• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Company owned bus stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The discussion on another thread re: Camborne bus station got me thinking... How many bus stations are owned by bus operators rather than local authorities or PTEs or private owners such as shopping centres (though they may be managed by operators on their behalf)? Many have been sold for redevelopment such as celebrated instances like Southampton or Salisbury.

Taunton is one notable example as is Bristol. Small ones like Alnwick and Blyth in the north east, but which other ones?

(Note: I think Lewes and Winchester have been sold but are still in use pending redevelopment by their new owners)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Ayr, is owned by Stagecoach, Its also not one of the best going.

Wasn't Aberdeen owned by stagecoach before the redevelopment?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
In West Yorkshire a few aren't owned by the Combined Authority and in some cases its either an operator, a town or parish council or some are owned by shopping businesses.

These are:
~ Otley (either the Town Council, the shopping centre or FirstGroup own it)
~ Holmfirth (HVPC own it).
~ Wakefield (Arriva owns it)
~ Hemsworth (Tesco owns it)
~ Keighley (Transdev owns it)

Everywhere else is Metro / WYCA owned.

In South Yorkshire the, almost bankrupt, PTE owns all of their interchanges apart from Doncaster which is owned by Frenchgate. What suprises me is that SYPTE haven't yet sold off their interchanges to try and recoupe the money that they have wasted on having to reprint timetables as it had incorrect information printed in them. No wonder the TIC's and timetables were scrapped.

Elsewhere, Folkestone is owned by Stagecoach as is Chichester. Belper is owned by TrentBarton and also doubles up as a depot. Horsham is a sort of wierd mix between the building is owned by the council but the timetable information is dealt with Metrobus.

CatfordCat

Belper is owned by TrentBarton and also doubles up as a depot.

Slightly surprised that's still there - last time I travelled through it, it was a tight fit with 1990s size buses!

There can't be many of that sort of thing left. Lincoln St Marks, Newark and Scunthorpe (Lincs Road Car) - at least at Scunthorpe and Newark, the depot wasn't under the same roof, High Wycombe (Alder Valley - can't remember if it opened in Thames Valley days) and Longton (PMT) - are all now demolished.

Longton was I think unique in also having the only ten pin bowling alley owned by the BET Group, and also having Jollees Cabaret Club upstairs

DunsBus

Established Member
Eastern Scottish had several:

- Berwick (jointly with United)
- Dalkeith
- Galashiels
- Kelso
- Livingston
- and of course Edinburgh's St Andrew Square bus station.

With the exception of Galashiels and St Andrew Sqaure, the depot buildings were immediately adjacent.

All now gone, the old Galashiels bus station having just been demolished within the last fortnight. The replacement Edinburgh bus station is council-owned.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Slightly surprised that's still there - last time I travelled through it, it was a tight fit with 1990s size buses!

There can't be many of that sort of thing left. Lincoln St Marks, Newark and Scunthorpe (Lincs Road Car) - at least at Scunthorpe and Newark, the depot wasn't under the same roof, High Wycombe (Alder Valley - can't remember if it opened in Thames Valley days) and Longton (PMT) - are all now demolished.

It happens with a few of the EYMS places too such as Pocklington and Elloughton. Driffield could also have been added to that list but that was closed due to it losing money.

On the very few occasions were Anlaby Road is closed in the inbound section, and the road along the side of the depot is also closed for repairs/lining, services will run down Boulevard, down the back of the depot, enter it from the fueling bays, travel through the depot and then exit onto Anlaby Road to complete the journey.

When word gets around thats on, those buses get very busy with enthusiasts!

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Blazefield own Harrogate and Knaresborough, they also appear to maintain Ripon (signs etc.) but think that is NYCC owned.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Transdev Blazefield own Harrogate and Knaresborough, they also appear to maintain Ripon (signs etc.) but think that is NYCC owned.

I did wonder about Harrogate. Ripon's bus station is built on the part of the site of the old one but I think that site was sold independently by North East Bus; the operations were sold to Blazefield but not the property? They may well manage it though
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Eastern Scottish had several:

- Berwick (jointly with United)
- Dalkeith
- Galashiels
- Kelso
- Livingston
- and of course Edinburgh's St Andrew Square bus station.

With the exception of Galashiels and St Andrew Sqaure, the depot buildings were immediately adjacent.

All now gone, the old Galashiels bus station having just been demolished within the last fortnight. The replacement Edinburgh bus station is council-owned.

I didn't know St Andrews Square and it's labyrinthine tunnels was owned by ESOL/SBG. I'd always thought Gala was owned by the council!

Dalkeith I remember (was Livingston similar) and was reminiscent of Darlington being a combined bus depot and station under cover
Workington

Of course - wasn't it the UK's first purpose built bus station?
It happens with a few of the EYMS places too such as Pocklington and Elloughton. Driffield could also have been added to that list but that was closed due to it losing money.

On the very few occasions were Anlaby Road is closed in the inbound section, and the road along the side of the depot is also closed for repairs/lining, services will run down Boulevard, down the back of the depot, enter it from the fueling bays, travel through the depot and then exit onto Anlaby Road to complete the journey.

When word gets around thats on, those buses get very busy with enthusiasts!

Elloughton and Pocklington are the classic "yard in front of depot being called a bus station" affair. Same with Hornsea. Think Driff had an office that opened at peculiar times but couldn't really be called a bus station

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

There can't be many of that sort of thing left. Lincoln St Marks, Newark and Scunthorpe (Lincs Road Car) - at least at Scunthorpe and Newark, the depot wasn't under the same roof.

Newark, Retford and Worksop are now owned by Nottinghamshire County Council, I do believe that Scunthopre bus station was rebuilt as it looks fairly new.

Lincoln's appears to be owned by Lincoln City Council but with Stagecoach running the travel shop. I think Skegness Interchange is owned by LCC but again the travel shop is operated by Stagecoach.

Hessle is owned by the East Riding of Yorkshire council, the same for Bridlington and Beverley but the Travel Points are managed by EYMS.

Selby bus station is owned, by the looks of it, Arriva.

Ian Hardy

First WofE own Bath & Bristol; First H&D own Fareham; Go South Coast own Newport (IOW) & I think Poole; First Eastern Counties own Lowestoft I think ?

DunsBus

Established Member
I didn't know St Andrews Square and it's labyrinthine tunnels was owned by ESOL/SBG. I'd always thought Gala was owned by the council!

Dalkeith I remember (was Livingston similar) and was reminiscent of Darlington being a combined bus depot and station under cover

St Andrew Square was owned by SOL/ESOL up until the early 1990s when it was bought by Lothian Regional Council, passing to City of Edinburgh Council in the 1996 Scottish local government shake-up. The tunnels were in use up until the end, although they were to be avoided if at all possible as local druggies used them as toilets. Surface crossings were provided if you wanted to avoid the tunnels.

Galashiels was owned by SOL, then Lowland and finally First, although the loos there in the final years of its existence were operated by the council. It was purchased by Scottish Borders Council in 2013 as part of the works associated with the Borders Railway. The new Transport Interchange, the replacement for the bus station, is owned by the council.

Dalkeith and Livingston were both combined bus stations and depots as was Kelso.

Berwick was an interesting one as ownership of the bus station and the adjacent depots was split between SBG and NBC. The SOL and United depots were next-door neighbours in the same building, separated only by a dividing wall.

MotCO

Established Member
Not sure if it counts, but Sevenoaks Bus Station received a makeover, courtesy of Go-Coach, who also run the information kiosk. The bus station is probably owned by the Council.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
In West Yorkshire a few aren't owned by the Combined Authority and in some cases its either an operator, a town or parish council or some are owned by shopping businesses.

These are:
~ Otley (either the Town Council, the shopping centre or FirstGroup own it)
~ Holmfirth (HVPC own it).
~ Wakefield (Arriva owns it)
~ Hemsworth (Tesco owns it)
~ Keighley (Transdev owns it)

Everywhere else is Metro / WYCA owned.
I believe Keighley is owned by Metro but managed by Transdev
Wakefield is owned and managed by Arriva
All the other ones excluding those mentioned are owned and managed by Metro. Travel Centres at Dewsbury and Pontefract are run by Arriva though.

I think Otley is owned by the shopping centre as is White Rose Centre.

Last edited:

CatfordCat

Newark, Retford and Worksop are now owned by Nottinghamshire County Council, I do believe that Scunthopre bus station was rebuilt as it looks fairly new.

Lincoln's appears to be owned by Lincoln City Council but with Stagecoach running the travel shop. I think Skegness Interchange is owned by LCC but again the travel shop is operated by Stagecoach.

The Scunthorpe Bus Station / depot I'm thinking of - picture here closed some time in the late 90s. Newark was a similar concept - depot and bus station separated and the bus station more open, unlike the St Marks / Longton and so on.

Yes, Lincoln (City) Bus Station is managed by Lincoln City Council - it's the 1970s 'ground floor of multi storey car park' sort of monstrosity, that's part of the same structure as Co-op store and (now) other retailers. The whole lot has been under plans for redevelopment since the early 90s at least.

I'm not sure about the current Skegness bus station. The (Richmond Drive) bus station was partly built on railway land (in an era when both Lincs Road Car and BR were under the British Transport Commission) and there was a separate LRC company owned Bus Station on Drummond Road - building still standing - picture here.

Grimsby's Brighowgate Bus Station was another LRC owned bus station, which later passed to Applebys and was still in use by them until their demise around 2000.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
St Andrew Square was owned by SOL/ESOL up until the early 1990s when it was bought by Lothian Regional Council, passing to City of Edinburgh Council in the 1996 Scottish local government shake-up. The tunnels were in use up until the end, although they were to be avoided if at all possible as local druggies used them as toilets. Surface crossings were provided if you wanted to avoid the tunnels.

Galashiels was owned by SOL, then Lowland and finally First, although the loos there in the final years of its existence were operated by the council. It was purchased by Scottish Borders Council in 2013 as part of the works associated with the Borders Railway. The new Transport Interchange, the replacement for the bus station, is owned by the council.

Dalkeith and Livingston were both combined bus stations and depots as was Kelso.

Berwick was an interesting one as ownership of the bus station and the adjacent depots was split between SBG and NBC. The SOL and United depots were next-door neighbours in the same building, separated only by a dividing wall.

Ah, I remember Kelso - last time I popped in there whilst heading north only about a matter of weeks before closure. The allocation was down to about 5 but the travel office was still open!!

I remember St Andrews Square well from the period 1984-7 when my sister lived in Edinburgh!

pemma

Veteran Member
The current Knutsford bus station was built by Booths Supermarkets. Although, it is owned and (not) maintained by Cheshire East council.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Elloughton and Pocklington are the classic "yard in front of depot being called a bus station" affair. Same with Hornsea. Think Driff had an office that opened at peculiar times but couldn't really be called a bus station

Driffield was designated a bus station - hence why I said it as such

robertclark125

Established Member
The closed Worswick Street bus station used to be owned by Go Ahead Northern.

Stagecoach Bluebird, I believe, own Elgin. Their signage is all round it.

Who owns the two bus stations in Washington, at Concord, and the Galleries?

CatfordCat

Of course - wasn't it the UK's first purpose built bus station?

It was indeed, built in 1926.

In terms of enclosed bus station, I can't argue with that.

However, Maidstone had a Bus Station (in terms of an off road parking area with dedicated facilities) in 1922 - I have seen this claimed as England's first bus station. I can only find a fairly small picture on the web - here

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The closed Worswick Street bus station used to be owned by Go Ahead Northern.

Stagecoach Bluebird, I believe, own Elgin. Their signage is all round it.

Who owns the two bus stations in Washington, at Concord, and the Galleries?

I think Concord is a Nexus location.

Northern General owned a number of bus stations including Jarrow (next to the depot), Sunderland Park Lane, and bizarrely, Durham bus station!

The latter was transferred to United on the formation of the NBC but wonder if that is still owned by Arriva?
Driffield was designated a bus station - hence why I said it as such

Designated? It seemed to be referred to as EYMS depot in timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.