• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless Payments On Board Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
So I've just used contactless on Stagecoach Western for the first time since they upgraded their ERGs.

Are they set up to be in Transit Mode? After the driver selected the ticket I tapped my card and it printed the ticket immediately and no payment has been reserved from my bank.

They also seem to be much quicker to use than the Ticketer machines as well.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Paid by contactless on a Network Warrington bus at the weekend on one of their cat branded services, they haven't invested in any new ticket machines instead they have a contactless touch pad where place your card or phone.
I believe that Transdev's 36 had a similar product before they invested in new Ticketer machines.
Sam

Eyersey468

Established Member
So I've just used contactless on Stagecoach Western for the first time since they upgraded their ERGs.

Are they set up to be in Transit Mode? After the driver selected the ticket I tapped my card and it printed the ticket immediately and no payment has been reserved from my bank.

They also seem to be much quicker to use than the Ticketer machines as well.
My understanding is the money doesn't come out straight away

ChrisPJ

Bus Vannin in Isle of Man and Libertybus in Jersey are both now on contactless. Don't know about Guernsey but probably not yet.

philjo

Established Member
I have used contactless on Stagecoach buses in Cumbria. Though be prepared to pay cash. in some of the more remote areas there is no mobile signal so the contactless will not work.
Also if there is a long queue they sometimes decide strictly cash only. e.g. This has happened a couple of times boarding at Windermere station. There is a ticket seller by the bus stop you can purchase tickets from. but as soon as the bus arrives, it is strictly cash only on the bus (though the bus is next to the Booth's ATM) Normally I buy the £28 weekly ticket onto the stagecoach smartcard anyway so an using the smartcard for the rest of the week (the daily equivalent fare is £11.30 so a weekly is cheaper if using it more than 3 days !)

I used contactless on the Swanage-Bournemouth open-top service yesterday.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I have used contactless on Stagecoach buses in Cumbria. Though be prepared to pay cash. in some of the more remote areas there is no mobile signal so the contactless will not work.
Also if there is a long queue they sometimes decide strictly cash only. e.g. This has happened a couple of times boarding at Windermere station. There is a ticket seller by the bus stop you can purchase tickets from. but as soon as the bus arrives, it is strictly cash only on the bus (though the bus is next to the Booth's ATM) Normally I buy the £28 weekly ticket onto the stagecoach smartcard anyway so an using the smartcard for the rest of the week (the daily equivalent fare is £11.30 so a weekly is cheaper if using it more than 3 days !)

I used contactless on the Swanage-Bournemouth open-top service yesterday.

Cash only to save time makes no sense - contactless transactions in Cambridge are near instant!

Or is it because the signal is so poor, the lpng queue will tale forever because of people trying contactless and it failing again and again?

philjo

Established Member
Cash only to save time makes no sense - contactless transactions in Cambridge are near instant!

Or is it because the signal is so poor, the lpng queue will tale forever because of people trying contactless and it failing again and again?
I suspect it is partly due to poor signal in some areas. Also at Windermere station the signal is good but there is often a large number of overseas visitors (a lot from China in particular) alighting from the train who would only have non-UK bank cards which may be the issue.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I suspect it is partly due to poor signal in some areas. Also at Windermere station the signal is good but there is often a large number of overseas visitors (a lot from China in particular) alighting from the train who would only have non-UK bank cards which may be the issue.
Not sure about the Vix machines but certainly the Ticketer ones only accept Visa and Mastercard.
Sam

Arriva Fan

Are you by any chance aware as to what ticketing system they are using?
Ticketer or another company (Parkeon or Vix for example)
Sam

Isle of Man Transport selected Ticketer due to their ability to also supply handheld ETMs for use on Isle Of Man Railways.

skifans

My experience with Stagecoach CNL is they take ages. Don't know if it is signal or some other problem or what. It say it takes quite a bit longer then cash with exact change, and maybe similar to someone needing change.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is there any reason why Arriva are still soldering on with their Wayfarer's and they haven't gone down the route of most of the other main players have of replacing their machines with Ticketer?
I was going to get an Arriva bus earlier on before realising that I did not have enough actual cash on me and the bus did not accept card. Ended up walking, did me good I suppose! :D
Sam

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Is there any reason why Arriva are still soldering on with their Wayfarer's and they haven't gone down the route of most of the other main players have of replacing their machines with Ticketer?
I was going to get an Arriva bus earlier on before realising that I did not have enough actual cash on me and the bus did not accept card. Ended up walking, did me good I suppose! :D
Sam

Arriva are understood to be going contactless gradually, through to next year. I believe one area has already changed (but I can't recall which one).

Man of Kent

Arriva are understood to be going contactless gradually, through to next year. I believe one area has already changed (but I can't recall which one).
Arriva trialled Ticketer at Guildford and will now roll it out across the group. Ticketer's press release says it involves 3500 machines, to be installed from November until summer 2019.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yorkshire Tiger has started accepting contactless payments, replacing their old machines with Ticketer.

Another issue with the Ticketer machines is that they take a good 5 minutes to boot up. As they're Android tablets (aren't they?) this seems excessive.

First's implementation also prints the silly little card receipt.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Another issue with the Ticketer machines is that they take a good 5 minutes to boot up. As they're Android tablets (aren't they?) this seems excessive.

First appear to be the only one that I have seen that prints off another ticket with a receipt on.
Still, gives me another McDonald's voucher to use!
Sam

johntea

Established Member
Transdev Harrogate now include the card receipt on the main ticket, but often annoyingly print out an extra ticket anyway advertising one thing or the other (most recently advertising the 1N services!)

philjo

Established Member
Arriva have started accepting contactless on services across Hertfordshire over the last couple of months.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Arriva trialled Ticketer at Guildford and will now roll it out across the group. Ticketer's press release says it involves 3500 machines, to be installed from November until summer 2019.

That explains why Arriva NE are bringing in new machines even though we've had contactless up here for 18 months.

Are Arriva going to keep the yellow pads or just going to stick with the scanner built into the Ticketer machine?

Arriva and Go do too. Useful, I think, but YMMV.

Aictos

Established Member
Arriva have started accepting contactless on services across Hertfordshire over the last couple of months.

And Bedfordshire too, it was launched on the Luton Busway back late Feb/early March by Arriva and now Centrebus offer it too, no idea on Grant Palmer though.

The only drawback with Centrebus is their smartcard no longer works with the new ticketing machines so one step forward and two steps back :rolleyes:

chubs

Still waiting for Konect / ex Anglian in Norfolk to get with the times.

First Norwich drivers seem fully to grips with it now, no issues at all using contactless to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.