• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confirmation of Times + Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaky

Hi Guys.

I just wondered if some of you ticket guru's could confirm a trip that my Mam is going to be making please ?

She has a Senior Railcard and is travelling out from Gilberdyke to Reading, departing 09:50 on 5/12/14, one change at Doncaster.

Returning Reading to Gilberdyke, departing 09:40 on 13/12/14, again one change at Doncaster.

Fare comes to £71.55 (we aren't going to bother with separate single tickets thanks).

The only problem I have is that info is from The Trainline but when I started looking elsewhere, those trains appeared to disappear from the options ! I don't want to book a journey for my 80 yr. old mother, only to find that it doesn't exist.

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They exist but webtis (the booking engine used on East Coast, First Great Western and a number of other sites) is not showing them as it's faster to go via London and most booking engines default to showing the fastest journey rather than the one with fewest changes.

Either using the select route option (which has an option to avoid London) or putting in a via point like Birmingham New Street should show them on any booking engine. Also I'd avoid the Trainline it's nearly always more expensive as they charge booking fees. You'd be better using a train company website (why not CrossCountry as they're who you're mum would be travelling with for most of her journey).

Shaky

Thanks for the reply Ainsworth, much appreciated. However.......Just had a text from my sister (that's where my Mam is going) and I got the dates completely wrong :oops:

She's going out on 4th December (after 9am if poss) and returns on 9th December (again departing after 9am if poss) so I'll have to see if the one change options are still available.

She's not your usual 80 year old (fit as a lop to be honest :D) but doesn't like to change trains too often and seeing as she knows Doncaster Station well, this is why I'm trying to stick to those trains before I book.

Again, thanks very much for the help.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd be staggered if it wasn't as there isn't a timetable change until just after your Mum comes back so everything you've looked up up for the wrong dates should still be valid (as long as there isn't any engineering works).

Shaky

Thanks very much peeps. Just checked myself and they are indeed as you say. Thanks for the heads-up re: using a TOC site as well. I can book them through East Midlands trains with no Booking Fees and seeing as they are on Quidco, I can get another couple of quid off.

Thanks again.

mikeg

Established Member
For reference, this ticket does not need to be bought in advance, it can be bought on the day in case your travel plans change.

I assume you're looking at the off peak return 'not via London'.

FYI I can't get split ticketing to help get the fare down either, at least not with one split.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd not book the tickets until closer to travel, just in case plans change. Ensure you leave time for postage though if buying online, as there's no collection facilities at Gilberdyke. The price will not change - as mikeg says this is a walk-up fare. I don't know if EMT charge for postage - East Coast would not for this journey. However the Crosscountry trains are frequently very busy so a seat reservation is strongly advised.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
EMT and XC will both charge for postage. East Coast won't for this journey and neither do Southern.

Shaky

Thanks again guys for all the replies and advice. It's much appreciated. :)

However, having taken the booking process right through to the final payment page, there was no mention of having to pay for postage on EMT's site at all :|

Unless you were referring to getting the tickets sent by Special Delivery, which is an extra £6 ?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
EMT have always charged for postage IME. That said, they may operate a concession similar to East Coast's where if the origin has no ticket collection you can have it posted for free. If they do this then it is not clear as no one has mentioned this policy before.

But if they don't charge you then feel free to go ahead.

Shaky

EMT have always charged for postage IME. That said, they may operate a concession similar to East Coast's where if the origin has no ticket collection you can have it posted for free. If they do this then it is not clear as no one has mentioned this policy before.

But if they don't charge you then feel free to go ahead.

I have seen that mentioned before somewhere and I reckon you are right because Gilberdyke doesn't have any ticket facilities whatsoever. I know there's a self service mach. at Goole but I can't see the point of Mam getting the bus to Goole when she lives 3 mins walk away from the station. She comes through to us in Hull two or three times a week by train, so she knows the score.

Thanks again and to everybody that's offered help.

Status
Not open for further replies.