• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contacting Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
As someone who has to deal with queries from people (not customers tho!) at work sometimes, I much prefer to receive an e-mail. That way, I can find out what they want to know, ask other people if necessary, and provide them with a considered response giving the info that they need. It's all logged, and if I (say) went off sick tomorrow, someone else would pick it up. As it currently stands with work, if they ring up now, they won't get an answer as nobody has been there for a month! If they send an e-mail, one of us who is working at home will pick it up and answer it as best we can, or will be able to advise that we'll get back to them in due course when we are in a position to do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I'm not quite sure that it's true that no-one monitors letters. I've worked in call-centre environments for the last 20 years, and most large companies have a mail room that scans documents and uploads them onto the relevant system. I would agree that it can take a bit longer with physical correspondence, but that's purely due to the nature of the postal system and the workload of those in said mail room. In my last situation (complaint handler for one of the big six energy companies) outgoing responses were composed on web forms, then printed centrally before posting. Everything was recorded on the complaint log.

There is a lot to be said for non-voice communication in these situations. The person at the receiving end is able to digest the facts without the emotions, and they can spend more time dealing with the actual issue rather than having to calm someone down first and then address the problem. There's nothing worse than trying to get to the bottom of a problem with a customer giving you earache at the same time.

We had five letters in the whole of last year, and this year was set to be less anyway. It’s really not worth having a system set up for it. Certainly years ago there were more, but it’s now email and webchat that all writing is done in.
You say that ''you can usually put what you want in a letter'' because it's not monitored. The customer with a bit of nous who's received one of these letters ''promising the earth'' is then in a very good position should the promises fail to materialise, assuming they hang on to the letter. My hanging on to old letters has saved me hundreds of pounds in bills over the years, caused British Gas to abandon a ludicrous County Court action against me with a letter of unreserved apology and a 'goodwill' cheque for their proven insolence!

Personally, my arguing abilities on the phone are constrained by my natural good naturedness and general politeness! I hate to lose my temper, particularly with strangers whom I can't even see. In a letter, I can refine it to make sure I make all the points I wish to make,firmly but without emotion, make it clear I'm neither a halfwit nor a chancer, won't be browbeaten and just wish to sort the matter out, whatever it is.

All those points can be made in an email and dealt with much faster. Why slow the process down for yourself? All emails are attributed to a named individual, we no longer sign letters. They just have a “Customer Services Agent” as the sign off. Academic of course right now as the office is closed and everyone is home-working, and there’s no redirection currently in place!

Trackman

Established Member
I've been winding up an estate up in the last couple of weeks, I have got through to most companies banks, sky etc., near enough straight away. DWP was a cinch as I used the 'Tell us once service' .
The only people I cannot contact is Virgin Media, waiting time 'an hour or more' and there is nothing I can do via the website.
My only worry is they wont backdate a disconnection of a service and still charge until I contact them, I wonder how I stand with this? Virgin media seem pretty reasonable, I'll report back.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only people I cannot contact is Virgin Media, waiting time 'an hour or more' and there is nothing I can do via the website.

Looks like there's a form you can download and send via email here?

Trackman

Established Member

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for that @ainsworth74 I didn't spot this, but I need to talk to them about something else relevant too.
Ah well, good luck with getting through to them! It was a pain organising my grandfather's affairs when he passed and we didn't have to deal with a pandemic.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Like it or not all companies must have a registered address at which documents may be served on them. They might not like getting old fashioned post but if there appears to be no other option sending something to the company registered address is the best way and should not be ignored.

Trackman

Established Member
Ah well, good luck with getting through to them! It was a pain organising my grandfather's affairs when he passed and we didn't have to deal with a pandemic.
I got through to them near enough straight away today.
She was a new homeworker and they have been rolling out new laptops and VoIP gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.