• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor or Train Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedispatcher

Hi, looking for some advice. I've spotted vacancies for Train Managers and Conductors at Bristol for GWR. I need to decide which one I should apply for or perhaps even both. Can anyone tell me the difference in pay? Fairly sure I understand routes and traction but again information would be fantastic.

My one concern is that my age (20) may count against me for a TM position as this is arguably more responsibility than the Conductor, working HSTS on Intercity routes.

Final issue is: I live 61 minutes from the depot but would most likely relocate, does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,

TD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
My one concern is that my age (20) may count against me for a TM position as this is arguably more responsibility than the Conductor, working HSTS on Intercity routes.
TD

Being a TM instead of a Conductor just means you normally have further to walk down the train, so being young will be an advantage for the TM role... ;)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Difference is a few grand - TM will be stiff competition as you will be up against guards internally going for the promotion - last 4 vacancies in the Bristol TM links have gone to Bristol and Westbury conductors.

Apply for both, but I would wager that if you were to dedicate yourself to one vacancy, it would be the West job, as you will be more likely to get that one off the street.

And before the high and mighty on this forum jump down my throat for saying the above, at Bristol, that is just the way it goes. It is seen as a promotion for "good" West guards to get on and become HSS TMs.

Same goes for Exeter and Penzance

Thedispatcher

Cheers for the advice, I'm a dispatcher at the moment but looking to make the next step. I did think I might struggle going for TM but with the Conductor position I'll probably have a better chance. Cheers

NX

Be aware that from May this year West Guards lose half their door operation duties when Turbo trains arrive - driver opens and closes, the latter on the signal of the guard (for now anyway).

People who apply for TM only, and who score well at interview are sometime soon offered a West job vice HSS as the latter has been allocated to a internal.

The very best depot is Exeter HSS, sign pretty much the whole GWR network south of Bristol and Swindon, Sleeper stock and HSTs.

As non west guard HSS TM at Bristol you'll be HST/IEP only, West Guards who come across sign both unit ands HSS traction.

Go for the job, get passed out, keep your nose clean and go driving is the best advise. We had to strike in 2015 to get the Turbo deal, so the company will want full DOO under the next franchise in Sept 2019.

Be aware the West is seen very much like the poor relation on GWR, TM who balls up do get "demoted" to units and there is no certainty to being "promoted" to TM - if you can go straight to TM do so.

You will also have to apply and go through the same process as an external to be promoted to TM from West Guard.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

paul1784

Apply for Train manager if that's what you want to do.

I'm an external and have just successfully gone through the recruitment process and been offered a train manager position at Bristol Temple Meads. I start 13th March. So it is possible!!!!

the sniper

Established Member
And before the high and mighty on this forum jump down my throat for saying the above, at Bristol, that is just the way it goes. It is seen as a promotion for "good" West guards to get on and become HSS TMs.

Well no doubt about that, the work is a hell of a lot better on the HSS side! :p

LowLevel

Established Member
I find it interesting that train manager is viewed as a promotion - just as a point of comparison I work at a depot where we have 'senior conductors' (I work anything from class 153s pottering around Lincolnshire to Liverpool - Norwich interregionals and everything between) and 'train managers' who work London services with a higher basic salary but far worse conditions - there are far more train managers at our place who have chosen to become senior conductors than the other way round :D

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I find it interesting that train manager is viewed as a promotion - just as a point of comparison I work at a depot where we have 'senior conductors' (I work anything from class 153s pottering around Lincolnshire to Liverpool - Norwich interregionals and everything between) and 'train managers' who work London services with a higher basic salary but far worse conditions - there are far more train managers at our place who have chosen to become senior conductors than the other way round :D

I believe GWR's unique in the respect that voluntary TM to unit transfers are quite rare. There are quite a few XC Senior Conductors (who work 170s) who are ex-TMs (220/HST), for very similar reasons, and in very similar circumstances, to those at your place. Chiltern have TMs at Banbury/Birmingham/Stourbridge and some Guard-trained TTIs (or words to that effect) at Aylesbury (who work the Bubble and the Ruislip-Paddington), don't know about progression between. Virgin West Coast/Serco/Eurostar are the only other places which have TMs, and for all of them that's their only guard grade.

Last edited:

wils180

I'd just apply for both, to begin with. I applied for Conductor (Fratton) and TM (Cardiff) in November time, after assessment centre they make you pick one to be interviewed for so just make your mind up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.