• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparing and Contrasting Retro and Compass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently went on the Retro railtour to Southend 28-05-11 and the Compass tour to Dundee 01-06-2011. Both good trips.Here are a few comments.
Start Time Retro later and more sociable but Compass trip further to travel.
On Train Info. An excellent 8 page booklet with route detail and timings from Retro plus an old style ticket not dissimilar to thise issued by BR in the 80's. Compass 2 sided sheet which doubled up as the ticket.
Price Retro £54 Compass £69 again Dundee further than Southend.
Traction. Retro more imiginative with two class 31's where as the Compass trip saw a class 47 (out) and 57 (back) in charge. A pity the 31's had to come off at Nuneaton due to limited fuel capacity (and were replaced by a 67).
On Board Atmosphere. Retro better and more convivial probably due to the hand pumped ales delivered down the train too. Compass bottled beers only.
Scenery/Route. Compass more spectacular especially in the Lakes/South Lakes/Scottish coast including the Forth and Tay bridges. It's a shame the train didn't come back along the East Coast route as 1st advertised. Credit to Retro though for going on underground/overground line. Great to see the open mouthed passangers on the platforms 'What the so and so is this train doing on this line'. I for one, like going through urban araes where the train regularly accelerates/decellerates. This makes for good thrash!
Punctuality. Excellent on both. The Retro tour was held up outside Stoke due to factors totally beyond their control which was unfortunate.
Funniest Incident. Retro where teenagers decked out in Barcalona regalia tried to board the train at West Hampstead. (the one stop off point for people getting off and wanted a day out in London). Got off with seconds to spare.
Stewards. 1st class on both.
On the evidence of the two tours Retro shades it for me but I'd certainly travel with both companies again.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Stock. Coffins on both, so I'd probably travel with Spitfire next time.

4SRKT

Established Member
It wasn't necessarily meant so. It's my trademark whinge (TM) that I always trot out ;)

What was on the other end?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It wasn't necessarily meant so. It's my trademark whinge (TM) that I always trot out ;)

What was on the other end?

Compass and Retro also have slightly different markets. Compass Tours are filled with mainly day trippers. When I went on the Rugby to Dundee tour last month there were very few bashers/enthusiasts on the train. Retro seem to aim at both and use more variety of locos to attract more enthusiasts.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed, two separate markets, it is a bit like comparing say Steam Dreams to BLS (maybe not as different), two different sets of people will go for them, in the case of the OP, daytrippers and a bit of traction compared to a run out with maybe a couple of loops for the track bahers and some standard haulage. In my example, classic steam routes (Waterloo-Staines-Guildford-Victoria is a favourite of theirs) vs. getting lots of freight branches, crossovers and loops done!

BLS and Pathfinder all the way here, though I do enjoy Compass and UKRT too! ;)

crewmeal

I was in 1st on the Curnow Irrupter last weekend and the Riviera stock used was in a poor state. Many of the seats were threadbare and dirty with mould around the windows. The buffet restaurant car leaked like a sieve, along with a leaky entrance area in a Mk1 coach. (Yes it rained a lot that day).

There was a compartment brake coach at the rear and despite there being no notices to keep out, a rather officious individual from Riviera told several guys in no uncertain terms to get out! All they were doing was taking photos.

The Pathfinder team were excellent along with Grices caterers who were on duty for no less than 18 hours.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was in First too on the Curnow Irruptor (an end of school treat sort of thing), and I found the stock to be OK, as much as I detest Mk1s. My travelling counterpart was one of the ones told to get out of the brake coach, this occured at Alphington Rd (Exeter) I believe!

Compass and Retro also have slightly different markets. Compass Tours are filled with mainly day trippers. When I went on the Rugby to Dundee tour last month there were very few bashers/enthusiasts on the train. Retro seem to aim at both and use more variety of locos to attract more enthusiasts.

Yes a good point.
Many more travellers on the Retro tour had the GB Rail atlas out!

Crimson_Quiff

I support both railtour operators. I have travelled on 2 of Compass' trips this year so far, hoping to get at least two more in before the year's out! As regards to Retro, I have travelled on all trips so far. The first 3 as a steward and the rest 'on the cushions'.

I am good friends with Mr. Palmer (Retro) and also get on well with the Melia brothers (Compass), not to mention the stewards on both operators! This adds to a nice warm, welcoming and friendly atmopshere aboard their tours.

Top marks to both :)

Status
Not open for further replies.