• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition To Name Bull At Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

It is quite an impressive bit of kit. If they could get it to occasionally snort out a bit of dry ice and move its yed per the ceremonies, it'd be quite the attraction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Egg Centric

Out of those four it's so obvious that Bostin is the sensible choice it feels rigged. Although if anyone is allowed to vote there's a very good chance it'll end up being Ozzy, especially if he happens to die during the vote

AntoniC

After the publication of the Privileges Committe investigation into Boris Johnson why not call it Boris as
1) He talks bullocks
2) Like Boris has a hide of metal
3) It will be a lasting *tribute* to him

Dave W

In which case Bostin is not a suitable name, because Birmingham is not in the Black Country, they are two separate entities.

Then it'll act as a good reminder that those looking upon it are in an inferior place and should take a train over to the promised land immediately ;)

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Out of those four it's so obvious that Bostin is the sensible choice it feels rigged. Although if anyone is allowed to vote there's a very good chance it'll end up being Ozzy, especially if he happens to die during the vote
You can vote here:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Being a Midlander I’ve voted for Bostin
Showing my age here. Despite having been born and brought up in Birmingham and then commuting to Wolverhampton over four years (and having many canal and railway related interests in the Black Country back then) I don't recall ever having heard of the term "bostin" until I saw this thread!

Moved away and all around GB long ago and not really been properly back since.

Mordac

Established Member
Bostin is definitely Yam Yam, not Brummie, and the only time I've ever seen it is when I go to see my mate in Smethwick and the signs on crossing to Sandwell Borough have the slogan "Boston Place, Bostin People"

Howardh

Established Member
"Warwick".
Yes, I've a bee in my bonnet about the county team (Warwickshire) being called "Birmingham" so let's turn the tables and call the bull "Warwick".

duncanp

Established Member
The name has been announced as Ozzy, according to BBC Breakfast.

Birmingham Commonwealth Games bull named after Ozzy Osbourne​

A huge mechanical bull which stole the show at the 2022 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony has been named after Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne.
The naming of the 33ft (10m) tall sculpture came after a public vote and was revealed on BBC Breakfast earlier.
Ozzy the bull will soon move to his new permanent home at Birmingham New Street railway station.
"I'm absolutely blown away," said the rock legend, who played at the Birmingham games' closing ceremony.
"Thank you for all your votes. And Birmingham forever," he told the BBC.
The sculpture was due to be dismantled at the end of the games, but won a reprieve after a public outcry.
It will be housed under the atrium of the station after a petition to save it attracted almost 10,000 signatures.

Tens of thousands of people crammed into Birmingham's Centenary Square to see it at its temporary home during and after the games, instantly becoming one of the city's most popular attractions.
More than 28,000 votes were cast to name the sculpture, previously known informally as Raging Bull.
The other shortlisted names in contention were Bostin, a well-used Midlands phrase meaning excellent; Brummie, describing people who come from Birmingham; and Boulton, after pioneering 18th Century industrialist Matthew Boulton.
Ozzy attracted more than 70% of the votes, said Network Rail.

West Midlands mayor Andy Street said the public "couldn't have made a clearer choice".
"Like people right across our region, I cannot wait to see Ozzy take pride of place in New Street Station in a triumphant homecoming this summer - proudly bearing the name of the Prince of Darkness himself."

Network Rail chair Lord Peter Hendy said "it truly shows how much affection people have for this star of the Commonwealth Games".
"I can't wait for it to be unveiled on the station concourse in time for the first anniversary of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games."
Creators of the bull Artem said the sculpture would be fitted through the doors of the station "as part of a giant jigsaw puzzle".
"It's quite emotional for us that people in Birmingham wanted the bull become a permanent fixture," said chief executive Mike Kelt.

Last edited:

PsychoMouse

Sounds like a fix! Everyone I know who voted went for Bostin’.

Thankfully Bostin' didn't win so we don't have to be associated with the great unwashed from the wrong side of the M5.

Was funny to see all these so called proud Black Country celebs doing everything they could to associate themselves with Brum as much as possible on TV for the Commonwealth Games coverage.

Should just rename the West Mids to Greater Birmingham and be done with it, you know it makes sense.

P Binnersley

Its all a bit pointless. Brummies' never use the official name for anything.

Who has heard of "The River" (Floozie in the Jacuzzi) or "Gravelly Hill Interchange" (Spaghetti Junction).

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a fix! Everyone I know who voted went for Bostin’.
Bostin got my vote too. Perhaps it is us whom are out of touch...

Breakdown as follows:
  1. 19762 - Ozzy
  2. 3853 Brummie
  3. 2902 Bostin
  4. 1789 Boulton
We shouldn't have been so democratic and limited valid votes only to people with a link to the city! :lol:

vic-rijrode

Bostin got my vote too. Perhaps it is us whom are out of touch...

Breakdown as follows:
  1. 19762 - Ozzy
  2. 3853 Brummie
  3. 2902 Bostin
  4. 1789 Boulton
We shouldn't have been so democratic and limited valid votes only to people with a link to the city! :lol:
I'm amazed that Boulton got the number of votes that he got!

Status
Not open for further replies.