• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparison of number of trains operated by Southeastern vs all of Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Class377/5 said:
Don't forget that SE runs more trains than Switzerland so if your logical truly applies to operations then you should tell them they should only have one terminal station.
Really? I am struggling to believe that SE runs more trains than the whole of Switzerland. How many does SE run on a weekday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Really? I am struggling to believe that SE runs more trains than the whole of Switzerland. How many does SE run on a weekday?

Google is your friend...

https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/about-us/about-southeastern/

Southeastern has been running the train service between London and Kent and parts of East Sussex since 2006. We operate one of the busiest networks in the country and also run the UK’s first domestic high speed service with Javelin trains.

Our 4,000 employees ensure that 640,000 passengers travel to their destination safely every weekday.

We run 1,922 passenger trains on weekdays, 1,690 on Saturdays and 968 on Sundays.
We manage 166 stations and we serve 179 stations.

On Moderation
Google also reveals this for SBB in 2014 (and I presume does not include any other railways): http://geschaeftsbericht.sbb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/SBB_Facts_and_Figures_2014.pdf

Specifically:
Average number of passengers per day m PJ/day 1.18
Average passengers per train number 127

Dividing one by the other gives 9,291 trains per day. That is substantially more than South Eastern.

anme

Established Member
Also remember that the population of Switzerland is about 8 million people. The fewer than the population of London, and not much more than 12% of the population of the UK.

Gordon

I've seen a figure quoted for the number of passenger movements at Zurich Hauptbahnhof of 2915 per day.

Plus

Taking data from the Reisezüge der Schweiz train compositions site, I counted 2040 trains; not all trains will be daily (most are though) but this site covers mainly trains of status RE and above, i.e. not including local stopping and S-Bahn services, so the number would be much higher anyway.

Groningen

Established Member
I think that Swiss trains are running more without a delay than SE.

Groningen

Established Member
I'm not by any means an expert, but isn't quite a lot of that down to generous timings?

In one of the tightest railwaysystem in Europe you think that Switzerland can allow to have a stationstop to be very spacious?!

DownSouth

Established Member
I'm not by any means an expert, but isn't quite a lot of that down to generous timings?
Yes.

That's the way it should be too - only promising what you can deliver is the best way to build confidence in the reliability of any service, transport or otherwise.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Yes. There are long recovery time/connection stops, not only at the extreme ends but also along the way. And frequencies are low compared with the UK - most services are on an hourly pattern, with half hourly being particularly good.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's the way it should be too - only promising what you can deliver is the best way to build confidence in the reliability of any service, transport or otherwise.

Ideally, and absolutely if you were talking about, say, Northern or TPE (which is why I oppose TPE upping frequencies while still pratting about with short trains; I'd say it would be more sensible not to add the extra train per hour, or even to remove one, but for the new stock to be 6 or 7-car or even longer instead of 5).

But the London commuter loading is so high that we have little option but to ram as many trains in as possible and sort the mess out between the peaks.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
The biggest city in Switzerland is comparable in size to Greater Bristol so you wouldn't expect comparable frequencies between the Southeastern area to Switzerland. It would make more sense to compare frequencies between comparable sized city pairs.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The services which run only hourly are generally in areas with very low population density, the services around and between cities are half-hourly or better. Stops at interchange stations in Switzerland are often long to allow people to change better trains and line speeds are slow, but I don't think that the timetables otherwise have significantly more slack that anywhere else. SBB's figures show that their infrastructure is the most intensively used in Europe. A lot of the secondary lines (and even some main lines in places) are single track, the movements around major stations are very dense.

Groningen

Established Member
There are 100 trains from Zürich HB from 16 till 17 hours; what has SE in that hour to offer?

Clip

Established Member
There are 100 trains from Zürich HB from 16 till 17 hours; what has SE in that hour to offer?

I dont doubt that but 100 in an hour that is earlier than rush hour?

Se has victoria/charing crioss/cannon st/st pancakes to go from but I dont know what is right or wrong.

Can anyone come compare?

Does it matter?

Groningen

Established Member
Looking at the Wikipediamap of SE the area served is small.
1000px-Southeastern_TOC_route_map_2010.svg.png

Last edited:

JonnyB

...Don't forget that SE runs more trains than Switzerland ....

I recall that this assertion was frequently made by Iain Coucher a few years ago when he was chief exec of Network Rail (I was working in NR HQ at the time), and this became "folklore" within the organisation (and probably beyond). He was furious when he discovered that he had been misinformed about this. I believe that the person who provided the figures (I know not who) had confused Network Rail's South Eastern route with the whole of the southern region.

Class377/5

Established Member
I recall that this assertion was frequently made by Iain Coucher a few years ago when he was chief exec of Network Rail (I was working in NR HQ at the time), and this became "folklore" within the organisation (and probably beyond). He was furious when he discovered that he had been misinformed about this. I believe that the person who provided the figures (I know not who) had confused Network Rail's South Eastern route with the whole of the southern region.

Still the actual fact the whole Southern region (SE, GTR and SWT?) is bigger than one country is significant.

Groningen

Established Member
Combined East Sussex and Kent have 2,2 million people. Still for an area 1/7 of the Netherlands a lot of trains. And that area is totally flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.