• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compensation Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

D841

I've got 40-odd pounds worth of vouchers as a result of a TOC not performing to the timetable.

Can I use them as payment or part-payment for a ticket on an open access operator like Grand Central?

Ta for any expert advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Bear in mind you can't get any change from them though.

ashworth

Established Member
I think I once heard that these vouchers are only useable at a station booking office and cannot be used to pay for journeys from the staff on the train.
I may have got this wrong but my local station is unstaffed and I was once told that I couldn't use them to pay on the train.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think I once heard that these vouchers are only useable at a station booking office and cannot be used to pay for journeys from the staff on the train.
I may have got this wrong but my local station is unstaffed and I was once told that I couldn't use them to pay on the train.

Yup, as the codey thing needs to be validated or whatever they do to it.

TEW

Established Member
I have been told before that you could use them on the train, I am not sure though I would check.

metrocammel

In the 'olden days', when APTIS and SPORTIS machines were around, it was done manually, and the payment button on the machine was for 'Warrant'. I don't ever recall the ticket seller entering the RTVs code into the machine- it was simply cancelled by a station stamp.

These days, with the likes of FasTIS, the clerk enters the RTVs code to validate it. I am not certain an AVANTIX machine (the guards on train ticket machine) requests the voucher code though, as I could of sworn I've seen people use vouchers to buy tickets on trains. I can't think of an example where I've bought a ticket on an AVANTIX with an RTV though - so I stand to be corrected! (Yorkie may remember if I actually used one when I bought a ticket on GC last year!?)

not in my experience, and you have to give your name as well.

Yes, but 'giving' your name means writing it in the space provided on the reverse of the voucher, along with From / To station, and the number of the issued ticket- they obviously don't expect people to buy rangers of rovers with them though, as what do you put in the from & to box if buying a rover!? 'From Coast & Peaks, To Coast & Peaks'??

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was told that you could use the vouchers on the train, upon asking at Hull. After all, how else could you use them if boarding at an unstaffed station?

glynn80

Established Member
They are valid for redemption on train. The FRPP states nowhere that they are not valid for redemption on board.

On-train payments

Payment for tickets and excess fares obtained on-train, regardless of the circumstances, may be made in the normal way by the approved methods of payment listed in this section. [OF WHICH RTV's WERE ONE OF THE METHODS]

The only thing that cannot be done on train is warrants with railcard discounts

D841

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'll put them towards a trip either on GC or WSM, and buy the ticket at the departure station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
! (Yorkie may remember if I actually used one when I bought a ticket on GC last year!?)
The member of staff in question had not had training at that time, so either you showed him how to do it or you didn't use it. IIRC he also hadn't had training in excesses either and you showed him how to do that. I don't think you used the voucher in the end.

Ben

The member of staff in question had not had training at that time, so either you showed him how to do it or you didn't use it. IIRC he also hadn't had training in excesses either and you showed him how to do that. I don't think you used the voucher in the end.

Had he been trained in anything ? :|

metrocammel

Had he been trained in anything ? :|

Other than selling very simple tickets, I would assume not! I remember the situation now. I had a ticket on that train, but a tight connection in London, so I asked if I could excess a separate ticket on the train. I also thought I'd rather give GC any token commission, rather than NXEC. He agreed to attempt the XS, but then said he couldn't do it, as he couldn't find how to get a Y-P fare on his Avantix(!) In the end, he eventually found that it had been changed to 16-25 Railcard (quite a bit before the official change, iirc). Then when I said 'oh can I pay with a rail voucher', he was withered, and basically said 'what's one of those, i doubt you can pay with it!?'. In the end I used my card. I bet he thought I was some sort of mystery shopper! ;) - (which I'm not, btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.