• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

DavidGrain

Established Member
The comments above have confirmed my suspicions about Nisa as I once saw a Nisa van outside a Co-op shop. When I came to view the house in which I now live there was a Nisa store nearby but it had closed down by the time I moved in. As I knew the area I knew that it has previously been a Co-Op and a Somerfield store. After being empty for a couple of years it is now a FarmFoods shop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Are McColl's a regional company? I'd never heard of them until the news stories last week.
Wikipedia says (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS_McColl):
RS McColl, colloquially known as McColl's, is a Scottish newsagent company named after Robert Smyth McColl, who was a professional footballer. It was founded in 1901 by McColl and his brother Tom.[1][2]

RS McColl is a trading name of McColls Retail Group, It has been a prominent Scottish confectioner and newsagent and has been owned in the past by Cadburys and the Southland Corporation of America (7-Eleven).

gg1

Established Member

richw

Veteran Member
I was looking at the wikipedia page below which aside from mentioning two specific stores in NE England doesn't give any indication of areas covered, your link does mention Bath too though so obviously not just Northern England and Scotland. Maybe they just don't have much of presence in the Midlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McColl's
There’s a significant number of McColls stores here in Cornwall. So seems to be national.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have two convenience stores nearby. Both are independent stores, but operate under the banner of one of the buying groups.

Costcutter sources its products from Nisa, and originally their own brand goods were under the Heritage brand. A few years ago they switched to Co-op, although I still see the occasional Heritage product on the shelves. I knew there was a connection between Nisa and the Co-op, but I didn't realise it was an acquisition.

The other shop (including the post office) had the Premier banner. I wasn't aware of the connection with Booker/Tesco, but it explains the Happy Shopper branded goods on the shelves. That shop is now under a different banner, although I forget which.

One thing is that is certain is that it's a fast-moving sector in terms of who owns what!

I'm sure the RSMcColls near me in Falkirk started selling some Safeway Branded Products at one point.

Have the CO-OP of any iteration got any Department Stores left ?
The Safeway brand was retained by Morrisons and is now used for products that they distribute to convenience stores.

I'm not sure about the department stores - I think they've all disappeared, and they've also closed their online electrical retail website too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interesting point, not one I'd considered. Part of me says that all caffeine products should be age restricted, given how addictive it is, but then what age to limit it to? 16 seems a little draconian, 18 more reasonable, I'll have to have a think about my views on that!
If 16 is "a little draconian", how exactly is 18 "more reasonable"?

Surely if 16 is draconian, a less draconian option would be 12 or 14.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Also check out the caffeine levels in coffee flavoured ice cream... Did you know that some period pain medication contains caffeine ? Granted you need to be 16 to buy its "suitable" for 12yr olds. What about a can of coke, cuppa tea, dark chocolate ?

A 15yr old or even younger is more than capable of going shopping for their parents/family/self. Its difficult to restrict sales of products, as you also need to recognise that someone buying a product may not be the person using it.

Interesting points. Well let's just start with the energy drinks and go from there.

If 16 is "a little draconian", how exactly is 18 "more reasonable"?

Surely if 16 is draconian, a less draconian option would be 12 or 14.

Yes I was rushing my post earlier, hadn't really time to consider it properly. I still think photo ID for energy drinks should be a legal requirement for anyone under 16.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I think your missing my point. Energy drinks have less caffeine in them than a cup of coffee. If you are specifically targeting energy drinks then you need to justify that. Kellogg's almost have a point with the new ban on promotions and marketing. You need to ask yourself what are you trying to achieve.

All the supermarkets I go in always flag energy drinks. These targeted bans and restrictions don't work. Education is the way forward.

Yew

Established Member
Interesting point, not one I'd considered. Part of me says that all caffeine products should be age restricted, given how addictive it is, but then what age to limit it to? 16 seems a little draconian, 18 more reasonable, I'll have to have a think about my views on that!
It may be addictive, but what harms have been clinically proven at normal dosage levels?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think your missing my point. Energy drinks have less caffeine in them than a cup of coffee. If you are specifically targeting energy drinks then you need to justify that. Kellogg's almost have a point with the new ban on promotions and marketing. You need to ask yourself what are you trying to achieve.

All the supermarkets I go in always flag energy drinks. These targeted bans and restrictions don't work. Education is the way forward.

Well I never, less caffeine than a cup of coffee?! The ban you mention from Kelloggs sounds intriguing, I feel the need to look that up.

It may be addictive, but what harms have been clinically proven at normal dosage levels?

Define 'normal dosage'!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Well I never, less caffeine than a cup of coffee?!

Red Bull - 9.5mg per Floz (fluid ounce) Vs Starbucks Iced Americano 14.1mg and that's just the tip of the caffeine nightmares.

The ban you mention from Kelloggs sounds intriguing, I feel the need to look that up.

It's the multi promotional sales ban for high sugar foods. Kellogs think they have been unfairly treated.

Define 'normal dosage'!

less than 400mg

jb108822

Interestingly though Morrisons has partnered with Yoti to allow people to age-check themselves through the use of AI. I've only seen it at the Morrisons in Guiseley in Leeds, but it should be rolled out amongst five of the big supermarket chains. They claim accuracy within 2.2 years, and within 1.5 years for those between 16 and 20. If it can't detect your age, it requires manual intervention:

Anecdotally, I've found a lot of people unaware that energy drinks need ID. Indeed I got told to 'f*** off' the other day when I said I can't accept a picture of someone's ID on their phone for a RedBull.

I had that when I worked for Sainsbury's. Girl came in for cigarettes, colleague asked her for ID, she didn't have it, we refused. Tried every trick in the book (photo on her phone, having her kids with her), but we had none of it. She kicked off and banned us from the chippy she worked in. Joke was on her, though - I live in the next town over, so never go to that particular chippy anyway, and my colleague said that the chippy the customer worked at wasn't very good. Was weirdly funny that it didn't even affect us. :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll be darned, those caffeine numbers do surprise me. I dread to think how much caffeine is in my average cup when I make one in the kitchen! o_O Thanks for those numbers, that really has shocked me into considering my caffeine intake from now on.

Fortunately those numbers have come at a good time for me to take on a caffeine reduction challenge, as I conclude a 7 day no chocolate challenge. I can start the caffeine reduction 7 day challenge tomorrow, I really am that surprised by those numbers.

Anyway, topic of thread, I have to say I'm surprised that Edinburgh Woolen Mill is still going. My local branch of it just never looks to have customers, and when I recently visited (went in with someone else) I can see why. It's really expensive, and I can only imagine their time will soon be over.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'll be darned, those caffeine numbers do surprise me. I dread to think how much caffeine is in my average cup when I make one in the kitchen! o_O Thanks for those numbers, that really has shocked me into considering my caffeine intake from now on.

Fortunately those numbers have come at a good time for me to take on a caffeine reduction challenge, as I conclude a 7 day no chocolate challenge. I can start the caffeine reduction 7 day challenge tomorrow, I really am that surprised by those numbers.

Anyway, topic of thread, I have to say I'm surprised that Edinburgh Woolen Mill is still going. My local branch of it just never looks to have customers, and when I recently visited (went in with someone else) I can see why. It's really expensive, and I can only imagine their time will soon be over.

I agree, those sort of middle of the road style clothing shops could be hit by the rising cost of living. With the general customer either going without buying new clothes or changing where they buy clothes from (TK Max/Primark level).

cactustwirly

Established Member

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the amount of caffeine in your coffee tbh.

With the energy drinks it more about the overall calories and sugar content that makes them unhealthy

DelW

Established Member
I thought Edinburgh Woollen Mill had closed down - the branches near me closed after the first lockdown in 2020.
I found them quite useful as one of only two local shops selling clothing suitable for middle-aged (ok, elderly) men. The other one, with a smaller mens range, was M & Co, previously Moffats, which closed around the same time. Now my only option unless I want to travel a distance or buy via mail-order, is Sainsbury's which has a clothing section, but mainly female/child orientated.
Maybe the days when we could look at or even try on clothing before buying are ending?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think you're right there good sir, we're in a new era of clothes buying. I dislike buying clothes online with a fiery passion, it's just not the same. I will make exception for something I've bought before and simply want another of the same size though.

It's a real challenge when I want to buy new cycling gear for example, ordering online makes sense when it's from a shop that's not local or online-only. I like Decathlon, they do all sorts of stuff I want so I could easily spend a small fortune on the limited amount of times I visit. I still prefer to delay my shopping with them until a time that I'm near one though, I just prefer buying in person. Last year I ordered some dhb bib shorts, no chance of seeing them in the flesh before buying so took a gamble with the size. Thankfully I ordered medium, as they were a bit small in places. Yet the Aldi medium is huge on me (they don't do a men's small when they have the cycling gear on offer, no idea why as they do XL), so I am glad I didn't order small with dhb!

Small size fits pretty well for me with other brands, for example the Adidas running tights I'm currently wearing. Although to be fair, I think with the bib shorts they needed to be medium to factor in the belly. That's rather out of line with the rest of me, but I'm slowly working on that.

When it comes to trying stuff on in shops before buying, I still haven't got used to that being a thing again now such restrictions are over. Truth be told, I always forget such an option even exists!

As for Sainsburys' clothes range, I thoroughly agree. In my local Sainsburys, the men's clothing range is tiny, the children's one bigger and it's completely taken over by women's clothes otherwise.

I would guess you are a bit like me in preferring to get a feel, literally, for the clothes you buy before committing to them. Something can look amazing on a website, but then feel completely wrong when it arrives, and I do not have the patience to try and deal with online returns. All that messing around with printing labels, queuing up for an eternity in a Post Office etc, ugh no thanks!

Kite159 makes a fine point, I don't really buy new clothes at the moment and I suspect plenty of others are the same. I am needing new clothes, but such purchases are being pushed back. Granted, I did have to buy a suit fairly recently, but otherwise the priority is on essential purchases. New clothes is not a priority, I can and will make do! So I predict another big wave of changes to the High Street/shopping centres.

DelW

Established Member
I would guess you are a bit like me in preferring to get a feel, literally, for the clothes you buy before committing to them. Something can look amazing on a website, but then feel completely wrong when it arrives, and I do not have the patience to try and deal with online returns. All that messing around with printing labels, queuing up for an eternity in a Post Office etc, ugh no thanks!
Very much so - with items like fleeces for example, I find they can vary from so thin you can almost see through them, to so thick they'd suit an arctic expedition, but you can't tell from the photos on a website or in a catalogue. In a shop it's immediately obvious.
I almost never return items unless they're completely unsuitable. I persuade myself they'll be OK, wear them a few times, then they end up staying in the wardrobe until I admit reality and take them to a charity shop.
I was quite impressed by one recent mail order supplier though - the goods were accompanied by pre-printed return forms and sticky labels, so had I wanted to return them the process would have been a bit less hassle. In the event they were fine, though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very much so - with items like fleeces for example, I find they can vary from so thin you can almost see through them, to so thick they'd suit an arctic expedition, but you can't tell from the photos on a website or in a catalogue. In a shop it's immediately obvious.
I almost never return items unless they're completely unsuitable. I persuade myself they'll be OK, wear them a few times, then they end up staying in the wardrobe until I admit reality and take them to a charity shop.
I was quite impressed by one recent mail order supplier though - the goods were accompanied by pre-printed return forms and sticky labels, so had I wanted to return them the process would have been a bit less hassle. In the event they were fine, though.

I know what you mean there, I've seen such clothing before and they're in the category of 'why bother'. More so when they're not cheap!

I get you with keeping something in the wardrobe, I have some hi-vis waterproof trousers in mine that I've not even unwrapped yet. They've been in there for the best part of 18 months I think, but I am still yet convinced I will need them soon. Of course, if I get rid of them then I'll need them by the next day :lol:

Good to hear that with one supplier at least, makes you wonder why they don't all do that.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we try to keep discussion in this thread to companies that you expect to disappear soon.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread.

thanks

dorsetdesiro

Is the McColls takeover a good thing as this could collapse Morrisons as it was itself taken over recently?

Also the foray into c-stores didn't work out for Morrisons in the past though it could this time round as McColls comes ready with many branches to save Morrisons starting from scratch by opening/building more new stores.

Good news about the jobs saved, I'm happy to see McColls stores converted to Morrisons if this happens as I'm not keen on the McColls stores which are more newsagent-like than mini supermarkets that rival c-stores seemed to have transformed into over the years.

I do remember "Alldays" becoming "Co-op Welcome" then now just plain Co-op with more focus on food!