• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competencies for Trainee Train Driver (TFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsofficial

Hi all,

I've created a new thread on this as i couldn't find any on the forum.
I have a Trainee Train driver interview with TFL at the end of the month.
I passed the assessment and am in need of help with the interview.

IT IS A COMPETENCY BASED INTERVIEW ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS

Customer Service Orientation
Results Focus
Safety Awareness

I would much appreciate if i can get some information on what questions would be asked, interview tips or maybe a few example of answers.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Who is your interview with? TfL don’t employ train drivers; is this an interview with London Underground for a Train Operator [I know the competencies you have listed are used by LUL], or is it an interview for a train driver post with Arriva Rail London (trading as London Overground) / MTR Elizabeth Line (trading as TfL Rail)?

redsofficial

Who is your interview with? TfL don’t employ train drivers; is this an interview with London Underground for a Train Operator [I know the competencies you have listed are used by LUL], or is it an interview for a train driver post with Arriva Rail London (trading as London Overground) / MTR Elizabeth Line (trading as TfL Rail)?
Its an interview with TFL for trainee train operator London underground

oz220

Firstly, if you are not already aware, research the STAR method when facing a competency based interview. They will expect you to use this format and hear about what YOU have done in the past. If your answers are vague or missing information they will ask further probing questions to get the information they need.

Look at the competencies they have sent you and think about each one individually and come up with a few different examples of how you have previously dealt with certain situations that will show these competencies. Don’t lie, make up stuff or tell them what other people did.

Once you have a few examples of each one ensure you are fully familiar with the situations you will be describing and using the STAR method practise how you’d like to come across in interview. I say a few examples for each competency because one situation may fit better to their answer than another situation showing the same competency.

I can’t tell you exactly what questions they’ll ask. And even if I could I wouldn’t tell you. But they will ask questions like; tell me a time you have dealt with a difficult customer OR describe a time when you have needed to complete a task and what you did and how you achieved the result.

Good luck with the interview.

LCC106

Established Member
I can’t tell you exactly what questions they’ll ask. And even if I could I wouldn’t tell you.

So glad to see this. It’s not fair on other candidates who may not have found the forum. The interviewer wants to know that you can think on your feet too rather than give a manufactured answer.

Good advice on the Star technique - Situation, Task, your Action and the Result. Good luck redsofficial.

seano

Hi all,

I've created a new thread on this as i couldn't find any on the forum.
I have a Trainee Train driver interview with TFL at the end of the month.
I passed the assessment and am in need of help with the interview.

IT IS A COMPETENCY BASED INTERVIEW ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS

Customer Service Orientation
Results Focus
Safety Awareness

I would much appreciate if i can get some information on what questions would be asked, interview tips or maybe a few example of answers.

Thanks in advance
Hi redsofficial, I was wondering when did you do the AC1 assessment? I did the AC1 on 3rd march and still havn't heard anything back.

Status
Not open for further replies.