• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor punched at Blackpool South Wed 14 Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Without at all wishing to detract from the seriousness of the issue in the OP, what's the problems with using 'customers'? 'Customers' are someone on whom my business depends, with whom there is a contractual relationship, for whom there are expectations of being treated well. 'Passenger' is a passive term that conveys no such messages, any more than being a sack of potatoes.

People travelling are in plain simple English referred to as passengers. It makes me cringe when I hear "Customers" being used when announcing as I think it's use, although technically correct, does just not seem right and a tinkering with the English language. For example I noticed on a TOC Journey Check last week "Only one carriage available for customer use". In the process of being transported travellers (there's another alternative) are generally referred to as passengers.
Imagine two people waiting on a station platform for a train and a freight train train passes through, followed by a train conveying people. My friend says "Oh, a train of customers this time". In this, and in other contexts, the term can just sound stupid . There may be a case for the use of both but in the right context and at the right time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
Some people don't do simple things e.g. checking times of trains before arriving at the station, they must live in a fantasy world!

Antman

Established Member
We need a like button.

:lol:

Recently, reading our accidents and trips report, a train was about to leave. A punter, then jumped out of the train and knocked the conductor flying. The conclusion: We should have more announcements so that customers would have more time to prepare to leave the train. Real reason. the punter was a tit.

And a dislike button;)

Haven't we all been engrossed in our phone/newspaper or whatever and suddenly realised it was our stop and leapt out quick, hopefully without knocking the conductor flying!

Bodiddly

So what category did this guy come under? Customer, Passenger or Violent Criminal? I was led to believe this was a thread about an assault on a member of train crew, not a dissection of railway operations. We still do not have the facts about the situation in hand. In my personal view, If I turned up a very short time before a train was due to depart, at the very least, I would expect a mad rush to get on it.
Violence is not acceptable behaviour, ever. if this 'customer' is identified and brought to trial, he should have the book thrown at him.

hassaanhc

Established Member
We need a like button.

:lol:

Recently, reading our accidents and trips report, a train was about to leave. A punter, then jumped out of the train and knocked the conductor flying. The conclusion: We should have more announcements so that customers would have more time to prepare to leave the train. Real reason. the punter was a tit.

Once I saw someone almost do that when he ran through the closing local door at Clapham Junction (Reading 450) :| And may make guards more reluctant to use a passenger door to do their station duties, leading to the "guards are never seen in passenger areas" comments :(

PermitToTravel

Established Member
In what manner is giving one buzz "unsafe"? Though I expect procedure would be that once buzz-buzz has been given, a stop will not occur except in an emergency, however nice the passenger.

Neil
I meant the passenger. Banging on the side of a moving train is not safe.
I don't believe *any* traincrew plan to run early (some bus drivers definitely do, and the coming of GPS tracking to ensure they get kicked for doing so has really improved things).

London bus operators are financially penalised by TfL if a bus runs more than 2 minutes early, or more than 5 minutes late. As a result these are the thresholds at which controllers start bollocking drivers, and drivers have been heard saying to passengers absolute rubbish like "I'm entitled to be up to two minutes early" :roll:

wellwhatitis

On some occasions I might hold my local door open a bit longer for a 'runner'. But if they fail to respond to me shouting 'here' and stand at another closed door, then , sorry, but no. (and you would be amazed how many folks do this). And I'm gone.

I never cease to be amazed by the amount of muppets that I do this for who then go to the nearest now locked door and stand there pressing furiously at it. It makes you wonder why you bother sometimes, and I am generally the sort to bother.

Class377

Without at all wishing to detract from the seriousness of the issue in the OP, what's the problems with using 'customers'? 'Customers' are someone on whom my business depends, with whom there is a contractual relationship, for whom there are expectations of being treated well. 'Passenger' is a passive term that conveys no such messages, any more than being a sack of potatoes.

I have no problem with using "customers", I was having a joke about how certain people insist on being called passengers. Hence the smilie. I guess some people don't understand sarcasm on the internet

BelleIsle

Didn't Blackpool South used to have two platforms.

Platform 2 would have been taken out of commission sometime after 1980 when the line was 'optimised'. Up until 1964 there was four platforms and a more direct route to Kirkham.

As a previous poster has stated, both Waterloo Road and Lytham Road are covered with CCTV. Add in the car park and Aldi and coverage is pretty good.

Apart from Sundays when some trains short work to Preston, the tight turnaround on the branch means early is unusual.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And a dislike button;)

Haven't we all been engrossed in our phone/newspaper or whatever and suddenly realised it was our stop and leapt out quick, hopefully without knocking the conductor flying!

Quite.

A simple "sorry, are you OK?" from the errant passenger should have done there. I guess if he wasn't OK it would have needed to be reported, of course, as there are procedures around such things, but that isn't even close to being an assault in the deliberate sense any more than if you accidentally walk into someone in the street.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant the passenger. Banging on the side of a moving train is not safe.

True.

London bus operators are financially penalised by TfL if a bus runs more than 2 minutes early, or more than 5 minutes late. As a result these are the thresholds at which controllers start bollocking drivers, and drivers have been heard saying to passengers absolute rubbish like "I'm entitled to be up to two minutes early" :roll:

If you hear that, report it. But I wouldn't expect that from railway staff, who tend to be more professional than bus drivers, particularly some London bus drivers who have been around for a while, who still see their responsibility as just driving the bus, as the conductor used to deal with things like passenger service and punctuality.

Early running ("ragging it around so you get a longer break at the end", for want of a better phrase) is endemic in bus operations, and it's taken GPS tracking to make it a lot less common. There was a particular slackly-timed[1] cross-town evening route in Milton Keynes that often used to leave the centre 10-15 minutes early. Each time I saw it, I reported it, but it only stopped when GPS tracking came in - and it stopped that day and never restarted.

There was also, on another route, a lot of cutting-out of estates and going up the main road, which again was reported every time I saw it, but again it took GPS (and the route being changed to make the diversions make less sense) to stop it.

I have never heard of a member of railway staff cutting a stop out because they couldn't be bothered stopping there. The two industries have a totally different level of professionalism.

Which is why it surprises me any member of rail staff considers early running acceptable!

[1] For good reason, namely to ensure a consistent hourly departure time throughout the hours of operation in this case. But to end up that early he was clearly leaving the start point early as well so he could get home early rather than sitting at the start for 10 minutes first for his timetabled layover/break.

Neil

Last edited:

ilkestonian

I can't believe that in seven pages of comment on an unprovoked attack on a guard merely going about his business, probably less than one page of replies focuses on the key issue.

Six pages of squabbling about the possibility that the train run early and a side order of whether trains carry passengers or customers.

Clearly not many pro rail posters on this forum.

:roll:

asylumxl

Established Member
I hope the guard is alright.

Can't say that banging on the train is the most unsafe thing I've seen. A few years back I was on an HST heading to the West Country, departing Paddington. The platform staff could be heard shouting "Stand clear! The train has left!". The bugger jumped on the door step and was holding on to the droplight!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't believe that in seven pages of comment on an unprovoked attack on a guard merely going about his business, probably less than one page of replies focuses on the key issue.

Six pages of squabbling about the possibility that the train run early and a side order of whether trains carry passengers or customers.

Quite the opposite.

It is very clear that assaulting rail staff, or indeed anyone else, is completely unacceptable, and that everyone hopes the member of staff is OK, and that the errant passenger is caught and prosecuted. So I don't think there is really anything to debate on that matter. So few have posted regarding that bit of the issue.

Neil

PermitToTravel

Established Member

:roll:

:roll: to you too. I don't think a single person has suggested that the guard deserved it. Like pretty much every thread on this forum (and pretty much every forum) things are being discussed which aren't quite what's in the title

Flamingo

Established Member
I hope the guard is alright.

Can't say that banging on the train is the most unsafe thing I've seen. A few years back I was on an HST heading to the West Country, departing Paddington. The platform staff could be heard shouting "Stand clear! The train has left!". The bugger jumped on the door step and was holding on to the droplight!

I think I remember that. The outcome (if it was the same incident) was an expensive chat with BTP and a trip to Victoria (coach) station to complete their journey...

asylumxl

Established Member
I think I remember that. The outcome (if it was the same incident) was an expensive chat with BTP and a trip to Victoria (coach) station to complete their journey...

While I was on-board the train, I could see out the window somewhat and believe I saw a member of platform staff pull him off the train (who was a short but stocky Asian fellow).

If the chap in the original post was a commuter then he is very stupid. Commuters are often regulars and should be easy to recognise. Presumably he has found an alternative way to get to work each day since. I hope we hear soon that they have the person and the law will deal with them appropriately.

Class377

If the chap in the original post was a commuter then he is very stupid. Commuters are often regulars and should be easy to recognise. Presumably he has found an alternative way to get to work each day since. I hope we hear soon that they have the person and the law will deal with them appropriately.

People who commute generally go to work, I didn't realise they worked up in Blackpool :lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
People who commute generally go to work, I didn't realise they worked up in Blackpool :lol:

Yes no-one works there. When the MPs arrive in Blackpool for party conferences they arrive at an unmanned stations and have to erect tents on the beach as no-one works in the hotels. If Boris fancies climbing Blackpool tower he has to climb it from the outside as no-one works in the ticket office and the trams are completely automated as no-one works as a tram driver. :lol:

Sheepy1209

Class377 - if you're so clever surely you'd be able to work out that a commuter boarding a train at Blackpool South doesn't actually work in Blackpool?

I'm sick and tired of cheap jibes at a town which is actually a pretty good place to live - there are plenty of far worse places.

Class377

Class377 - if you're so clever surely you'd be able to work out that a commuter boarding a train at Blackpool South doesn't actually work in Blackpool?

I'm sick and tired of cheap jibes at a town which is actually a pretty good place to live - there are plenty of far worse places.

Can nobody take jokes on this forum?

fowler9

Established Member
Can nobody take jokes on this forum?

No. Next! :D

My mate from Blackpool works for HMRC so he doesn't really work, not sure what everyone else does. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

You want to try being a scouser! :D

hidden

A person has been arrested and bailed for this according to BTP Lancs twitter.

Gathursty

Established Member

What if he commutes to Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Squires Gate? <D

TimG

That wait on a cold platform is never good :D

I've just seen two passengers, the train is going off the opposite platform at 15.15, the station clock both passengers are looking at says 15.13:50, one is starting to run for the steps and the other says "Don't worry, we have two minutes yet, it doesn't go until 15.15"!

I say to both of them, "You have thirty seconds before the doors are locked". They looked at me as if I'm lying. I have no idea how it ended, but the train was late leaving...

This shows that railway practice is counter intuitive and hence "wrong". Why not just show departure times as 30 seconds to 1 minute earlier than the point the train is due to start moving?

Flamingo

Established Member
This shows that railway practice is counter intuitive and hence "wrong". Why not just show departure times as 30 seconds to 1 minute earlier than the point the train is due to start moving?

Dear God, don't start that old chestnut again! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.