• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 248 :: Voting

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 9 37.5%

Votes: 5 20.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 20.8%

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
What exactly is working in multiple anyway? And how can I tell?:???:

Two (or more) locos or units providing traction from one driver, so the second/third etc loco/unit is being driven remotely and not crewed.

You can't physically tell from a photo but Numbers 1, 4 and 8 are definitely NOT in multiple.

minette

Two (or more) locos or units providing traction from one driver, so the second/third etc loco/unit is being driven remotely and not crewed.

You can't physically tell from a photo but Numbers 1, 4 and 8 are definitely NOT in multiple.

So how is anyone supposed to know if the locos/units are in multiple or not?

mumrar

Established Member
Whilst not bothered about my own entry specifically, I predict a riot! Without a shot of the jumpers connected, how do you prove multiple working? I'm guessing mine was chucked out for this reason (I may yet be corrected though).

The last entry troubles me, because I know of no operator with through-wired mk1s enabling the Deltic and 40 to be in multiple. Like I say, due to the very specific subject nature we have firstly got very few entries, more arguments, and in sime cases a very poor quality of shot. That's not to say that there are still a few good shots visually, but these are dominated by the multiped units or DRS stuff. Guess I should shoot more nuclear traffic then.

On a completely different note, it was remarkable when searching, just how many shots I could find of multiple workings of the same classes, but never different classes in my own collections.

TEW

Established Member
For me there is only one winner regardless of whether the locos are in Multiple or not and that is Number 2 which is defiantly in multiple.

Phoenix

Established Member
Although this theme has been broken by a few a actually don't mind as it was quite specific and on the mainline is quite hard to find seen as though we
1.Dont have many workings which require different traction in multi.
2.Have many of the locos which fill various gaps such as 58's,25's and ect.

so I just went for the clear best and voted for 2 as you know it is multi and it is quite a well taken shots.

Kudos for all who have tried though.

Established Member
Although this theme has been broken by a few a actually don't mind as it was quite specific and on the mainline is quite hard to find seen as though we
1.Dont have many workings which require different traction in multi.
2.Have many of the locos which fill various gaps such as 58's,25's and ect.

I really tried to find something with locos, but apart from DRS 20/37 combos it was a real struggle. I did have a 27+26+26 combo from Bo'ness which were all in multi (I think, it sounded like it) but the phot didn't really show all 3 engines. The only other mixed multi I've had recently was 25035+27056 t'other year at GCR but as it only worked at night my phots are poor.

Lots and lots of preserved combinations but apart from the above nearly all in tandem and not multi :(

Phoenix

Established Member
I really tried to find something with locos, but apart from DRS 20/37 combos it was a real struggle. I did have a 27+26+26 combo from Bo'ness which were all in multi (I think, it sounded like it) but the phot didn't really show all 3 engines. The only other mixed multi I've had recently was 25035+27056 t'other year at GCR but as it only worked at night my phots are poor.

Lots and lots of preserved combinations but apart from the above nearly all in tandem and not multi :(

I agree it is hard because with competitions it is always best having a few example to choose from and apart from units I can honestly say I have never seen a mixed multi.

minette

No answer to the original question then - so I went to Wikipedia which not only gave me an explanation I could understand, it also told me which locos could work together in multiple (colour codes provided). A 47 and a 24 cannot work in multiple, but a 37 and a 24 can. Top and tail is a different thing altogether. I would be interested to know why 87015 claims that picture 4 is not in multiple, when these locos can actually work together.

Phoenix

Established Member
No answer to the original question then - so I went to Wikipedia which not only gave me an explanation I could understand, it also told me which locos could work together in multiple (colour codes provided). A 47 and a 24 cannot work in multiple, but a 37 and a 24 can. Top and tail is a different thing altogether. I would be interested to know why 87015 claims that picture 4 is not in multiple, when these locos can actually work together.

See there is that work and that is can so It doesn't mean they are.
Plus he could have been at the event as it was a GWR diesel gala and a recent one at that.

minette

See there is that work and that is can so It doesn't mean they are.
Plus he could have been at the event as it was a GWR diesel gala and a recent one at that.

Could someone translate please? First sentence I can't follow at all; second sentence is referring to which photo? Maybe it's my age...:-?

Phoenix

Established Member
Could someone translate please? First sentence I can't follow at all; second sentence is referring to which photo? Maybe it's my age...:-?

No it's me im quite ill at the moment sorry.
So what i ment is he said it might not be the case they were in multiple cause he could have seen that working and known it wasnt in multi.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to 87015

thumb_230205_170n158.JPG

01 - curly42
02 - 87015
03 - CraigS
04 - minette
05 - Reini
06 - LittleRedTrain
07 - Craig
08 - LaSeandre