• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor at Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBWFC78

Hi everyone,

First post here, hopefully of many, so please be gentle!

I applied for a Conductor role at the start of last year, didn't hear anything for quite a while, then out of the blue last September, I got invited for an interview then an assessment, which I passed. Was put in the talent pool, was told there was a course starting in November, which I was not selected for, then told there was another starting in February. So, having not heard anything, I naturally assumed that I wouldn't be selected for this one as well.

Anyway, I received a phone call yesterday offering me a position on the course, subject to a medical and references beginning on the 25th February (which is obviously just over a week away) which obviously I'm delighted about, though I would have appreciated a little more notice :lol: however I did state on my application that I would be available for a short notice start. I asked the lady if it was ok to have a think over the weekend and have an answer for them on Monday morning whether or not I wanted the position.

So I'm on here asking for peoples' opinions on the job, the pros and cons. Obviously I've looked into this before and have spoken to people, but I wanted to ask as many people as possible before I say yes. I am currently self employed as a driving instructor. When I am busy, which I currently am, I could earn more than I would be as a conductor, but it's the quiet times (and there have been many recently) which can sometimes give me sleepless nights. What attracted me to the Conductor job was the relative job security, having a decent, regular salary and being able to meet and talk to different people, which I'm really good at. It would be nice to be able to know when I am working week by week, unlike now when I get my diary in order, then someone cancels on me, which sometimes leads to me working my day off. I get no holiday pay, it is rare for me to have more than one complete day off a fortnight and I am often working early morning to late night (which I know I would still be working unsociable hours as a conductor)

Anyway, anybody with experience of the job who has any opinions, good and bad of the job would be really helpful. I know most people would jump at this job offer, and my heart tells me that I should too, but I just want to be more certain before I go ahead.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi Rob,

I started as a conductor for Northern last year after 11 years in the emergency services.
Most think I'm bonkers when I say I left the services for the railway but I really enjoy it.
I aspire to be a driver and I think being a guard is a good stepping stone to that as it gives you a solid grounding into the railway and the ups and downs.

The shifts are a bit of a mare. I used to work 12 hour days and nights which I got used to.
Northerns shifts can start at 0400 and like me tonight are finishing sometimes around the 2 am mark.

The money as you say is reasonable. Don't forget you get commission on ticket sales.
The holiday pay is good.
You get a set rest day pattern so could still fit some driving instructing in (Picc guards get a solid 5/6 day break every 3 weeks!!)

The people are generally good. The customers are sometimes a pain in the arse but if your good with people this helps.

The job seems one of the more secure ones on the market at the moment.

All in all it's a secure well paid job with good perks. If you can afford the drop in pay I'd say give it a go. I'm sure you could get back into driving instructing if you didn't like it?

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Hi Rob,

I started as a conductor for Northern last year after 11 years in the emergency services.
Most think I'm bonkers when I say I left the services for the railway but I really enjoy it.
I aspire to be a driver and I think being a guard is a good stepping stone to that as it gives you a solid grounding into the railway and the ups and downs.

The shifts are a bit of a mare. I used to work 12 hour days and nights which I got used to.
Northerns shifts can start at 0400 and like me tonight are finishing sometimes around the 2 am mark.

The money as you say is reasonable. Don't forget you get commission on ticket sales.
The holiday pay is good.
You get a set rest day pattern so could still fit some driving instructing in (Picc guards get a solid 5/6 day break every 3 weeks!!)

The people are generally good. The customers are sometimes a pain in the arse but if your good with people this helps.

The job seems one of the more secure ones on the market at the moment.

All in all it's a secure well paid job with good perks. If you can afford the drop in pay I'd say give it a go. I'm sure you could get back into driving instructing if you didn't like it?

Yes you are bonkers 156 but you do know your stuff lol, the avg guard can do around 30k a year with overtime commision etc so its worth it. Follow the rules and you shouldn't go wrong

Bubba

I cant give any advice on the role of being a conductor, only on going from self-employed to employed by others.

Do it!

If you own your own business and employ others so that things dont grind to a halt when you take time out then it isnt too bad. But when working on your own, you will know yourself how expensive it is taking time out. Overheads are still there even if you are not earning.

Until August last year I had been self employed for nearly 3 years owning a franchise. I loved the actual job, but taking just a week off was an absolute nightmare. A company I had previous worked for made me a job offer out of the blue and it didnt take much deliberating to decide to accept. It probably is less money before you take into account being paid for time off, etc.

You obviously wanted at one point to be a conductor. Accept their offer and say goodbye to the headache of being self employed and worrying about where the next pupil will come from.

TheEdge

Established Member
Take it.

I've been working as a conductor (well trainee) for only a few months and it is an amazing job.

Yes the hours are hideous, our hours are fairly similar to those mentioned above but if you enjoy the job then rising at 0400 is really rather easy (never thought I would say that but its true!)

Actually I can't really add anything to what 156411 has said!

youngboy

Also self employed, don' know what age you are mate (pension) but I would say go for it.

I lost eight weeks work last year having an operation, it's took from July last year to now to catch up with my bills and account's.

Then you also have the economy which is not going to get any better, I'm losing work hand over fist to already employed lads working on cash in hand jobs.

Think long term bud not short term imo !!

RobBWFC78

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm definitely leaning towards going for it. As has been mentioned before, I can always go back if I find out it's not for me.

The only thing that worries me is things would be very lean in the three months I'm training, but I have to think long term.

May dip into the old savings!

Thanks again :)

Dazza

I know what you mean!!
I'm currently a self employed tanker driver earning about £50k p.a and I've applied for a trainee driver position.
If I'm successful, I'll be on £18,700 for 12 months during training.
That'll be difficult but not impossible to swallow but the rewards will be there after qualifying.
Some people would no doubt think I was mad to change careers but I'd like to think that the railways were more secure than road transport.??
Regards.

Beveridges

Established Member
I'm currently a self employed tanker driver earning about £50k p.a and I've applied for a trainee driver position.
If I'm successful, I'll be on £18,700 for 12 months during training.
Well if you can take the wage drop in training you could easily be making £50k or more again when fully qualified with overtime.
The average Depot Driver is on about £50k at Newton Heath with overtime. Mainline Driving can potentially pay even higher in some TOCs.
Railways have generally had pay rises that are equal or above inflation which makes it good financially for the long term as well.
Thats the best thing about railway jobs, they pay a lot better than most jobs outside the industry ever since the recession.

Dazza

Thanks for your reply Beveridges. I was wondering if anyone would comment?
If I were to add that for £50k p.a, I travel 290 miles to work & stay in digs all week( start times are 04:00 or 16:00)& I also work weekends and bank holidays! It doesn't look like easy money now does it?
I agree with what you've said above, if I could earn the same working 5 miles away from home with final salary pension, 31 days holiday & free travel I'd be a mug to turn it down.
Also, with self employment, you never know if they're going to say "thanks mate, don't need you next week?"
Daz.

Beveridges

Established Member
If I were to add that for £50k p.a, I travel 290 miles to work & stay in digs all week( start times are 04:00 or 16:00)& I also work weekends and bank holidays! It doesn't look like easy money now does it?
Looks very tough and tiring, I'd definetely give Driving (or Depot Driving) a go, after the lower money while training, you can soon be back up to £50k, provided the overtime is there.

jadam35

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm definitely leaning towards going for it. As has been mentioned before, I can always go back if I find out it's not for me.

The only thing that worries me is things would be very lean in the three months I'm training, but I have to think long term.

May dip into the old savings!

Thanks again :)
I started on the course last November so have just gone on full pay. In training you get more than the stated training salary as you get travelling time from your home depot to the training acedemy. So instead of £17,800 I was averaging the equivalent of £19,800 at least. And my depot is pretty close compared to some of the others I was training with. I am now route learning but can do overtime so this helps. Most of the guards I work with are earning well over £30,000, and this is just doing the odd Sunday and restday. Plus if you have a weeks holiday you are still paid £500. Its the best choice I have made career wise. Good luck whatever your decision...

RobBWFC78

Well thanks everyone for all the help. You are now talking to a trainee conductor! Start on Monday. Couldn't be happier with my decision! :D

And @jadam35 is there any advice you can give me on what to expect on the course? Thanks very much!

SJN

Good luck Rob. I start a trainee conductor course on Monday too but with a different company. We have three days induction next week. Can't wait. Hope you enjoy it.

What depot you got Rob?

12 weeks of head battering is what to expect!

As far as the course is concerned. Week one is a lot of induction stuff and a first aid course.

Week 2 Personal track safety (PTS) practical exam done at Liverpool.

Then Out of course events and protection, Signalling, power door operation, traction training, depot week, ticket training. Final pass out. Your at Bolton for 10 weeks. (One of those is at your Home Depot.)
Plenty of days out to 'observe the railway'.
Half a week at Newton Heath traction training. (Also fire training which is fun!)

That's in a roundabout order and there will be more to cover!

Enjoy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and of you pay for any train tickets for travel to your course before your pass arrives keep hold of them as you'll get them refunded.

notadriver

Established Member
Looks very tough and tiring, I'd definetely give Driving (or Depot Driving) a go, after the lower money while training, you can soon be back up to £50k, provided the overtime is there.

I wouldn't bother with depot driving if you want to eventually become a main line driver. The reason being is that it offers very little advantage to someone 'off the street' or a conductors job. Depot drivers have to do a full drivers course.

Beveridges

Established Member
I wouldn't bother with depot driving if you want to eventually become a main line driver. The reason being is that it offers very little advantage to someone 'off the street' or a conductors job. Depot drivers have to do a full drivers course.

I would advise anyone to bother with depot driver because its a very good job, a contender for being the best job on the railway. If you want to use it as a stepping stone for mainline then don't bother. This is a completely seperate role, it is so much more than "stepping stone to a mainline position" but rather a decent alternative, and needs to be treated as such.

Last edited:

RobBWFC78

What depot you got Rob?

12 weeks of head battering is what to expect!

As far as the course is concerned. Week one is a lot of induction stuff and a first aid course.

Week 2 Personal track safety (PTS) practical exam done at Liverpool.

Then Out of course events and protection, Signalling, power door operation, traction training, depot week, ticket training. Final pass out. Your at Bolton for 10 weeks. (One of those is at your Home Depot.)
Plenty of days out to 'observe the railway'.
Half a week at Newton Heath traction training. (Also fire training which is fun!)

That's in a roundabout order and there will be more to cover!

Enjoy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and of you pay for any train tickets for travel to your course before your pass arrives keep hold of them as you'll get them refunded.

Wow. Thanks very much for that :D I'm really excited, but also very nervous as this is all completely new to me, just hope I have what it takes to learn! Should be fine though.

And I'm based at Victoria. I live in Bolton, so the training centre is only 10 minutes from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.