• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conflicting information between platform and train - which one to trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Similarly, I had encountered a case where the platform says Moorgate while the train says Circle Line via Liverpool Street. As soon as it closed the door on departure at Farringdon it was changed to Hammersmith & City Line terminating at Moorgate which caused me to run off the train at the next station.
On S Stock in CBTC areas the change of destination is set by Hammersmith SCC, this will show on the platform displays immediately. It would need to be acknowledged by the driver on the TCMS for it to be displayed on the train. So in your instance, the platform display was correct and the driver acknowledged as the train departed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
I had this a few weeks ago. I’d been to a concert at the Royal Festival Hall and had work at 6am following morning. Straight back into Waterloo, look at the boards for the first train to Clapham, see one due in two minutes. Make it to the platform , jump on, train starts pulling out, announcement says first stop Woking…..nearly had a fit until I found the guard and she assured me the train WAS stopping at Clapham, which it duly did.

Minstral25

Established Member
My neighbour ended up in Peterborough recently, after his train was amended to run non-stop from Stevenage to Peterborough. He is adamant there was no PA from the driver in his carriage (declassified first in a 700/1), though the PIS was working complete with auto announcements. Needless to say he was absolutely fuming, indeed if he'd been on a service half an hour later there would have been no train back due to time of night. I merely reminded him why I rarely use the train these days - I've never had this experience, but I did have to walk from Stevenage to Hitchin at midnight one day last year due to a signal failure!

Similar happened to me recently - I caught the train (a 700/1) at St Pancras on time, but by East Croydon the train was 20 minutes late, so Control obviously decided to run down the Quarry Line avoiding my call at Redhill, unfortunately the display inside the train did not change and I had headphones on - so of course I ended up at Gatwick instead of Redhill. Then a 20-25 minute wait to get back plus the additional journey time I was very late home.

Lack of ability to put messages on a 700 to advise of changed calling patterns is a definite weakness.

Miken

On the Westbound Elizabeth Line platform at Paddington at the moment (1830 on 260423) and the designators above the doors bear absolutely no resemblance to the announcements or on-train displays. I'm trusting the announcements as they do agree with the on-train displays.

hick

Elizabeth line platforms displays are due to be connected to Darwin soon so that info should improve.

All train fleets need connecting to Darwin really. Whilst it's possible to manually change calling patterns from some controls for some fleets, the control will likely struggle to update that and Darwin and every other system they've got.

One point of truthful input feeding multiple outputs is the key, but we're a ways off that currently

philjo

Established Member
thanks
The PIS on a 700 is definitely not a reliable source of information:

I had a similar message at Cambridge a couple of weeks ago saying that the doors would not open at this station.
The diagram also incorrectly said I was in the 2nd of 12 coaches. It was an 8 coach train!

The carriage diagrams are also often back to front saying I am near the front of the train when I am actually near the back.

dub

Oh and they're getting worse - two out of five 8 car trains I get on these days either think they're back to front (sitting in carriage 7 screen says carriage 2) or are a 12 car train. Even though we're on the Sutton loop!

webbfan

Elizabeth line platforms displays are due to be connected to Darwin soon so that info should improve.

All train fleets need connecting to Darwin really. Whilst it's possible to manually change calling patterns from some controls for some fleets, the control will likely struggle to update that and Darwin and every other system they've got.

One point of truthful input feeding multiple outputs is the key, but we're a ways off that currently

Just as an aside, this is something TrainFX gets right. It can be altered remotely by control with no action by the crew - in disruption sometimes as crew the first clue you get is the displays change to show an earlier terminating station/intermediate stops cancelled before you get a call from control to inform you.

Trainfx displays on Northern trains automatically get updates from Darwin - not direct as too many messages - but filtered and delivered depending on route. That includes changes to arrival times as well as updates to stopping pattern.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Or sometimes it'll be the chime and crackling sounds/a very muffled voice that you can't understand. Bit worrying really because the driver probably thinks we can hear them.

I believe for PA messages, they need to press and hold a button to activate the mic. I assume that's to ensure it can't be left in this mode by mistake and everyone in the train gets to hear inside the cab.

Krokodil

Established Member
Looking after customers, including accurate stopping information in this case, is the number one job of any business, not an add-on if the staff have time.
What you need then is a member of staff dedicated to looking after the customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.