• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Completely underground stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
The older Bakerloo/Northern line ticket hall is actually also at street level with York Road/Leake Street, it's just well disguised because Cab Road in front of the station is elevated, and the main concourse at Waterloo is further elevated, on what you might consider the first floor as the whole station is on arches. Once the International side has been fully redeveloped, there will be ground level entrances that allow you to walk in to the underground station it on the flat, as you can see here. There is another Waterloo tube entrance across the road at the bottom of one of the Shell Centre towers, which is also on surface level, and will be reopening soon.
wat1.jpg wat2.jpg wat3.jpg
Here are the three official LU diagrams that I have found of Waterloo, if they are of any help.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-tuvw/
EDIT: I forgot about the NR station being raised up. So I suppose that yes, the Bakerloo/Northern ticket hall would be at ground level. I didn't know that the concourse was that high up though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jack Barry

View attachment 58429 View attachment 58430 View attachment 58431
Here are the three official LU diagrams that I have found of Waterloo, if they are of any help.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-tuvw/
EDIT: I forgot about the NR station being raised up. So I suppose that yes, the Bakerloo/Northern ticket hall would be at ground level. I didn't know that the concourse was that high up though!
I have been thinking about it and I remember coming out of the lifts at Waterloo many years ago and the walkway to York Road was slopped, Shell booking hal yes onto the street.

ijmad

Established Member
I forgot about the NR station being raised up. So I suppose that yes, the Bakerloo/Northern ticket hall would be at ground level. I didn't know that the concourse was that high up though!

Indeed - compare in your mind the height of the two escalators down from the Eastern end of the concourse to the Waterloo Road entrance with the escalators down to the LU ticket hall. They feel about the same height to me, it's quite a way down - but further confirmation of my claim! It's an interesting edge case, but whether you'd count this as a ground building or not I don't know, hidden as it is under the arches. I'd probably count it.

The Shell Building entrance is certainly a ground level building though, in the same vein as the Walbrook entrance to Bank!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The older Bakerloo/Northern line ticket hall is actually also at street level with York Road/Leake Street, it's just well disguised because Cab Road in front of the station is elevated, and the main concourse at Waterloo is further elevated, on what you might consider the first floor as the whole station is on arches. Once the International side has been fully redeveloped, there will be ground level entrances that allow you to walk in to the underground station it on the flat, as you can see here. There is another Waterloo tube entrance across the road at the bottom of one of the Shell Centre towers, which is also on surface level, and will be reopening soon.
I think this is what I had explained on 24th December?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think that Waterloo definitely is. I couldn't say about Bond Street, though.
However, if you wanted to be pedantic, Waterloo does have a station building ABOVE ground; it's on the station concourse of the National Rail station, but everything else is underground - no sub-surface lines or anything like that.
You should have read on for further replies, as ijmad has also just pointed out the original Bakerloo/Northern ticket hall is at ground level.

Taunton

Established Member
Gants Hill is presumably an example as the only surface aspects are entrances to a public subway system which is not closed when the Underground is closed, and the Underground is entered at low level off those passages. Does Redbridge council not own/maintain the passages there?

321over360

Gants Hill is presumably an example as the only surface aspects are entrances to a public subway system which is not closed when the Underground is closed, and the Underground is entered at low level off those passages. Does Redbridge council not own/maintain the passages there?
I think it is a grey area in respect of the Gants Hill subways as they were built when the Central Line extended to Newbury Park during the New Works Programme (before interrupted by WW2 when the entire unopened Tube Line from Leytonstone - Newbury Park became a munitions factory) but i believe the upkeep is TFLs responsibility and not LB Redbridge as it isnt Council property and belongs solely to LRT/LPTB/LT/TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.