• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Consumer rights when flights change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Wondering if anyone can shed any light on legal rights when flights are rescheduled....?

I booked with kiwi.com to fly to Tirana for 2 days soon, with a return flight leaving Tirana soon after 3pm in the afternoon.

kiwi.com have since informed me that the return flight has been rescheduled to leave Tirana at 7am. I told them this is not acceptable because (a) there's no way I can get to the airport in time for a 7am flight, and (b) since I'm only going for 2 days, that knocks out a huge chunk of my stay - enough to make it scarcely worth going, and (c) it turns a 1 hour wait for a connecting flight (Tirana - Milan - London) into a 9 hour wait. Accordingly, I have declined to accept the rescheduling.

By way of response, kiwi have offered me an alternative flight leaving late morning, but told me I have to pay them another £250 if I want that flight. They've also told me I can request a refund instead, but if I do, they'll charge a cancellation fee, and they'll only give me a refund if they, as the booking agent, can get the money back from the airlines. (Since there's a change of flight and a couple of different airlines involved, my suspicion is, that means no refund).

Morally, it seems to me that if kiwi.com can't put me on another flight at approximately the same time I booked, and at their expense, then there's no question I should have a full refund, since kiwi.com are refusing to provide me with what I paid them for - and legally I would have thought that consumer protection laws ought to have something to say about that. Another issue is that, even if I get a refund from them, because of the way ticket prices go up the nearer you get to the day of travel, it would now cost me massively more to book alternative flights than it would have originally cost me to book something different in the first place.

But I'm not sure if rules about flights might mean consumer rights are a bit more restricted here? Anyone have any thoughts/advice on what to do in this kind of situation?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
What do the T&Cs of the company you booked with say?

I once had Monarch change a flight I booked from something like 5pm to something like 6am, which meant using public transport to get to the airport was no longer possible. They tried to argue it was a 'minor change' because their T&Cs only included changes of at least 12 hours and tried to offer me a flight extending my holiday by an extra day (for an additional charge.) However, I did get them to reluctantly refund the fee paid and went somewhere else with another airline instead.

In contrast an easyJet flight I once booked had it's landing slot changed by 5 minutes and they offered me the chance to move to another flight for free if that was no longer convenient!

najaB

Veteran Member
IANAL, but my understanding is that if you just purchased flights then, once ticketed, the contract is between you and the airline not the booking agent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In contrast an easyJet flight I once booked had it's landing slot changed by 5 minutes and they offered me the chance to move to another flight for free if that was no longer convenient!

It used to be the case that if a flight in an easyJet booking was disrupted in near enough any way (not a minor on the day delay, but certainly a planned rescheduling, even by one minute, or a cancellation), that entire booking would become fully flexible i.e. changeable and refundable at no cost. As I used to book work flights in big chunks with about 10 return journeys in each booking, this was quite useful on more than one occasion. I think they've now fixed it, though, so it's only that journey pair.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
(c) it turns a 1 hour wait for a connecting flight (Tirana - Milan - London) into a 9 hour wait

That might prove a blessing in disguise, as a 1 hour connection is very rarely adequate at any airport. If it's ticketed separately and you miss it, it'll be your loss, too.

As to the rules, I have a feeling they can do this, silly though it is.

Groningen

Established Member
Currently there are huge problems with Ryanair. There are many that want to have compensation, because of the pilot strike. All around Europe for about 4 million euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.