I got the best deal and the items were delivered together.

One item failed during warranty. Filled in on line form, attached photos showing error messages. No response in a week or so, repeated the exercise, still nothing. Resorted to phone, put through rather quickly to a really helpful and polite technician, agreed with my diagnosis, asked when I could return it to the store. Indicated what details I should give to them, stressing that they would need a particular job number. which I wrote boldly on the box. I got the impression it was just going to be 'leave it and we'll sort it'. Soon found appointment was useless as no-one took any notice of it - still had to wait outside. I was in luck, apparently, no-one queuing at technical support. Ten minutes later the support guy gets off the phone (good job I had the Metro), I explained that I had spoken to someone and he had told me to give them a code number, 'what does it mean?'. 'Have you brought it in to be repaired', 'It's under warranty', 'Oh, it will take a long time, it will have to go back to ...' (meaning why don't you sort it out yourself). I had to explain everything again, not interested in the error messages (may not have understood them). One of his colleagues later explained to the tech that the store doesn't use those codes (which, presumably, would have given the tech all the information he needed to know).

After I had picked up the repaired item, I noticed a woman waiting at a Click & Collect table outside who had been there when I went in, while I was asking whether they knew she was there, a chap came out with a bag and plonked it on the table. The woman asked him to wait while she checked it, he turned and walked away, I called after him twice, he just kept going.

Unfortunately there are one or two employees of Curry's who are spoiling the indifferent, apathetic, sullen and lazy atmosphere that the organisation is clearly trying to generate.

To be honest they are like Comet at their worst. If only there was somewhere better.

Yes, people probably look at stuff and then say, "right I'm off to John Lewis!";)
My last experience of them was little better. Shop floor staff not interested - looks like a customer, head down, maybe you will go away. I had some of my (non-technical) questions answered by cheerful and helpful Click & Collect staff, the rest might as well have been dummies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's a number of years ago now, so things may have changed but these stories about Currys/PC World/Dixons/etc. etc. do remind me of my time working for them. I agree that the only reason they're still going is that they managed to outlast their competitors and are now seen as the only option by some. @Typhoon it doesn't surprise me one bit that you had a better experience with someone who was probably warehouse staff rather than sales as they don't (or didn't) rely on commission as much, and more importantly weren't given a sales target that repeated failure to meet would result in a meeting sans tea and biscuits!

SteveP29

Same here, we also get 20% off most purchases at all other sites and extra discounts locally, plus use of on site facilities at least on all sites within the brand I work for.

Perkbox?

We have it here at my employer. I have to admit to being pretty skeptical about it initially, but have used it for lots of stuff and although savings are minimal unless you're forking out upwards of about £75, it's still worthwhile

Typhoon

Established Member
It's a number of years ago now, so things may have changed but these stories about Currys/PC World/Dixons/etc. etc. do remind me of my time working for them. I agree that the only reason they're still going is that they managed to outlast their competitors and are now seen as the only option by some. @Typhoon it doesn't surprise me one bit that you had a better experience with someone who was probably warehouse staff rather than sales as they don't (or didn't) rely on commission as much, and more importantly weren't given a sales target that repeated failure to meet would result in a meeting sans tea and biscuits!
First point - absolutely. Second, presumably why the sales staff I did see were in the vicinity of the wide screen HD TVs? (And why there are certain sections that I can browse undisturbed!) The silly thing is that I had a list of items that I wanted, exact specification written down, totalling over £1k, no sales patter needed. True I also listed the 'offers' that I did not want (and why - because it made me feel good doing so) but a sale is a sale! My ex-neighbour worked for Curry's, always looked stressed out and needing feeding up, now I know why - no biscuits!

221101 Voyager

Established Member
My last experience of them was little better. Shop floor staff not interested - looks like a customer, head down, maybe you will go away. I had some of my (non-technical) questions answered by cheerful and helpful Click & Collect staff, the rest might as well have been dummies.
I’ve been to four different stores in the UK of John Lewis. Milton Keynes, Brent Cross, Kingston (London) & Glasgow.

They were all pretty good, they were helpful, friendly and gave you the time of day too. Plus you get a good warranty too, and it’s for these reasons I choose John Lewis every time as they have never disappointed me in the 7 years I’ve shopped in their stores.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’ve been to four different stores in the UK of John Lewis. Milton Keynes, Brent Cross, Kingston (London) & Glasgow.

They were all pretty good, they were helpful, friendly and gave you the time of day too. Plus you get a good warranty too, and it’s for these reasons I choose John Lewis every time as they have never disappointed me in the 7 years I’ve shopped in their stores.
I'd generally agree with this, John Lewis in general are a cut above other department stores. The exception being the relatively new one in Leeds which is unremarkable (although it looks nice) and felt more like a branch of House of Fraser.

Typhoon

Established Member

This was Ashford!

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I'd generally agree with this, John Lewis in general are a cut above other department stores. The exception being the relatively new one in Leeds which is unremarkable (although it looks nice) and felt more like a branch of House of Fraser.
Well, not every store can be perfect. At least JL are considerably better than Currys.

This was Ashford!
Just wondered what you're referring to, did I miss something?

Typhoon

Established Member
Well, not every store can be perfect. At least JL are considerably better than Currys.

Just wondered what you're referring to, did I miss something?
Ashford: J Lewis with rubbish customer service - 3.6/5 for reviews - (but a very big car park). I've looked up my next nearest, Bluewater (3.7/5), where I have changed buses but never shopped. Bluewater looks like the sort of place to avoid, where you go in and can't find your way out. It took me ages to learn how to get in and out of Merry Hill quickly. I'm glad there are some that are any good, are they, by chance, established stores?

Comparison with Currys: bar is so low even the greatest limbo dancer would struggle to get under that (with the exception of the two excellent staff).

Last edited: