• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparing our fares with fares in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
£10600 a year is not in the slightest bit expensive for a 150 mile journey (according to a map) that takes just 90 minutes on modern rolling stock. Do this journey 250 days a year and it's comparable to 10 return journeys to New York!
Not in the slightest bit, really? You must be in some job if you consider that not very much. Still over 3x the price of a DB Bahncard 100, I know what I'd consider better value...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Not in the slightest bit, really? You must be in some job if you consider that not very much. Still over 3x the price of a DB Bahncard 100, I know what I'd consider better value...

You beat me to it!!! £10000 is very expensive although this is rip off Britain.

soil

Established Member
£10600 a year is not in the slightest bit expensive for a 150 mile journey (according to a map) that takes just 90 minutes on modern rolling stock. Do this journey 250 days a year and it's comparable to 10 return journeys to New York!

Well yes, but not a very flattering analogy since 10 return journeys to New York on, say British Airways, can be had for around £4k, and would earn you BA status, lounge access, etc.

Mr Spock

As we are not in Germany whats the point.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well yes, but not a very flattering analogy since 10 return journeys to New York on, say British Airways, can be had for around £4k, and would earn you BA status, lounge access, etc.

How about an analogy of Exeter to London? Similar distance, almost twice the journey time, much more expensive season tickets, older rolling stock.

soil

Established Member
bloody northerners taking money from down south. outrageous.

All Line Rover

Established Member

It's not that I'm in 'some job', just that I consider this sort of commute to be a luxury! I don't want to go into a debate on German vs British rail fares, but if I was on the sort of salary where I could afford this commute, I'd plump for the 16k/y First Class option no questions asked (with the exception of the question 'why did I pick Crewe to live in out of all places?' :lol:).

6Gman

Established Member
It's not that I'm in 'some job', just that I consider this sort of commute to be a luxury! I don't want to go into a debate on German vs British rail fares, but if I was on the sort of salary where I could afford this commute, I'd plump for the 16k/y First Class option no questions asked (with the exception of the question 'why did I pick Crewe to live in out of all places?' :lol:).

Because it's a nice part of the country?

Where you can buy a rural semi with three bedrooms for c.£160,000?

nedchester

Established Member
As we are not in Germany whats the point.

The point is that £10000 is a very high price to pay for a yearly season ticket. Germany is a similarly sized country to ours (with a similar economic profile) but our railways charge massively more. Makes you think.

Established Member

Ah, but I normally pay £290 return to New York by flying shocking routes on the worst possible carriers, I'd only be paying £2900 lol :)

Flying Snail

Established Member
Because it's a nice part of the country?

Where you can buy a rural semi with three bedrooms for c.£160,000?

And the distance from London is a lrge factor in the relative cheapness of property. The trade-off is that if you wish to commute from there you should expect much higher season prices.

The point is that £10000 is a very high price to pay for a yearly season ticket. Germany is a similarly sized country to ours (with a similar economic profile) but our railways charge massively more. Makes you think.

Makes me think that the price for what you get is not that high. The fact is that mass long distance commuting is a very bad thing in many ways. It is environmentally unfriendly and a huge burden on transport infrastructure. Any way you look at it for someone to be commuting 320+ miles a day is a ridiculous proposition and one that would be completely unsustainable for more than a minute % of London workers. Were the season fares for all such commuting distances reduced to the level you would appear to seem reasonable the added numbers would be far more than the current network would be able to cope with, should the public purse be used to continually improve the infrastructure to facilitate such commuting habits?

Mr Spock

We are told how wonderful German railways are compared to ours on a frequent basis but nothing is ever done about so as I said "whats the point" of keep mentioning it.

nedchester

Established Member
We are told how wonderful German railways are compared to ours on a frequent basis but nothing is ever done about so as I said "whats the point" of keep mentioning it.

Just to remind people (again) that you get better VFM in Germany than in the UK.

tgsh2011

Ah, but I normally pay £290 return to New York by flying shocking routes on the worst possible carriers, I'd only be paying £2900 lol :)

You wouldn't mind PMing me some of these shocking routes would you? I'm very interested! :D

soil

Established Member
London Midland Only to Liverpool, then container ship to New York.

All Line Rover

Established Member
An annual Season [from Crewe to London on London Midland] is £6240, compared to £10060 with Virgin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.